Best Amp For Sennheiser HD 700
Jul 4, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #16 of 21
Sorry to revive a month old thread but I just wanted to give my input on pairing the HD700 and O2+ODAC. I've been using that combo for a few months now and it's great. The HD700 is less picky to begin with, but the biggest difference I can compare with unamped (direct to my phone) is that it's much smoother and less ear fatiguing. I could not listen to high volumes for a long time unamped because the sound was very unrefined, but with the O2+ODAC it remains smooth on all volume levels. I have not had the chance to listen to the HD700 through any other amps, but to me the O2 is solid. There are still some peaks in treble, but nothing painful like how it is unamped. Also sibilance is there, but I think that's more due to the revealing nature of the HD700. After hearing sibilance in a song, I try it with other headphones, and I notice it too. The treble peaks and sibilance definitely seem to benefit from burn in (or just me getting used to it).
My only advice if you're looking to buy the O2+ODAC is to either buy it separate or choose a vendor that makes the combo also have the RCA out that supports DAC only use. The one I got from JDS Labs only has a line in so I could use the O2 amp standalone, but I cannot do so for the ODAC. This allows you to continue using the combo as a DAC if you ever want to upgrade the amp to something like a Bottlehead Crack.

I ordered a Woo Audio WA7 (also DAC/amp combo, $1000), and it should arrive in a week or two, so I'll be able to compare with the O2+ODAC. I regret not getting the O2+ODAC with the RCA out to truly compare how the ODAC compares with the WA7 DAC.

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #17 of 21
I ordered a Woo Audio WA7 (also DAC/amp combo, $1000), and it should arrive in a week or two, so I'll be able to compare with the O2+ODAC. I regret not getting the O2+ODAC with the RCA out to truly compare how the ODAC compares with the WA7 DAC.
can't wait to hear your impressions

Jul 5, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #18 of 21
Just for reference, I heard a musical hall tube amp with the hd700, and it sounded dynamic and spacey, all in all gorgeous

Jul 6, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #20 of 21
Yeah I'll be able to partially compare each amp and DAC with one another since the WA7 does allow for DAC only output. I'll post my findings here.

Thank you kind sir. It appears a pair of HD700 are in my future. I previously owned the hd600 and have auditioned the hd800 in the past. I'm excited about this looming purchase.

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #21 of 21
Here's my review:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/672758/woo-audio-wa7-vs-o2-odac-my-musings-and-review

Enjoy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back