Best amp for the AKG701
Dec 20, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #76 of 90
OP,

I've read another thread regarding the Heed Canamp, and one of the Head-Fier had done the comparision of 3 amps for the K701, and I remember that he (Miguel ?) ranked them:

1. MAD EAR+ Purist HD
2. Heed Canamp
3. Corda HeadFive

The ranking is also coincided with their market prices.

John_M,

If you believe that amps don't make any difference, and you're trying to use Head-Fi as a place to test out your thesis, then I would suggest that you'd rather save your time and your reputation, and take it somewhere else.

We don't live in the perfect world, and imperfection is everywhere. It happens that some of the imperfections, known as "Distortion" in audio term, are more pleasant to our ears than others. These types of imperfections are highly appreciated by some of us, and funny enough that some of us even starve themselves to save up for their equipment.

In my opinion, your belief is best demonstrated on papers and mathematics, but you're going to be proven wrong by a bunch of people with common senses.
wink.gif

Dec 20, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #77 of 90
Well said, elrod-tom. IMO, your comments should be a sticky, or in the forum guidelines.

P.S. There ought to be a rule that no one can imply we're all a bunch of idiots until they have at least 500 posts. It's always fascinating to me that new members love to come onto this board and tell us what schmucks we all are. I mean, from the very beginning I thought my father-in-law's politics were quite disagreeable, but I waited until I was married to his daughter a few years before I told him so.
orphsmile.gif

Dec 20, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #78 of 90
Sorry guys for interjecting, as you are absolutely correct ... there has been too much thread crapping and hijacking going on recently. I'd just like to direct anyone who's been following ( and especially leading ) the off-topic "amplifiers all sound the same" argument to the following thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...73#post2571173

Again, my apologies for the interuption but I think this is important as partial information can be very misleading.

Dec 21, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #79 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by John_M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lots of people saying they can hear differences. I'd be interested to know what controlled tests you've all conducted. I was criticised on the other thread for relying on DBTs without conducting my own. The reason I don't is that it would be far too time consuming and I doubt I'd be able to do it properly. I'd have to ensure both amps are playing at an equal volume - and I wouldn't be able to do this properly.

All of you who claim major differences between amps - are you creating proper test conditions when you compare the amps (eg ensuring they are playing at equal volume) - or are you simply pulling the lead out of one amp and plugging it into the next one?

HOLY COW, DUDE! GIVE IT UP ALREADY!

Seriously, do you honestly believe the crap coming out of your mouth?!

If someone constantly goes on and on about double-blind testing, "strange" claims, and placebo effects on something such as different amps sounding "different", but refuses to runs tests himself because he doesn't have the time (but apparently has plenty of time to blabber on in this forum all day) and ONLY relies on what "professional" testing, then there's something clearly wrong with that individual.

You apparently have no sense of sound, a tin ear (or two) and gear that is NOT good enough to notice any difference. SS amps don't all sound the same. Tube amps don't all sound the same. Hybrid SS/tube amps don't all sound the same. In fact, I have yet to see two amps that DO sound the same, or even similar for that matter, and I have heard tons of amps in my day.

YOU have absolutely no business being on a forum like this, or any other audio forum for that matter, and it absolutely pisses me off when someone like you comes on here and trys to tell me that the differences I hear from my Audigy2 soundcard and my LDM+ is all "just in my head".

It's quite funny that both of my brothers (who have never been on this forum nor read reviews on the Audigy2 or LDM+) came to the same exact conclusion when they listened to both amps with the same headphones. Now how do you explain that?!

BTW, why are you even a member of this forum?!
blink.gif

Dec 21, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #80 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry guys for interjecting, as you are absolutely correct ... there has been too much thread crapping and hijacking going on recently. I'd just like to direct anyone who's been following ( and especially leading ) the off-topic "amplifiers all sound the same" argument to the following thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...73#post2571173

Again, my apologies for the interuption but I think this is important as partial information can be very misleading.

Woops! Sorry. I didn't see your last post until I just did my last post above.

Dec 21, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #81 of 90
Quote:

I think you're missing the point a bit. The issue isn't whether there's a difference between amped and unamped. The issue is whether different amps of reasonable quality sound the same.

There is no such thing as "amped or unamped."

All headphone or speaker level signals are amplified. The question is whether or not you're using a *second* or third amplifier in the chain, by adding an external one.

The iPod amplifier is of reasonable quality for its intended purpose (driving high sensitivity headphones, or other amplifiers).

The point I was trying to make is different designs sound different. No one will argue that a PPX3 SLAM or HeadAmp or hell a $2500 electrostatic amp is of unreasonable quality. And yet, they sound completely different. The "texture control" on the PPX3 can change the sound in realtime. Hint: it's not a tone control. It's not a band, low, or high pass filter. it changes an operating property of the amp (the damping factor) and ALL amps have their own defined damping factor (though not usually adjustable).

