Best album of '08?
Dec 17, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #16 of 52
Panda Bear must never sleep.

Have you listened to the "Always a Bridesmaid" eps yet, tintin? I'm loving them. Very bouncy.

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #17 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say that it is either Fleet Foxes or the Dodos (Visiter) followed closely by No Age (Nouns) and Atlas Sound (Let the Blind lead those who can see but cannot feel). With Yeasayer and Deerhunter battling it out for the 5th spot.

We have similar tastes. Have you heard Plants and Animals, Blitzen Trapper, or A Weather? All put out great albums this year. My top for 2008 is Bon Iver, though.
L3000.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My vote goes to Suspyre - When Time Fades.

Still need to pick that one up. I've yet to hear "the one" for this year, mabye that'll be it.

Overall, like some have said, a rather weak year, based on everything I've heard so far. My current top album would have to be Meshuggah Obzen.

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #19 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Panda Bear must never sleep.

Have you listened to the "Always a Bridesmaid" eps yet, tintin? I'm loving them. Very bouncy.

Yeah. I am enjoying them too. The decemberists seem to go more "out there" with each successive album. Have you seen the track names and the concept for the new album, sherwood? It is being billed as some sort of a Rock opera. Who knows what that will sound like? Probably good, though.

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #20 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We have similar tastes. Have you heard Plants and Animals, Blitzen Trapper, or A Weather? All put out great albums this year. My top for 2008 is Bon Iver, though.
L3000.gif

Haven't heard any of those, actually. I'll have to check them out. I've been looking for some new stuff lately.

Bon Iver is great, but it feels to me like it was released so long ago that I just forget about the album when considering the year.

Dec 18, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #24 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by juniperlater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since Bon Iver and Radiohead have been dq'd, this is my top three of 2008:

1 Sigur Rós - Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust
2 Cat Power - Jukebox
3 Duffy - Rockferry

Did you think that Sigur Ros was on par with their other albums? I liked it but it was no Aegetis Byrjiun or (). My main problem was that the first 2-3 tracks promised a sort of evolved sound, much like the transition from () to Takk... but the rest of the album just sort of reiterated the other albums.

Dec 18, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #25 of 52
My favorite albums of 2008 are: (in no particular order)

Textures - Silhouettes

cover_silhouettes.jpg

In Flames - A Sense Of Purpose

200px-ASenseOfPurposeCover.jpg

Meshuggah - obZen

(I've left the coverart out for this one intentionally because it might not be suitable for this site)

Seems like a pretty loud year for me so far.

Dec 18, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #26 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you think that Sigur Ros was on par with their other albums? I liked it but it was no Aegetis Byrjiun or (). My main problem was that the first 2-3 tracks promised a sort of evolved sound, much like the transition from () to Takk... but the rest of the album just sort of reiterated the other albums.

Yeah, I did think so. It is, in my opinion, a vastly different style than we have heard before. So I guess I disagree a bit with you on this one. It is the positive emotionality that comes through in this one that is the difference.

Dec 18, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #30 of 52
Without question,

Krisiun - Southern Storm

No other album this year has come close to flooring me. I was only midly interested in Krisiun before this release, all their past albums sounded very average, middle-of-the-road death metal. But somehow everything clicks on Southern Storm, not a weak song to be found. The monstrously heavy riffs, warping and twisting guitar solos, relentless yet well-placed blastbeats, in-your-face production job....WOW.

This is aural devastation, the true essence of death metal in 2008. If you're even remotely into death metal, you'd be missing out if you didn't pick this up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back