best amp for a dt770/80 under $100?
Jan 17, 2007 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

xstephanx

Head-Fier
Im getting a pair of beyerdynamic dt770-80 soon, and have come to understand that they NEED amplification. This isnt really a problem, but I've only got 100$(canadian!) to play around with. so what should i do for a portable DT770 amp under 100? go vibe? PA2V2? Cmoy even? LDM+ looks too weak but maybe. Help a guy out, everyone seems to be talking about 300$ desktop amplifiers with these cans
blink.gif

Jan 17, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 6
The correct answer is really - NONE. Take the time to save a few additional bucks and find a used Portaphile. Most will run them fine......UNTIL you run a track with a bass-heavy section.........or seriously heavy explosions in a game..........the sound you will get in those instances will be analogous to hair-in-the-Grado-drivers syndrome. My recollection of the Portaphile (maxxed) was it did fine with them (though I always had it plugged into an Elpac) - or you might find a Corda Head 5. You're getting a good headphone, don't screw up now by trying to be "clever".

Jan 18, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 6
not trying to be "clever" trying to be "portable". I have a desktop integrated from the 70s that has quite a good (and PAINFULLY powerful) headphone circut(powerful in the sense that by the time youre channels are balenced on some v6s, it uncomfortably loud). i doint listen to Rap, and i dont play games(well soldat, but that hardly counts), the most bass my music has really is compressed midbass(im a metalhead), and the stuff that doesnt, i dont usually listen to on the go (sigur ros, pink floyd etc).

this is also by no menas a permanent solution, i want to work my way up to an emmeline or a xin or RSA at some point, and darth my beyers(of course).

Jan 18, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #6 of 6
PM one of the forum builders to make a pimeta... Socket the OP amps so that way you can fine tune the sound to taste.

really like my misterX pimeta. It was probably a ~$100 build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back