Best amp for K712's?
Aug 7, 2015 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Dimension

New Head-Fier
So upon arriving to where I moved from a month ago I decided to take a long route to my friends because I kinda missed the place and low and behold I walked by the place I got drunk at the day before I left for a jam party there was an open mic night and the security guy was like "yo! I have your headphones!" I pretty much lost my mind because I didn't lose my babies after all!! Faith restored? I think so...

Anyways!

Now that I don't have to spend $700 I was thinking of how I'd like to try my first headphone amp for these lovelies so here I am! I'm looking for another k7xx lovers opinion on what amps really compliment these because I have heard many rumours on how they don't sound amazing until they get a specific amp (which I find hard to believe) so do tell! I mostly am mixing and producing IDM (look up tipper - homage sliders) but I listen to a wide range of music but would prefer something more toward music production than listening...

D

Aug 7, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #2 of 6
Clear bass thump and neutral all around: Meier Jazz. To be honest I haven't tried the Jazz itself but I have the Cantate and tried the Headfive, both driving the K702, K712, and Q701; the Jazz is basically the replacement for both (Cantate just has a USB input and a fancier Shanling case).

I asked Dr.Meier what the improvements are and aside from the technical stuff on the product blurb, he said the bass hits will be clearer and cleaner, as far as what can be easily perceived are concerned; tonally they'll be transparent as always (personally, between neutral amps, this really is the only difference anyway - and bad amps just tend to add the bass quantity but not the quality).

Also the volume control I think is more precise, so the gain settings aren't -10 and +6(?), so you can just keep just off zero with no imbalance as opposed to the -10dB low gain on the older amps.

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #6 of 6
Still haven't bought one after 3 months?  Is portability a necessity?  If not, the Gustard H10 is $300 on Massdrop right now.  I haven't used the H10 myself but it is known to hit far above its price point and has a good design.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/gustard-h10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back