Best all-arounders under/around $550
Aug 1, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #16 of 34
I haven't heard them, but most ultrasone's have recessed mids. Classical will sound just fine, but not great.

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #18 of 34
heheh lots of bass heavy recomendations

Aww Closed, yea try to find a D2k. Woodies sound amazing. And if you like TIGHT bass I do enjoy my w1000x, they are however... bright and lean more so than warm but the sound stage is VERY big and detailed 

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:
hmmm
how big are the w1000x's?

Is there any easy way to transport them safely?

Hell no, and they are pretty damn big. You don't want to be running around with the w1000x, the wood Finish is gorgeous! 

If I HAD to transport them [and they have a 1/4" adapter btw] I'd be in an equally stunning Wooden Suitcase, fitted with a nice secure wooden headphone stand for the cans... actually I totally wanna make something like that for my w1000x :O

But yea not portable imo, I'm already pissed I got a minor scuff on them today...have to buff that out later q.q] 

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #22 of 34
+1 on the ATH-w1000x. Very good subbass and closed, and the finish is gorgeous. pretty comfortable too, but definitely not portable. Doesn't require an amp, but I've used it with my CEntrance DACPort and have gotten good results (ironic that i happened to sell mine today to fund other stuff)

It's new on buydig for $469. Which sucks, cuz it was only $390 a few weeks ago, which is a steal

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:
+1 on the ATH-w1000x. Very good subbass and closed, and the finish is gorgeous. pretty comfortable too, but definitely not portable. Doesn't require an amp, but I've used it with my CEntrance DACPort and have gotten good results (ironic that i happened to sell mine today to fund other stuff)

It's new on buydig for $469. Which sucks, cuz it was only $390 a few weeks ago, which is a steal

Indeed, and I've never tried them un amped. and WOW 390 NEW is a steal. I paid 350 used >.>, still though I liked mine much more after I Modded them... and they do get better with amp and source although the iPod is a pretty clean source... still I'd run it through a Line out to an Amp. I like a little bass boost when I do edm on the w1000x 

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #24 of 34
I think I'll get the W1000X, but I'll wait for the price to come down from its current $480...
Or I'll just lose patience and get them next week 
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #26 of 34
I don't think I have those "golden ears" just yet, but I've slowly been working my way up
I think they should hold me for at least a year before I start looking around for anything else...

On a sidenote any opinions about the Ultrasone Edition 8's?
(Just trying to consider all options before jumping the gun)

They are more portable, but are pricier....

Aug 5, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #29 of 34
I don't think I have those "golden ears" just yet, but I've slowly been working my way up
I think they should hold me for at least a year before I start looking around for anything else...

On a sidenote any opinions about the Ultrasone Edition 8's?
(Just trying to consider all options before jumping the gun)

They are more portable, but are pricier....

I got Edition 8's last week. Comfy, very sleek, probably the best portable there is and sharp looking. You can get them for $700 ish as well. Sound is good, a little light on the bass for my preference but if you add it via amp/EQ it is there. I may prefer the Ultrasone Pro900's because their bass is to me the best I've heard.

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #30 of 34
Quote:
I've heard that the WX000 series is notoriously picky with amps, although that opinion was by very experienced audiophiles and if you don't have "golden ears" you may not hear the difference.

really... I guess that's good to know. My Solid Stage and my Tube sound completely different. My Matrix has much better highs and bass, but [due to some recent mods] lacks a little bit of the woody mids that make this can as great and unique as it is! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back