Best Amp + Dac for HD800 S
Nov 19, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #346 of 664
Well

Nov 24, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #347 of 664

If you are looking for the answer on the WA7 + WA7tp, I already have those too. I prefer the HDV 820. The sound stage feels too oval shaped where it goes out sideways more on the Woo Amps. I think the point of the headphones, to me, is to have a very large and accurate soundstage. The Woo WA7/WA7tp reduce the soundstage accuracy IMO, but they do sound nice otherwise.

Nov 25, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #348 of 664
Hi,
I have ADI-2 DAC and HD800 S, and I am looking for a solid-state amp under 1000 USD to reveal the capabilities of HD800 S, especially in the bass range, without sacrifice sound-stage. I am considering RNHP, Vioelectric V200 and THX series. I am highly interested to hear your suggestions about these or different amps in this regard.

Nov 25, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #349 of 664
Hi,
I have ADI-2 DAC and HD800 S, and I am looking for a solid-state amp under 1000 USD to reveal the capabilities of HD800 S, especially in the bass range, without sacrifice sound-stage. I am considering RNHP, Vioelectric V200 and THX series. I am highly interested to hear your suggestions about these or different amps in this regard.

Marantz HD-AMP1

Nov 25, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #351 of 664
I have the Marantz HD-DAC1; I’ve always wondered what the main difference is using that as a headphone amp or the HD-AMP1.
I also used to pair my HD800S with HD-DAC1 before moving on to HDV820.
The main difference between DAC1 and AMP1 is the latter literally is more of amplifier than DAC. It can even amplify passive bookshelf speakers while DAC1 cannot.

Nov 26, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #352 of 664
I also used to pair my HD800S with HD-DAC1 before moving on to HDV820.
The main difference between DAC1 and AMP1 is the latter literally is more of amplifier than DAC. It can even amplify passive bookshelf speakers while DAC1 cannot.
I would love to have the HDV820 but the cost is so prohibitive. I also own the Oppo HA-2 and in many ways I find its quality of sound better than the Marantz DAC1.

Nov 26, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #353 of 664
I would love to have the HDV820 but the cost is so prohibitive. I also own the Oppo HA-2 and in many ways I find its quality of sound better than the Marantz DAC1.
Save for the HDV820. It rocks with the HD800S headphones and got even better when I paired it with a Chord 2Qute dac. Also had a Pair of Cardas Clear headphone cables. I’ll be getting the same combo again one day in the future.

Nov 26, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #354 of 664
Well everyone has an opinion

Nov 26, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #355 of 664
I'm way late to this thread, but here are a few options to consider pairing with the Sennheiser HD800S, all of which I own:

- Benchmark DAC3-DX -- This is the non-preamp version of the DAC3-HGC. The DAC and amp are stellar performers with the HD800S headphones. Great resolution, truth of timbre, punch and drive. This is my favorite pairing with the Sennheisers. New, the DAC3 is a bit out of the price range you specified, however, if you keep your eyes open you should be able to find one used.
- Bottlehead Mainline + Schiit Bitfrost Multibit -- The Mainline is an outstanding amp, with the ability to drive just about any headphone. It's a touch warmer and more spacious sounding than the Benchmark, but lacks nothing in detail, pace and naturalness with the 800S. Additionally, it's a joy to build and offers real pride of ownership. Parts quality is top notch, and you can personalize the appearance to suit your tastes. Bottlehead runs sales on them from time to time (I got mine for under $1K). Together with the Bitfrost Multibit (plenty of these on the market used), you can't go wrong.
- Bottlehead Crack (with or without Speedball upgrade) -- This amp is killer for the price (actually, at twice the price), is a snap to build and is a great match for the 800S. Pair this with a Bitfrost Multibit and you're well below the price point you indicated.

My $0.02,

Joe.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #356 of 664
Anybody tested the hd800/800s with the V281 and chord qutest? Ardilla in his extensive -best amp for hd 800 ranked the V281 second after the EAR HP4. Mostly using the vioelectric v800 dac. Oc the V281 is fully ballanced, the chord dac se. Prob. not optimal? By the way; are the EAR HP4 still in production and possible to buy new?

Nov 26, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #357 of 664
I'm way late to this thread, but here are a few options to consider pairing with the Sennheiser HD800S, all of which I own:

- Benchmark DAC3-DX -- This is the non-preamp version of the DAC3-HGC. The DAC and amp are stellar performers with the HD800S headphones. Great resolution, truth of timbre, punch and drive. This is my favorite pairing with the Sennheisers. New, the DAC3 is a bit out of the price range you specified, however, if you keep your eyes open you should be able to find one used.
- Bottlehead Mainline + Schiit Bitfrost Multibit -- The Mainline is an outstanding amp, with the ability to drive just about any headphone. It's a touch warmer and more spacious sounding than the Benchmark, but lacks nothing in detail, pace and naturalness with the 800S. Additionally, it's a joy to build and offers real pride of ownership. Parts quality is top notch, and you can personalize the appearance to suit your tastes. Bottlehead runs sales on them from time to time (I got mine for under $1K). Together with the Bitfrost Multibit (plenty of these on the market used), you can't go wrong.
- Bottlehead Crack (with or without Speedball upgrade) -- This amp is killer for the price (actually, at twice the price), is a snap to build and is a great match for the 800S. Pair this with a Bitfrost Multibit and you're well below the price point you indicated.

My $0.02,

Joe.
I have the benchmark dac1 and dac2 and I totally agree. The 800 and S sound great with them, but they're even better with my newly acquired icon audio hp8 MKII. Truely amazing.

Nov 26, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #358 of 664
Anybody tested the hd800/800s with the V281 and chord qutest? Ardilla in his extensive -best amp for hd 800 ranked the V281 second after the EAR HP4. Mostly using the vioelectric v800 dac. Oc the V281 is fully ballanced, the chord dac se. Prob. not optimal? By the way; are the EAR HP4 still in production and possible to buy new?

2qute was amazing on the v281, v280 and hdv820 with the HD800s/Cardas Clear balanced cable when I had them. V280 was just a little warmer. Very close. Would assume qutest would be that much better.

Nov 26, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #360 of 664
At the time, I wanted a Chord TT but couldn’t afford it. Everyone will argue with me but the 2qute was much better the built in DAC in the hdv820 and great with the Violectrics. Think I still took advantage of the balanced architecture with my balanced Cardas Clear headphone cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back