Best Amp/Dac for sennheiser hd25-1 ii under $100
Aug 5, 2012 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Kani

New Head-Fier
I bought a sennheiser hd25-1 ii from a head-fi member and will be getting it in few days
Will these headphones benefit from an Amp?
I was currently considering getting a fiio e10
What would be a good Amp/DAC or a DAC(if no good from Amp) under $100?
I don,t mind getting a used one either.
Also i listen to hip hop/rap mainly if it helps.

Aug 6, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 26
I hope you won't be disappointed by these headphones for hip hop and rap.  It does an OKAY job at them in my experience, but it's really best at rock, metal, hard rock, pop.  It may not have the bass depth or sustain (too fast paced) for a lot of hip hop and rap.  You will definitely want to get an amp, probably something with a bass boost like a Fiio E10 or so.

Aug 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:
I hope you won't be disappointed by these headphones for hip hop and rap.  It does an OKAY job at them in my experience, but it's really best at rock, metal, hard rock, pop.  It may not have the bass depth or sustain (too fast paced) for a lot of hip hop and rap.  You will definitely want to get an amp, probably something with a bass boost like a Fiio E10 or so.

Thanks i will buy the fiio e10 since i love to have some good bass.
I was considering the ultrasone hfi-580 first, All i could find for sale added about was more than $170 with shipping. So i found a much cheaper deal on head fi for senns for my budget and bought it. 

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #5 of 26
Will you use it at home or on the go? Definitely E10 for mostly at home, because you can't use the E11 while charging. I personally think the E10 may be better, firstly because of the included DAC. Secondly, the HD25 won't benefit hugely from an amp, so it really is not necessary if you're outside with ambient noise detracting from listening anyways.

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:
Secondly, the HD25 won't benefit hugely from an amp, so it really is not necessary if you're outside with ambient noise detracting from listening anyways.

Anyone who says the HD25 doesn't benefit from a decent amp has never tried it with one.  Yes, it's "good" straight out of the iPod, but it's way better with a good amp and LOD.  The Fiio may not be the best but at the price range given it's a good option to try. 

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Anyone who says the HD25 doesn't benefit from a decent amp has never tried it with one.  Yes, it's "good" straight out of the iPod, but it's way better with a good amp and LOD.  The Fiio may not be the best but at the price range given it's a good option to try. 

I have run mines out of a nice receiver with the signal coming from well-recorded CD's. It does sound better, but IMO not worth carrying around an extra device for. Especially since a portable amp in this price range most likely will not be as good.

Please don't case assumptions too quickly.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #8 of 26
Just bought a friend the E6 as she's complaining that her new HD25s are harder to drive than her Westone 1s right out of her iPhone. I got to test drive it with my own HD25s with the Fiio LOD and I think they work great.

Of course, they don't really compare to my TWag V2 and Fostex or other higher end stuffs, but I can safely say, don't downplay cause it's a "cheaper" solution. I have to admit for the price it's really worth it and the portability definitely beats carrying my HP-P1. I'm pretty sure the models you guys mentioned should perform even better.

Aug 7, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #9 of 26
Thanks for all the replies guys
I am planning to use it with my laptop at home. So really need the DAC since built in sound card is very bad already and don,t need to be portable.
I don't mind buying a used one, so what about ibasso D-Zero compared to fiio e10? or any other model at the $100 price range?

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #10 of 26
The D-Zero is actually a decent little DAC+AMP.  One possible drawback for you is that it lacks any kind of bass boost, and it's presentation isn't overly warm or bassy.  You could try it, but I'm afraid it might not work well in combination with the HD-25 for your type of music.  I'm not in the office where my D-zero is today but if I think of it over the next couple of days I'll try combining the two and playing some of the rap and hip-hop in my collection.

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:
The D-Zero is actually a decent little DAC+AMP.  One possible drawback for you is that it lacks any kind of bass boost, and it's presentation isn't overly warm or bassy.  You could try it, but I'm afraid it might not work well in combination with the HD-25 for your type of music.  I'm not in the office where my D-zero is today but if I think of it over the next couple of days I'll try combining the two and playing some of the rap and hip-hop in my collection.

I guess i will really need the bass boost and fiio e10 is also about $30 less. So i will try get a fiio e10 from head fi.
Thanks a lot mutnat and everyone who helped.

Aug 9, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #12 of 26
I bought a PA2V2 for the HD-25s for my iphone and seriously it is so worth the trouble carrying it about! At first i was like it doesnt make a difference but it is when you listen to it for a few days then plug it back into the iphone 4 (or ipod) is when you notice the difference. The bass is alot more full, vocals are alot more cleaner and forward. IMHO either get the PA2V2,Fiio E7, E17,or E10. You wont regret it. 

Aug 9, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:
I bought a PA2V2 for the HD-25s for my iphone and seriously it is so worth the trouble carrying it about! At first i was like it doesnt make a difference but it is when you listen to it for a few days then plug it back into the iphone 4 (or ipod) is when you notice the difference. The bass is alot more full, vocals are alot more cleaner and forward. IMHO either get the PA2V2,Fiio E7, E17,or E10. You wont regret it. 

was just about to recommend a few fiio products, small form factors , you really cant go wrong.
e10 - great dac for the price overall an easy recommendation
e7 - a use at home dac and portable amplifier on the go
e17 - akin to the e7 (altho a $30+ investment, considering your budget is $100) but get you some nifty features such as bass boost and treble control etc. and overall an enhanced performance.

Aug 9, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #14 of 26
I was planning to get guild wars 2 and fiio e10 by end of this month.
I guess i will just buy a fiio e17 and forget about the game(will save more time to studies too).
Also was waiting for a reason not to start another mmorpg. Guess this is it
Any idea for how much does a used e17 go for?

Aug 9, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:
I was planning to get guild wars 2 and fiio e10 by end of this month.
I guess i will just buy a fiio e17 and forget about the game(will save more time to studies too).
Also was waiting for a reason not to start another mmorpg. Guess this is it
Any idea for how much does a used e17 go for?

ive seen a new e17 go far about 125 bucks, not sure about used.
and if under a budget you can get the e7 for around $60 used on amazon and with the money left over you can probably get the game too 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back