Best all around for newbie
Jan 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #46 of 63
If you want punchier, more detailed bass you should check into the DT990. 250ohm should have more bass than the 600ohm I hear, but there's more detail on the 600ohm. The difference shouldn't be that big however, only that the latter model mightn't be ideal with Fiio since its output is max for 300ohm.

Edit: They're open, not sure how you would react to that. However, the soundstage is awesome.

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #47 of 63
If you want punchier, more detailed bass you should check into the DT990. 250ohm should have more bass than the 600ohm I hear, but there's more detail on the 600ohm. The difference shouldn't be that big however, only that the latter model mightn't be ideal with Fiio since its output is max for 300ohm.

Edit: They're open, not sure how you would react to that. However, the soundstage is awesome.

I'd be using them in the library a lot so I don't want sound leaking or ill piss people off

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #48 of 63
Right, forgot about that.

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #49 of 63
what about the momentum?

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #50 of 63
Quote:
what about the momentum?

I'll have to research them tonight.  Read some reviews and whatnot.  It'd be within the upper limits of my budget, but if they are that good then I may make an exception.

If you have personal experience I'd appreciate it

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #51 of 63
He said they get hot. All these pleather padded headphones aren't gonna be better.

More details, punchier bass? DT990. Just saying. The Pro goes for $190 right now on Amazon, and your E11 should power them decently. That $110 left over for your budget could go into an E9K or Magni... or a dac like the Modi...assuming you don't have a dac which is important.

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #52 of 63
true true.
I cant think of any headphones that don't get warm at all though.
(closed back wise)

and im sorry, i dont have any experience first hand with the momentums.
but they are pretty well taken around here.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #53 of 63
Ok so what I like from both.

COP: Bass adjustability, 

DT 770: comfort, less hot, good sound with E11. only gripe would maybe be a little more bass.  Nice highs, not as muddy and deep.  

So it's either bass head, or better overall noise.  I definitely hear things int he DT 770 that I don't hear in the COP.  Wish I had the money to keep both because they are fairly different and I like a little of each.  

Too bad there isn't a compromise

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #54 of 63
Listened to a few songs tonight.  DT770 wins vs. the COP hands down for everything but bass.  I listened to "Man in the Mirror" by Michael Jackson and "How Low" by Ludacris (just really low) and a few film scores.  The COP sounds bad in the highs and the DT770 just sounds better overall.  I can forgo my bass and buy some cheap skullcandy's if I feel like listening to super bass with nothing else.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #55 of 63
an e6 can help with the bass, though im worried if the e6 bass may boost a little too much and cause muddyness

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #57 of 63
Quote:
I already have the E11 hooked up, are you saying to daisy chain them together?

i do daisy chain my E6 to the Hippo box amp sometimes, but just to use the E6 as a volume control since my phone's volume intervals are so huge and the hippo box amp to amp the headphones. i have a graphic eq on my phone and com so the eq on the e6 is pointless to me. but for someone who doesn't use eq the e6 can really increase bass quite a lot. (e6 doesn't increase quality at all by the way, just changes eq)

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #58 of 63
Quote:
brainwavz hm5
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FBRAINWAVZ-HM5-Studio-Monitor-Headphones%2Fdp%2FB006MA9XXM&ei=SsDxULXCIK-F0QHpioGQDg&usg=AFQjCNHayvgyQh9cqkB9mt1dzXT-RcgQ-Q&bvm=bv.1357700187,d.dmQ

Jaycar Pro Monitors are the same headphones as the HM5, but half the price.

http://www.jaycar.us/productView.asp?ID=AA2065&keywords=monitor&form=KEYWORD

I wish I'd known about them before buying my (now broken) HM5. Don't try to stretch the headband by the way. 

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #59 of 63
I have the E6 and E11 so I guess I'll try it.  I use golden ears on my iPhone so that has EQ too.  Would that cut out the need for a E6

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #60 of 63
Ok, well I've had a few days with my headphones now and am very happy with the DT 770 Pro-80s.  With the E11 attached it's very nice and the bass is fine.  If I put it at EQ 1 or 2 then it's just as good as the COP in my opinion.   These are far more comfortable and less hot, likely due to the velour pads.  Also, I have been using the Accudio app for the phones sometimes and it's pretty good.  Some EQing really allows me to tweak these until what I like.

I'm very happy with my purchase and will likely be back for more when I have funds.  I'm already contemplating buying an open pair of headphones for my room and the 770s for the library.  I also bought a few pieces to play these on my new TV.  I'm looking forward to watching some movies with some sound instead of the TV stock speakers.

The only thing that have made me question my purchase is the DT 770 LEs (32) if they'd be better but, being new I can complain and probably wouldn't notice the difference. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back