Best amp for W1000s under $450-
Jul 7, 2008 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

peteham

100+ Head-Fier
Already owning the Gilmore Lite, which does the W1000s no favours, what's the best amp for these cans to bring out some bottom end? Perhaps I should move this thread to the amp threads?

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #2 of 9
I have my W1000 amped with the G&W ATH-F100 headphone amp. G&W is a chinese brand and this particular amp was supposedly authorised by Audio-Technica to be built for the W1000. All tests were done by the W1000 and its circuit is, also supposedly, based around the ATH-HA2002 and has a MOSFET output, like most AT headamps, I think.. and it is made in Tsinghua University (like the Harvard of the eastern world and is one of the finest universities in the world - look it up!)..

With regards to the sound, I think it does the job it promised to do plus more. I mean, there is only so much you can expect from a budget component, add the fact that it is a chinese amp, but this particular amp did exceed my expectations, by a lot actually. Bass quality is very much improved, but not an increase in impact. The mids I can't tell the difference, but perhaps a little warmer. The highs are where the amp works its magic - the harshness of the W1000 is dramatically reduced, everything sounds so much more relaxed and smooth without losing the impact - whereas before the highs of the W1000 sounded terrible - very sharp and edgy. Overall, the amp is very 'fast' sounding which is great with the high detail of the W1000 and quite warm for a SS. With nothing further to say, I must mention that this amp is worth a try if you can track one down and very cheap for what it does, as far as I'm concerned..

..and yes, probably you should've posted in the amp section.. and to make this post sound friendly.. here is a smiley!
smily_headphones1.gif

PS. That smiley is genuine..

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #3 of 9
Sorry to hijack this thread, although the answer you seek is the one I am seeking ultimately.

Anyway, to quickly dive off topic briefly I am using my w1000's with imod, vcap dock and little dot II, yet I cant put the volume up more than 8th of a turn or if the volume is 0 at 6pm i cant turn it above 8pm without deafening me.

Is this normal, do these cans need amps, and like the op what amp would be suitable for such an undemanding (I am presuming) phone

Oct 5, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 9
Well, for the record, I'm having noise issues with my Doge 6210 + W1000.  Such problem does not happen with higher impedance headphones.  So, I take my recommendation back.

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #9 of 9
Yes. :)

But I search a lot the threads, learning from it.  I thought other people would do the same and thus I tried to add my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back