Best Amp made by Stax for Omega II
Apr 10, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #61 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are high res pictures of the KGSS boards out there which are easy to make a BOM from. All resistors are RN60 Vishay's except the higher wattage units for which you can use what ever fits the budget. The rest is easy to figure out.

So the parts for the KGSS pcbs that Justin sells are all available, right?

Apr 10, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #62 of 75
Apr 11, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #63 of 75
Thanks for those John. I'm planning to get started on building things this month so they will be very helpful.

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #65 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmatrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

I uploaded the BOM for the KGSS. Below is the orginal BOM. Some of the parts aren't available anymore but it includes both power supplies.

2shared - download kgss_parts.xls

Additionally, here is the BOM I used. Most of the parts should be available, except for the 2sk which can be replaced by the lsk. BTW, is the lsk matched pair better?

2shared - download kgss_parts_nathan (version 1).xls

everytime I try downloading the files I get redirected to a burger king site. How do you download this?

Apr 11, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #66 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the parts for the KGSS pcbs that Justin sells are all available, right?

Yes, except the 2SK389. You can still find them though on ebay and the like. The MAT02 in the BOM is a replacement but not a drop in as you need to do some changes. 2SK170's are still easily found and just match them into pairs or buy them from here. The BOM needs some work, especially the 2-3W resistors for the audio section but these parts are easy to find but the rest looks good. The transformer you can get from SumR, built to your spec. I'm using one of these in my KGSS and it works great and is much smaller then the old Victoria Magnetics units. No hum either and pretty cheap, even with a core band for audio use. The LED's I use is from Mouser and can be found here. It's out of stock at the moment though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
everytime I try downloading the files I get redirected to a burger king site. How do you download this?

There is a small download link on the bottom of the page, the rest are just ads.

Apr 11, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #67 of 75
Quote:

There is a small download link on the bottom of the page, the rest are just ads.

my bad. My tired eyes missed the little download sign. Thank you.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #68 of 75
For those of you getting ready to build the KGSS, you may want to look at the 2sc3676. It has twice the current capacity of the 2sc3675 (but twice the capacitance) so you may be able to run the KGSS at higher voltages. I looking into this now to see what else needs to be changed in the PS and channel.

edit: fixed part number

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #69 of 75
johnmatrix, you posted:-
Quote:

For those of you getting ready to build the KGSS, you may want to look at the 2sc3676. It has twice the current capacity of the 2sc3676

The device numbers are the same. Typo?

What about a Blue Hawaii PS?

Apr 14, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #70 of 75
The KGSS was designed to use 3675's but 3676 can be used as a sub. I wouldn't recommend increasing the drive voltages with this board layout though as it would generate too much heat. You also need to scrap all the resistors, the 1156's and 3675/6's for higher rated parts. On the to-do list is a supercharged KGSS with the killer T2DIY PSU and running at a much higher voltage.

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #71 of 75
Yeah I took a look at the circuit and realized it would require a total rebuild. Oh well, I will have to find something else to scratch my current DIY itch.

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #72 of 75
There is one thing you could do which I know KG has tried as he told me about it last summer. Swap out the 1156s for 1486 and the C3675 for 2sc5563, use the 1/2W PRP resistors or the 1/2W Xicon's for everything (both should fit in the RN60 footprint) and either use the 2.5" heatsinks or use a similar arrangement to the SRM-717 for the increased heat. Now bump the PSU to +/-500V for 1900VP-P which beats even the BH and T2.
smily_headphones1.gif
Let's just say this is on the to-do list...
tongue.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #73 of 75
spritzer: Is this something that will work on existing boards?

Apr 18, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #75 of 75
Quote:

It could be done if the 2.5" heatsinks can take the load. Otherwise you would have to use some other heatsink solution and air wire the transistors. The rest of the parts would all fit on the boards without any mods.

wink.gif
And at first I thought it was a vulcano...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back