Best Amp/DAC Suited for Gaming with DT990s?
Nov 19, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #16 of 35
There are differences between the K7xx, which is based on the 702s, and tuned to sound more like the 712s. I've heard both, and prefer the K712s still, but both still have a fairly spicy treble. They work better with warm amps.
They're very different from the X2 though. The X2 is on the warm side of neutral with what I think to be a FAR superior bass to the 990s. The treble is more controlled, but not the cleanest.

If you're using these for Arma, PUBG, or some similar game where positioning matters and margins of error are small, I'd recommend the x2 over the k712. it just images more accurately. I think the K712 edges out the x2 for specific types of music, but the x2 plays better with other music, and performs better in general non-music use. The offset is that the x2 is heavy, and can be uncomfortable to wear for hours at a time. No such problem with the k712. I think the better comparison in this case might be the K712, ATH-R70x, and X2. The 712s lean towards the bright side,, the r70s (or the hd600) tend toward neutral, and the x2s (or hd6xx) are warm. At least then you'd have a variety to judge from.

It may come down to the K712, X2, or the HD6XX then as I've tried the HD558s (with the mod to sound closer to the 598) and I just wasn't a fan of the neutrality.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions and insight, it helps me narrow it down to headphones that'll be the most suitable for me

Nov 29, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #17 of 35
UPDATE: Got the X2s two days ago and just got the AKG K712 Pro today.

My Schiit Stack (Magni 3 + Modi 2 Uber) is able to drive more power to the Fidelio X2 than the K712 Pro.

The X2 on High gain turned 75% is just about how loud the K712 sounds on High gain at 100% but, distortion is prevalent (muddy sounding) when I turn it that high on the K712. And the X2, hardly so.

Sort of expected the X2 to be have more volume I suppose, due to all the talk of the K712 being quite hard to drive and such.

I was expecting the K712 to be louder than it is now, especially with a Schiit Stack (with the more powerful Magni 3)..the difference in volume makes it quite difficult to compare the two.

Wasn't expecting such distortion at higher volume either.

Leaning towards the X2s so far because of this.

Is my AMP/DAC combo to blame? If so I highly doubt power is the issue. The Magni 3 is quite powerful as far as I know.

Some insight would be very appreciative!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #18 of 35
UPDATE: Got the X2s two days ago and just got the AKG K712 Pro today.

My Schiit Stack (Magni 3 + Modi 2 Uber) is able to drive more power to the Fidelio X2 than the K712 Pro.

The X2 on High gain turned 75% is just about how loud the K712 sounds on High gain at 100% but, distortion is prevalent (muddy sounding) when I turn it that high on the K712. And the X2, hardly so.

Sort of expected the X2 to be have more volume I suppose, due to all the talk of the K712 being quite hard to drive and such.

I was expecting the K712 to be louder than it is now, especially with a Schiit Stack (with the more powerful Magni 3)..the difference in volume makes it quite difficult to compare the two.

Wasn't expecting such distortion at higher volume either.

Leaning towards the X2s so far because of this.

Is my AMP/DAC combo to blame? If so I highly doubt power is the issue. The Magni 3 is quite powerful as far as I know.

Some insight would be very appreciative!
The X2s are designed to be driven off mobile devices, so it makes sense that it would be louder.
That said, AKG 712s aren't THAT hard to drive. I was able to drive mine with an old Vali 1 at about 50% volume, and the power output on the Vali is much lower than the Magni 3.
Distortion will almost always result at the upper end of magnification, especially with higher gain. But your k712 shouldn't require that much power. Something might be wrong.

Nov 29, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #19 of 35
The X2s are designed to be driven off mobile devices, so it makes sense that it would be louder.
That said, AKG 712s aren't THAT hard to drive. I was able to drive mine with an old Vali 1 at about 50% volume, and the power output on the Vali is much lower than the Magni 3.
Distortion will almost always result at the upper end of magnification, especially with higher gain. But your k712 shouldn't require that much power. Something might be wrong.

How loud did your K712s get at 50%? Loud or just very loud?

Nov 30, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #23 of 35
The source is my PS3 which the Schiit Stack is connected to via optical. Could it be that the PS3 is holding the audio back?

Not unless it's screwing with digital volume/gain, or if you're comparing the audio to a PC with a DSP built into the motherboard that can simulate surround sound on 2ch headphones.

Is your Schiit amp on high gain?

Nov 30, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #25 of 35
Yes, it is. Could it be that I'm missing surround sound? I'm pretty sure the Magni/Modi doesn't do surround

For imaging in games surround might help. If it's about how loud it goes, surround will make that worse since it will add reverb to fake your brain into thinking it's in-room reverb and push everything farther out.

I have no clue as to why the K712 can't get that loud on your amp when the K702 gets to ear splitting levels on the Asgard, and that has slightly less power than the Magni.

Nov 30, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #26 of 35
The source is my PS3 which the Schiit Stack is connected to via optical. Could it be that the PS3 is holding the audio back?
Yeah, optical output shouldn't affect volume. It hasn't been converted to an analog signal yet. And the Magni should have enough power, and the K712 should be efficient enough, that this problem shouldn't exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back