Best amp and DAC for under $800?
Mar 5, 2021 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Fly2High

Head-Fier
All,
I need some help. I am thinking of purchasing a headphone amp and DAC but I would like to keep my budget under $800 for the pair

What would you suggest?

Currently own Sundaras.

Was thinking about
amps
SH-9,
Topping DX7 Pro,
Asguard 3,
Monoprice THX AAA 887
JDS EL II

DAC
SU-9
Topping DX 7 Pro

Open to suggestions. These were just ones I have looked into but not sure on.

Using computer as digital source.
My plan is to use the RCA from DAC to go directly to a pair of active speakers - Edifier 1850DB.
Must therefore have XLR to go to headphone amp.
Unless there is an amp that has volume control on the pass through. I am fine with either option.

bass punch, clear details and open stage are desired but I will also have to get what I can in my budget and headphone limitations.

Mar 5, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #2 of 9
Asgard 3 Multibit - I have one and love it. Punchy, dynamic, warm but not overly colored, drives just about anything (especially my LCD-2's)

Mar 6, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 9
Get whatever you can used if it's possible. Try a few different ones. You may realize that your favorite combo / setup / synergy may not be close to $800. Or, the $ you lose due to shipping, reselling, fees, whatever, could just be rolled into the $800.

If it were me with Sundaras though - Schiit Jot2 + whatever DAC you think sounds good with it or meets your needs with your speaker setup. Also, Sundaras generally aren't going to give that much bass punch w/o something that distorts or messes up the sound otherwise in my experience - so I wouldn't try to find an amp or DAC that blows up the Sundara bass.

Mar 6, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #4 of 9
Under $800, it's hard to beat the Schiit Modius/Topping A90 combo but I'd recommend the A90 with an asterisk. Performance-wise the combo is fantastic if you're looking for pure, clean, powerful transparency. The A90 user interface is excellent, with mechanical switches on the front, and the port selection is great with fully balanced XLR and 4.4mm pentaconn options.

That said, the A90 seems to be very susceptible to damage from static electricity (see the official A90 thead for more info). Topping being in China, getting warranty service can be troublesome and pricey. The way their warranty works is that you have to go through the seller first and if the seller can't help you, then Topping steps in. So if the seller is based in China (such as Aoshida Audio or Shenzhen Audio) or if the seller can't help you, you might end up having to ship your defective A90 to China. From recent personal experience, the cost of shipping is close to $100. Not to mention the wait time for a replacement unit.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 9
Alternatively, you could also get a Schiit Modius and the Singxer SA-1 class A amp for $600, if you rather get a class A type of sound. It's new and getting good feedback. However, note that you might run into the same support issues as with the Topping A90 because it also comes from China. That said, the Singxer might not break as easy.

Mar 14, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #7 of 9
I'd probably go with something like an SMSL SU-9 + Jotunheim 2, though that's a bit over budget.

An interesting matched combo to soon be released is the Topping D30 PRO and A30 PRO. Early reviews are promising, but time will tell...
It's not a good idea to give advice about products you don't have experience with.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #8 of 9
It's not a good idea to give advice about products you don't have experience with.
He simply mentioned that is coming out soon and reviews seen promising. I think that is completely fair.

Not everyone can have actual experience with a product before making a purchase. Most of us need to go by research and there's nothing wrong wish sharing the findings of our research as long we're not claiming to have experience when we haven't. People can take someone's notes and then do their own research on top of it, especially on such a subjective field like this one.

Mar 14, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #9 of 9
Jotunheim with a DAC card if all you need is USB in. $5-600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back