Best all around headphone <400?
Apr 20, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had that amp, and though I didn't try out every possible tube combination, I tried a few and wouldn't recommend it with the 650s (too dark and bottom heavy), but would recommend it with the HD600 or HD580s. I haven't heard it with the other headphones you mentioned, but I think you can still get the NOS 580s for around $200 on ebay, which means more money for more headphones or music for you.
redface.gif

I have to agree...im in the process of trying to get my 650s under control with the DV336i. I have swapped tubes out to the least amount of bass i could find. Also purchased a DAC to go along with it. Im hoping it will just tighten up the bass a tad.

If not i might have to look into a Solid state amp.

Apr 21, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #17 of 37
I'm a believer in matching components to get the best sound.

good amp + good cans IS NOT ALWAYS = good sound.

sometimes equipment are great in their own right but NOT necessarily in your rig.

@highlife - apologies in advance, but making the amp sound good with your cans can get expensive quickly. UNLESS, you really like the HP signature or parts matching is really what you want to do.

Apr 21, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #18 of 37
Ya, i know, trying to make the best of what i got for now.

Im a broke Grad student trying to get his 11 credits to finish his masters. Parents sorta gave up cause i was undecided, so all the costs are on me.

I will probably have to the face the fact that i might have to go SS to get my 650s under control.

Apr 21, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #19 of 37
I am using a Zero DAC/Amp from an optical out with DT880's. I am so blown away by the SQ that I haven't even checked Head-Fi recently. :)

I listen to jazz, electronic, post-rock and trip hop mostly and the range and clarity of the system has kept me up hours beyond what I had planned on several occasions. I'll put the cans on late at night and I just can't take them off. The stock Zero DAC/Amp provides plenty of power and the smallest details in the music reveal themselves in an addicting manner.

I haven't listened to the other cans you mention so I'm not going to be able to A-B but with your setup, the DT's are a choice you won't regret.

Apr 21, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snicewicz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the zero DAC to my computer via optical and I am getting a darkvoice 336i in the next week or two. From what I hear this combo should be capable of handling what I want to get.

As you have an 336i coming in you obviously decided to go the dynamic road. However, for resolution and low bass junkies in this price range there's nothing like a STAX SRS-2050 II (SR-202 & SRM-252II) which can be had for a bit more than USD 500. I do have a DV 332 and neither the K701 nor the DT880 2005/250 nor the HD600 is on par with the SR-202 driven by a SRM-212 or a SRM-1 MKII.

Apr 21, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #21 of 37
You should be able to find the HD650s new for around $300.

I'll also second someone's suggestion that you try the HD600s. Especially if the amplifier that you have is already 'dark'.

All of the headphones that you listed have excellent re-sale value on Head-Fi if you keep all of the boxes/extras and keep the phones in good condition.

Apr 21, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Alright I am curious, what is the best all around headphone.

I have been around for a month looking for a new set of cans, decided on the RS-1 (a bit higher in price, I know), then the D5000, then I was going to go with the Ultrasone pro2500.

I have read so many conflicting statements and I have no where to go try out the headphones and no meets ever really come together in Ohio.

So far I am kind of thinking to get one of the three:

AKG K701
Sennheiser HD650
Beyerdynamic DT 880

I listen to everything form classical to hip hop, but mostly indie rock and folk and hip hop.

Thanks for those helping me with my constant indecisiveness. All of these are kind of a good deal of money to me as I am a student and I dont want to be unsatisfied.

I was in the same situation 2 months ago. that 3 are exactly the three I chose from.
finally, I picked HD600. The reason is:
1) AKG K701 and DT 880 are hard to drive well, or let's say it's very picky to headphone amp. You know the money you gonna pay for headphone is just a part of your project of upgrading. amp is another thing could potentially cost much more. have to consider amp/DAC/sound card/post market cables cost in from begining.
2) Hd600 vs. 650. if you don't have or plan to buy pretty darn good amp(over$600 tube amp), HD600, as I read, performance better with regular decent-but-not-so-good OP-amp.
3) in the end, I bought used HD600 with lower price, and save money for amp.

cool.gif

Apr 21, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #23 of 37
Where exactly will I be able to get new 650s for 300?

Also I haven't ordered the DV yet just was planning on doing so in a bout a week.
I heard the LDMKV and also MKIVse (tube) was also good with the 650.

And I heard alot of people like the 336i for their 701s. So based off what I get phone wise Ill get the corresponding amp.

Apr 21, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #24 of 37
Hmm, i havent seen any places selling new ones for 300...i see some used ones for that much.

Normally new they are around 400-450$ with shipping.

Apr 22, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #26 of 37
i would grab those as thats a pretty good deal for brand new ones.

However, as people have said make sure you have a decent system before hand as the 650s do require it.

If you dont have the money for the super system, then get the 600s and its commonly said to be better with a lighter system.

Apr 22, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Thank you for that. Have you used them before? Are they areputable and reliable retailer?

Yes J&R is a great place to do business with. Come to think of it, I bought my 650s there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back