If you hook speakers up to an electrostatic amp, you won't hear anything (or at least not what you were expecting). It's a reasonable quality amp, which sounds much different than another reasonable quality amp.

Tubes produce a more euphonic sound, because of (pleasurable to many) their harmonic distortion patterns. This is a measured property. Transistors produce less, but of a different type. Again this is a measured property.

Anyway, I'm done.

To the OP, I really like Gilmore's amps (GS-1/Gilmore Lite) and think they would pair well for detail, if somewhat sterile. And sorry for going offtopic on your thread. It won't happen again.
frown.gif

May 4, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #82 of 90
I'm considering going back to a pair of K701's, but Im kina confused on whether the PPX3 SLAM that I have will drive them well. The big tube is a 6sn7 and the two little tubes are 5687's.

May 5, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #84 of 90
Choose one with warm sound, and good in soundstage; only this is able to synergy with your K-701.

Sep 1, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #87 of 90
Quote:

I'm not "trolling." I was accused of the same thing on the thread querying the importance of amps, where I dared to suggest that they weren't in fact especially important at all. I know it's off topic on this thread but the other one got closed down before I got a chance to reply to some of the posts. FYI I did not agree with the way the other guy, vai77, went off on one in that thread and I certainly don't agree with his view that you can hear a difference between CD files and lossless audio files.

My point is that I find it surprising, to say the least, that so many people on here take it as given that amps have a large impact on sound quality, when both measurements and double-blind tests suggest that they have little if any impact. Maybe it's because I'm quite new to the forum and don't really have a sense of the prevailing "orthodoxies" on here. I was also extremely surprised to hear people suggest that subjective listening experience was a better guide to whether or not there is a difference between amps than either measuring instruments or DBTs. Given the prevalence of what I'd describe as "strange" claims, I can't help but feel that people in the audio industry may have been spreading views which they know full well to be false (not necessarily on this forum).

Of course, if everyone here is quite happy to go out and buy their uber-expensive amps, and feels that these amps really do make a difference, then fine. It's really none of my business. But this is a large forum and unsuspecting people coming on here will use it as a source of information - I think that brings a responsibility to show at least a semblance of balance in what's posted. EG not making spurious claims like "everyone in the know believes amps make a massive difference" - as I understand, the majority of people with relevant technical expertise most certainly do not believe this.

FYI even a cynic like me makes some concession to the placebo effect. I found a double-blind test which proved (listening on Sennheiser Orpheus) that even the most sophisticated listeners couldn't tell CD from 256kbps MP3. But I rip to lossless anyway - just in case!

I think you are too quick to imply that audio is NOT a subjective experience. Personally, I find that statement to be false (from my experience). Enjoying audio has a lot to do both with the technical aspects, and the state of mind. What you might call placebo (and we'll never really know whether or not it's placebo, since there may be other factors involved), might be a minute difference, which to one person, will be all the difference that is required to upgrade.

I also believe in the theory that high-end audio is a bit like a tree. The closer you get to really high-end audio, the less deviation and varying opinions there will be from the state which we call "audiophile sound". Everyone may have their own tiny preferences, but everyone will at least be able to agree on what the audiophile sound is supposed to be. The implication of this, is that "audiophile sound" is a creation by the audiophile community -- people that care a lot about their sound. There is no absolute sound that dictates this -- rather, it's a congregation of what many people with experience think to be the true sound. What we tend to label as crappy sound and what is pushed by the mass market, is simply the sound that is agreed upon by the mass market to be good, where this mass market consists of people that don't care about their audio, show no devotion to the hobby, and will take whatever they can get. To them, it's good sound, but their opinions are (from my perspective) worthless in the audiophile community, since they do not share the same level of interest as we do. My outlook is an elitist outlook, however, I do not think that it is invalid, as in any field, those that are heavily involved know best.

Of course, this does not mean that we should accept things uncritically, however, I think personal anecdotal evidence is very important to the way people personally enjoy their audio. If this evidence consists of blind tests, then so be it. My evidence consists of switching components, and that's what I need to convince myself of a difference. If I have any doubts, I will keep on doing it until I either quell my doubts, or dismiss it as a fluke. If you were to ask me today which components I felt were worth the money, and which I felt were not, I could tell you exactly which ones were (and there are components on both sides). I'm not one to tell everyone that everything I have is the best in order to make myself feel better about it.

Sep 1, 2007 at 10:24 AM Post #88 of 90
What about the HeadRoom desktop balanced amp and K701 balanced combo? Has anybody listened to them?

This site is evil. I only have my MS2 for around one month, and I start wondering about balanced system....

Sep 1, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #89 of 90
If you want clear, analytical sound, try GS-1

If you prefer smoothier , more euphonic sound, try the tube amps. Not only amps that are critical, the IC and cd player are important as well.

As for the list of tube amps, i don agree with X can v3. Its either K701 has great synergy with GS1 or X can v3 doesn't work as well with the headphone. The Xcans with mullards work great with hd650 and rs1 but not k701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back