Best Amp & DAC for Denon AH-D5000
May 2, 2011 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bgupton

New Head-Fier
I've seen a few threads on amps for Denon AH-D5000's, but wanted to get recommendations for my specific needs.  I'm a recovering audiophile who had to downgrade from a $30K+ system during a move to a tiny furnished room in San Francisco.  I'm doing most of my music listening while at the office now.  I'm planning to burn all of my music to a hard drive in Lossless and keep that drive at work.  I just purchased a pair of the Denon AH-D5000's for a bargain.  I could spend another $200-500 on an amp and DAC.  I will be using my MacBook Pro too if that matters.

I wouldn't consider myself a basshead, so I need an amp and DAC that will help tighten up the bass on the Denon's.  I also need something that can either be locked away in a desk easily or perhaps I will buy a shelf system that can be locked (any recommendations there would be nice).

I listen mostly to rock (Pink Floyd, The Cure, The Arcade Fire, Radiohead, Okkervil River The Grateful Dead, Tom Petty, etc) and jazz (Mingus, Charlie Parker, hard bop, etc).

Suggestions?

May 3, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #4 of 10
I own the denon ah-d2000, which uses the same drivers are the d5000.  Currently mine are plugged into a Fiio E7 as a DAC and a Fiio E9 as an amp.  The combo is less than $250.  Originally I used only the E7 because it has a small amp, but I've upgraded to an E9 and the difference is definitely worth the price.

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
Bump. Hoping to get some feedback tonight since my headphones are on the way.

Which amp/dac combo did you get . . .  and how's the performance?  I'm close to ordering the D5000 and was wondering the same.  

I'll be using it exclusively with my computer (2011 iMac) and looking for a usb amp/dac to power the D5000.

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #6 of 10
I also got a fire-sale pair of D5000s, and have been using them with a Headroom Total Bithead (on sale these days). The D5000s are (according to the folks I've spoken to) really easy to drive, so  the Bithead seems to do well.

(The D5000s are actually OK out of an iPad).

The same cannot be said for Sennheiser HD650s - they don't work too well from an iPad.

That said, I am also looking for a step up in the amp/dac combo - preferably something that gets its power from the wall, rather than USB.

Dec 12, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
I also got a fire-sale pair of D5000s, and have been using them with a Headroom Total Bithead (on sale these days). The D5000s are (according to the folks I've spoken to) really easy to drive, so  the Bithead seems to do well.

(The D5000s are actually OK out of an iPad).

The same cannot be said for Sennheiser HD650s - they don't work too well from an iPad.

That said, I am also looking for a step up in the amp/dac combo - preferably something that gets its power from the wall, rather than USB.

I'm on the same hunt as you.  Currently, I have the FiiO E10 (which I'm very happy with) powering my ATH-M50's.  When I get my D5000's, I was also looking to step up the amp/dac.  Let me know if you find something good . . . 

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #8 of 10
The E7/E9 is a winner driving Denons (D2k, D5k) a good option when on budget. 

Dec 13, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #9 of 10
Heya,

I let my D5000's run from a Matrix CUBE. Zero noise, no hiss, pure silence, music is detailed, crisp, tight bass, wonderful. Sleek and small with all major input types. Plus it can output to something else and still be used to monitor (so you could output to yet another amp and power something bigger with a bigger amp while still keeping a nice DAC in use, simultaneously).

Very best,

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Heya,

I let my D5000's run from a Matrix CUBE. Zero noise, no hiss, pure silence, music is detailed, crisp, tight bass, wonderful. Sleek and small with all major input types. Plus it can output to something else and still be used to monitor (so you could output to yet another amp and power something bigger with a bigger amp while still keeping a nice DAC in use, simultaneously).

Very best,

MalVeauX, thanks for the suggestion.

The CUBE looks like a nice product that won't break the bank.  Where's the best place to order em? (I live in California, USA).  I usually look to amazon.com first, but couldn't find them there.

Questions:  

1.  ASRC switch:  If using this amp/dac connected to my computer (iMac) via USB and listening to music from iTunes @ 44.1 kHz, would the ASRC switch be on or off?

2.  Amplifier switch:  If this is set to "internal", the CUBE acts as a dac/amp?  If set to "External" the CUBE acts as a dac only?

3.  I love my hip-hop & rap = lots of bass.  I currently use the FiiO E10 with the "bass boost" set to on.  Have you had a chance to compare the CUBE with the FiiO E10 with bass boost?  I   know the D5000 is a "bassy" headphone as it is and curious to see the "bass" difference between the two amp/dacs.

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back