best amp + headphone for rock music
Sep 17, 2002 at 9:34 PM Post #16 of 34
redshifter
HI: I don't mean to dispute you but the koss portapros are not dark if you cut a round hole in the pads the size of a quarter and tame the bass and let the highs and mids out and then hit them with a cmoy 2-9 volt amp that is very strong and very clean and very much alive and still going strong and for me will never be absolute. Its is a great amp right now even though there are new and better amps being made. And keep in mind that the cmoy cost me 80.00 used. What a bargain.

Sep 17, 2002 at 10:01 PM Post #17 of 34
Beyer 770's
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2002 at 10:34 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
redshifter
HI: I don't mean to dispute you but the koss portapros are not dark if you cut a round hole in the pads the size of a quarter and tame the bass and let the highs and mids out and then hit them with a cmoy 2-9 volt amp that is very strong and very clean and very much alive and still going strong and for me will never be absolute. Its is a great amp right now even though there are new and better amps being made. And keep in mind that the cmoy cost me 80.00 used. What a bargain.

i believe you, but i have owned the portapros and i didn't care for the fit and build either, or the looks for that matter. besides, i already have headphones in that quality range, and am searching for something higher. again, to my ears there just wasn't enough detail and too much boomy bass. to your ears they sound good. nobody is wrong here.

dang, that's another vote for the dt770. $179 is a very good price, and leaves plenty left over for an amp and source upgrade. circumaural looks comfortable as well.

Sep 17, 2002 at 11:34 PM Post #19 of 34
AudioValve RKV (US$850 @ Meier Audio)
Beyer DT770 (US$140 @ Meier Audio)

Hey, that's US$10 less than US$1K, but you wouldn't ever need to upgrade (replace the tubes occasionally, that's about it).

(Alright, that's an exaggeration, but I've been happy with that combo for quite some time.)

Sep 18, 2002 at 1:09 AM Post #20 of 34
on looks alone the dt770 is one ugly headphone, but that audiovalve amp is sweet!

Sep 18, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
on looks alone the dt770 is one ugly headphone, but that audiovalve amp is sweet!

It doesn't look as bad in person.

Not to get too off topic, whats with the care about looks all of a sudden? Have headfiers been hanging out with Calvin Klein?

confused.gif

Sep 18, 2002 at 1:45 AM Post #22 of 34
i know looks aren't important, but since i have heard neither that's all i have to comment on. besides, because i'm so handsome, ugly headphones look even worse when i wear them.
smily_headphones1.gif

so we have the:
akg 240s
beyer dt770 pro
grado rs1

and a bunch of high end amps, the majority i think are tube based.

is there a reason the hd600 and er4s have not come up? too refined for rock? there is a lot of badly recorded rock out there, and i know some cans are unforgiving of poor recordings (the er6 comes to mind).

out of the three mentioned, is there a clear winner for comfort? i have a pretty large head (most headphone headbands have to be fully extended to fit, some are even too small for my melon), but my ears are normal sized. i also have tmj, so i can't take much pressure on my jaw. are all of these cans bendable, i.e. metal construction in the headband, so they can be adjusted if they clamp too hard?

without having heard any of these i am leaning toward the beyers, if only because i live in a noisy place and they are closed, and so many experts here have recommended them. is it true they are 600 ohm? looks like i'll need a 2 watt amp like the rkv.

thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. my upgraditus is just getting worse. i have to go bury my wallet in the back yard now.

Sep 18, 2002 at 4:53 AM Post #23 of 34
There are 250 and 600 ohm versions of the beyer dt770 pro. I would like to hear them myself but I think the rs-1's really do suit the way I like my music. I plan to upgrade my amp soon, then my source way in the future when I have a permenant home.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure you will be happy with what ever you decide on getting.

Biggie.

Sep 18, 2002 at 10:05 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by SumB
The RS-1 stands alone as far as rock is concerned. Pair with a capable amp like the [size=small]Earmax Pro[/size] for best results.

Damn i love my earmax pro.. i get a big fat smile across my face just seeing it.
cool.gif

Sep 18, 2002 at 10:22 AM Post #26 of 34
Hi Redshifter,

While I have not heard, much less seen, the Sony MDR-CD3000s, I believe Beowulf was singing their praises as a rock headphone par excellence.

For what it is worth, I rock-out with my Grado SR-60s straight outta the Onkyo receiver
biggrin.gif
That said, the AKG K240 Studio phones have certainly picqued my interest. Looking forward to hearing what you decide to go with.

PS: Any idea where I might be able to pick up a tasty sacred cow burger?
tongue.gif

Sep 18, 2002 at 3:39 PM Post #28 of 34
Please enlighten me: some mention the "Beyer DT 770" and some mention the "Beyer DT 770 PRO"... Are these different models, or it's a one and only model (the one to be seen on Dr. Meier's website and which has the word "professional" printed on it)?
confused.gif

NotoriousBIG_PJ:

You say that "There are 250 and 600 ohm versions of the beyer dt770 pro". On Dr. Meier's website only the 250 ohm seems to be available. Could you, please, elaborate a bit on the differences between the two impedance versions? Where would be the 600 ohms available (if it's better than the 250 ohms)?

Finally, you think the Beyer 770 (PRO? 250 ohms or 600 ohms?) are definitely better than the Beyer DT 931 or 831 for rock, do you?

Sep 18, 2002 at 6:33 PM Post #29 of 34
stymie & hirsch,
i have had my eye on the cd3000 for a while now. i'm glad to hear they can rock out with the best of them. it sounds like another high end sony can that needs just the right amp to sound fantastic. i hope i can audition some of these combinations, i'd hate to spend $1,000 and find out something is missing from the equation. of course pj is probably right, they're all so good i'll be happy with whatever i choose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back