Best Amp/Dac for sennheiser hd25-1 ii under $100
Aug 9, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #16 of 26
Just checked the prices and its $140 shipped, i guess i will stick with fiio e10.
Don,t want to spend more than the price of the headphones on the amplifier.
This is my upgrade from a klipsch image s4, used without any amp. So i guess i can be happy with what i here from HD25+e10
Once again thanks for all the replies. 
Quote:
I was planning to get guild wars 2 and fiio e10 by end of this month.
I guess i will just buy a fiio e17 and forget about the game(will save more time to studies too).
Also was waiting for a reason not to start another mmorpg. Guess this is it
Any idea for how much does a used e17 go for?

Aug 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutnat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could try it, but I'm afraid it might not work well in combination with the HD-25 for your type of music.  I'm not in the office where my D-zero is today but if I think of it over the next couple of days I'll try combining the two and playing some of the rap and hip-hop in my collection.

I was right.  They don't work that well together.  The mids sound overly warm and congested, the bass is a bit anemic and at the same time a bit distorted.  It's very odd, but they just don't work well together especially for rap and hip hop it seems.  I've been going back and forth from the D-Zero to my JDS Labs C421 with OPA2227 and there's no comparing.  Everything sounds more noticeably cramped and congested out of the D-Zero, and not very natural.

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

I was right.  They don't work that well together.  The mids sound overly warm and congested, the bass is a bit anemic and at the same time a bit distorted.  It's very odd, but they just don't work well together especially for rap and hip hop it seems.  I've been going back and forth from the D-Zero to my JDS Labs C421 with OPA2227 and there's no comparing.  Everything sounds more noticeably cramped and congested out of the D-Zero, and not very natural.

BTW this isn't necessarily a slag against the D-Zero, it's just that it doesn't pair well with the HD25.  On the other hand, when I play the same tracks with the same amps but using my M-Audio Q40 headphones, they actually sound better on the D-Zero than the C421.  And if you're looking for a bass-heavy rap and hip hop headphone, the Q40 should probably be on the short list.  They're actually quite good for that.  And very comfy. 

Aug 9, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

I heard bass boosts on d-zero and e7 are quite close in a comparision review, but he was not using hd25s. Thanks for clarifying this, if i saw a used d-zero for sale for a cheap price i would have easily bought it because of its portability.
Now i should definitely stick with fiio e10.

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:
I heard bass boosts on d-zero and e7 are quite close in a comparision review, but he was not using hd25s. Thanks for clarifying this, if i saw a used d-zero for sale for a cheap price i would have easily bought it because of its portability.
Now i should definitely stick with fiio e10.

Just one more clarification:  the d-zero does NOT have a bass boost. 

Aug 11, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #21 of 26
Got the hd25s and tried them with rap/hip hop and have to say didn't enjoy them much as i do with klipsch images s4. probably because it didn't get louder like the s4.
Tried the other genres that aren't bass heavy and i listen at a low/average volume and sound is much better.
Going to order the fiio e10 Thursday which should solve the problem.
Also i listened to the songs from a laptop on board sound card which i know was much worse quality than my desktops sound card.

EDIT: Tried this out with my $10 creative speakers headphone jack and it made the bass much better and the sound much louder, ( it must have some really good amplifier or something.) Now they sounds a lot better than before, I can,t wait to see how much better it will get with fiio e10.

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:
was kind of curious about this too, had my eye on hd25's for a bit and would be in the same boat for a budget amp

Quote:
Did you ever get the e10? How did it compare to everything else you have tried? I am contemplating on purchasing one but want some more opinions first.

i owned the fiio e10 and hd-25 for a while, eventually sold the hd-25 after becoming rather fatigued from the treble presentation, dont take my opinion to seriously tho my ears are very sensitive, more of a midrange guy.
but nonetheless they were a very good can and did well with the fiio e10.  The fiio e10 will do everything you want it to do at that price point you really cant complain a small and sexy form factor with a nice aluminum brushed casing makes it a winner for me.
heck they drive my 300ohm hd650 without breaking a sweat and i have the volume knob on 4-6 and ts not even on high gain. I cant recommend the product enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back