Best all around Headphone for $300-$500
Dec 19, 2011 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

Arion

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

Recently I have been looking around your Forums in order to get an Idea for the ideal headphones for my specific "Taste" In Music.
The type of Music I listen to his hip hop, dub step, electronica, Rap, With a little bit of rock and Alternative.
I am looking for a headphone thats great all around so great mids, highs, lows and trebble, But I dont want it to be lacking in the bass department and I don't want anything to overpower or distort the sounds of the mids, highs, Trebble, and lows.
I was looking at the A900x by Audio Technica paired with the Schiit asgard and bifrost but every time I read a new thread about a headphone I always say "Oh that sounds a lot better for me than the A900x".
So I Finally decided to make a thread about this so I can come to conclusion based on the opinions of the "Pros" (The Headfi community.) of whats best for me.
I do plan on getting an amp for the headphone and a DAC if its really needed.
I Do Like Over ear a lot more than On ear headphones.
Please help me out and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Arion

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 78
Sorry but I forgot to mention that I want it to have decent isolation and good sound stage as well. Also I don't want overly unnatural sounds the bass of the beats come to mind when I say that but I don't want dull sounding music either.
Hopefully you understand what I mean.

Thanks,
Arion

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 78

Quote:
headphone thats great all around so great mids, highs, lows and trebble

Pro2900, a must have in this price range.

Quote:
Sorry but I forgot to mention that I want it to have decent isolation

Not Pro2900

biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 78

Quote:
These sound great for me and my taste in music but what would be a good amp for the pro 2900 and would A DAC be necessary for them?

No amp or dac required, its a very efficient headphone.

Of course, its better with an headphone amp and dac, but not necessary.

If you want some inexpensive amp, there is Fiio E9.

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 78

Quote:
ultrasone pro 900 
ultrasone HFI 580/780

most headphones have what you want. but having a good soundstage along with good isolation, great all around, and really good bass only leaves one company

ULTRASONE 

I absolutley love them :)

I don't know about the Hifi 580/780. But from what I have read about the Pro 2900 is that they are better than the 900 pros for all around sound quality except they are not as good for dubstep since the 2900 lack the aggressiveness but don't sound so metallic and dot have rescessed mids. Are you saying you would recommend the Pro 900 for me rather than the 2900's?

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 78
Pro2900 is a much better all rounder headphone.

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 78

Quote:

I don't know about the Hifi 580/780. But from what I have read about the Pro 2900 is that they are better than the 900 pros for all around sound quality except they are not as good for dubstep since the 2900 lack the aggressiveness but don't sound so metallic and dot have rescessed mids. Are you saying you would recommend the Pro 900 for me rather than the 2900's?

no. the pro 2900's are $500 and teh HFI 580's are $118. there's a big price differnce. i was talking about price to performance ratio.
however for any headhone you get, be sure to understand that you need an amp at this point. 
I recommend 
PA2V2
E7, E11
iBasso 
ZO2

the PA2V2 should be the best and cheapest, price to performance wise

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #12 of 78
Try a few headphones and get a taste of audio bliss. Best allround for me is the K181 but for home use I have at least three different headphones...

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #13 of 78

Quote:

Thought so, this is the headphones I am probably gonna get but i just have some questions. For an Amp you said a Fiio E9 but what about te Fiio E9 + E7 or the ZO2 what would be better?

I don't know these amp, they are probably good. I can give you many other amp, but they are expensive and not necessarily very useful with Pro2900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back