Best amp for Ety ER4?
Jul 3, 2008 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

jtr3030

New Head-Fier
I don't like to be another one of those guys, but what do you think? I'm going to get the ER4P with a P>S converter. I'd like to stay under $150, but I'm willing to go over for the right amp. I'm mainly going to use it for my home computer.

I've read that the Minibox+E has good synergy with the ER4. Any other suggestions?

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 18
minibox e+ is the usual amp suggested for the er-4p. it also has a p-to-s switch built into the amp, so no need for a dongle.

I have a portable amp made by Headphonia (which is reviewed in Skylab's massive portable amp thread) that also packs a P-to-S switch, and I find that it sounds VERY nice with my ER-4P. They've been discontinued now though, so finding them used is the only way to go. The newer Headphonia amps ditch the P-to-S switch in favor of a bass boost (a poor decision in my estimation).

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 18
That or a Xin amp if you can find one.

The Supermini IV I used to have was fantastic. It has a built in PtoS converter, and it's one of maybe three or four portable amps that's actually easily portable, in that it isn't a pain to carry around.

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 18
He says he's not intending to use it portably, so I'm not sure size is much of a concern to him. It's a shame that the Xin amps are nearly impossible to obtain since they're so good.

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
minibox e+ is the usual amp suggested for the er-4p. it also has a p-to-s switch built into the amp, so no need for a dongle.

The newer Headphonia amps ditch the P-to-S switch in favor of a bass boost (a poor decision in my estimation).

I'm pretty sure the Minibox+E has a bass boost and P>S, so I'd rather go with that.

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That or a Xin amp if you can find one.

The Supermini IV I used to have was fantastic. It has a built in PtoS converter, and it's one of maybe three or four portable amps that's actually easily portable, in that it isn't a pain to carry around.

It doesn't seem like there's a switch for P>S, and I think I'd rather have a choice. Plus I didn't see a bass boost switch, which I like the idea of.

No, portability is not really an issue.

I tried to compare it with the Minibox+E, but the specs are a foreign language to me.

I found one on Xin Feng Company for $200.

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldenpig3888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you'd like to stay under $150,mini E+ is quite good for your Ety!

I only saw it for $180 on Head-Direct

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #9 of 18
Probably be able to pick up a used one from the FS forums for around $150.

Jul 3, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably be able to pick up a used one from the FS forums for around $150.

Ya,x2,I meant the used one!
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtr3030 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It doesn't seem like there's a switch for P>S, and I think I'd rather have a choice. Plus I didn't see a bass boost switch, which I like the idea of.

No, portability is not really an issue.

I tried to compare it with the Minibox+E, but the specs are a foreign language to me.

I found one on Xin Feng Company for $200.

There is such a switch. I had one for a while. It has a PtoS, bass boost, crossfeed and adjustable gain.

Jul 3, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is such a switch. I had one for a while. It has a PtoS, bass boost, crossfeed and adjustable gain.

Correct. All internal requiring the steady hands of a surgeon to change.
biggrin.gif

I had a SuperMini IV for a while too. It sounded very good but I didn't like the volume control.

Jul 3, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #13 of 18
Anything with a bass boost switch?
biggrin.gif

Seriously, though, I think a used Xin Supermini or Supermacro would do the trick: Built-in P-to-S conversion, swappable opamps, tiny, and a good bass boost. I wouldn't bother with trying to order a new one, since the wait seems to be 1 yr if you ever get it. The Supermacro with the external switches will make selecting options much easier (no surgeon skill required -- thank goodness I have small hands for my Supermini).

Jul 3, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #14 of 18
IMO the D2 Boa has great synergy with the ER4S as the Boa gives the slight bass hump the etys need without degrading ER4's signature detailed sound. But it's slightly out of your budget though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back