Best Albums of the 00s. Head-Fi Edition
Jan 22, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #137 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
06/01/10:
Now post your favourites here and don't be shy. There is no hipster pressure here, and nobody will accuse you for being a hipster. Right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to hipster town,DrBenway. I'd also like to point out how severely limited the scope of the nominations are (can anyone say "Band without a guitar"?), theres a few, but it is the overwhelming majority.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the main appeal of certain bands for a lot of hipsters are that they are not popular or are no longer popular. A sort of "I liked it before it was cool" statement, where the obscurity becomes justification for the music. I'd probably say "hipsters don't like music". A pretty big example is hipsters who are into In the Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral milk Hotel (a 1998 album rereleased in 2005 or so). It was never cool, and even the people who listenned to it in 1998 (myself included) have moved on. They love this kind of thing, especially since most of them are 14 and the album has the lyric "semen stains the mountain tops".

IMO this sort of thing is just a phase for these people, and they are every bit as impressionable about their "tastes" as most people who get their favourite songs from hits on the radio, they just don't like to admit it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not if it's a good record! Hipsters value music solely (or nearly so) for its obscurity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice record, one of my favorites too, though you know we risk being labeled hipsters with questionable taste for liking a record such as this
smily_headphones1.gif

JS

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #138 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They can run their hands through their long, greasy hair, or stroke their soul patches, and say "Well, I wouldn't expect you to have heard of The Horizontal Grape. Very few people have." Followed by a disdainful roll of the eyes.

Is this really necessary?

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #140 of 144
Jean Michel Jarre - Metamorphoses
Acoustic Alchemy - The Beautiful Game

Jan 27, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #141 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by minimus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1st: Godspeed You Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists...
2nd: Sigur Ros - ()

Runners up:
Radiohead - Kid A
Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica
Emily Newsom - Ys
Broken Social Scene - Your Forgot It in People
Bob Dylan - Modern Times
The National - Boxer

yeath, that emily newsom is quite the harp player.

Aug 19, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #144 of 144
Winner-Demon Days by Gorillaz

Runnerup-Funeral by Arcade Fire

Users who are viewing this thread

Back