Best Amp for Westone UM3X?
Nov 15, 2009 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Michael Jennings

100+ Head-Fier
I've read through the UM3X appreciation thread, but couldn't tell if there was any consensus on what amp or type of amp brings out their full potential. The IEM's sound great with my Lisa III, but I'm not fully satisfied with the sound I get from my Pico--and I'd like something portable that makes them sound great.

Thanks!

Nov 15, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 10
To me they sound very good from my D10 with HiFlights chipset although they do pick up the very slightest hiss in this configuration but run the amp in lo gain at it should not bother anybody.

Nov 15, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 10
They are quite good with an RSA Mustang, as well as just about anything else by Ray Samuels.

Nov 16, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 10
I loved the UM3X with a borrowed Xin SuperMini IV, but alas, it's back with its owner and I'm in the same position as you.

As of now, I'm trying to decide between the RSA Shadow, ALO Rx and the iBasso T3.

What was it about the Pico that you didn't like?

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #6 of 10
It isn't terrible or anything. It's just that the UM3X's are a bit warm, as is the Pico, and it thus has a bit too much "bloom" for me.

Nov 16, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Jennings /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It isn't terrible or anything. It's just that the UM3X's are a bit warm, as is the Pico, and it thus has a bit too much "bloom" for me.

Then try the ALO Rx, I think you will like it.

Nov 16, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ting.mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then try the ALO Rx, I think you will like it.

RX is currently sold out on ALO website

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #9 of 10
Ken is apparently in the process of building another batch of Rx amps. who knows how long they'll last, but i imagine he'll build some more after that.

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Jennings /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Try iQube, it is very transparent, no coloration added it. There is a slight hiss but not noticeable once music is playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back