Best album of '08?
Dec 16, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 52
My vote goes to Enigma - "Seven Lives Many Faces"

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 52
My favorite is probably lots of people's favorite: either "Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago", or "Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid"

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 52
It was kind of a dull new music year for me, my top 5 or 6 albums of the year looking kinda like this right now ...

best_of_2008.gif

... probably topping off with Shearwater's Rook, but been listening a lot lately to that Throw Me The Statue record with the girls playing by the lake on the cover that comes up last on the gif rotation ... probably not a top ten record in years past, one of those second string records that coulda been big in the 80s, but now feeds the indie cred of silly TV shows and commercials, and I didn't hear that much new stuff this year, and it does have some very catchy tunes, and it's still very new and fresh ... and that "About To Walk" song is pretty damn good ... oh, and did I mention the cute girls on the cover that seem to have lost their tops?

And I have been listening again to the Portishead album, and it is hard to deny how good it is in places, it really does completely overshadow some of the laptop toting DJ kids that came after the trip hop glory years of the mid 90s, this is just so much more professional, but it's still kind of hard to embrace in total for me now. Lots of respect, though.

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 52
2008 has been a disappointing year. The one i most looked forward to, Dear Science. was decent but was a let down compared to Cookie Mountain.

Really for me the best release actually consisted of old stuff in Dylan's Telltale Signs.

If I had to pick genuinely new music. I'd go for either The Fireman (aka Paul McCartney and Youth) Electric Arguments or Blitzen Trapper (even though it sounds like Wilco redux)

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My favorite is probably lots of people's favorite: either "Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago", or "Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid"

Bon Iver would be number 2.

In Rainbows is number 1 for 2008 for me.

Dec 17, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #9 of 52
My favorite is definitely April by Sun Kil Moon. If you guys are fans of Red House Painters, Songs:Ohia, Bonnie "Prince" Billy, and even Bon Iver you should definitely check this out. Mark Kozelek is one of my favorite songwriters, and this might be his best album.

After that its probably Smile by Boris and Life..The Best Game in Town by Harvey Milk.

Dec 17, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #10 of 52
I really enjoyed the music of 2008. A few of my absolute favorites have been..."Carried To Dust" (Calexico), "A Mad & Faithful Telling" (DeVotchKa), "Everything That Happens Will Happen Today" (David Byrne + Brian Eno), "The Seldom Seen Kid" (Elbow), "April" (Sun Kil Moon), "Dear Science" (TV On The Radio), and "Microcastle" (Deerhunter). I will have to live with all of them for awhile longer to decide which one would be my favorite of the year. I only hope that 2009 is as good!

Dec 17, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #12 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by httran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My favorite is definitely April by Sun Kil Moon. If you guys are fans of Red House Painters, Songs:Ohia, Bonnie "Prince" Billy, and even Bon Iver you should definitely check this out. Mark Kozelek is one of my favorite songwriters, and this might be his best album.

After that its probably Smile by Boris and Life..The Best Game in Town by Harvey Milk.

Definitely love April. Not as much as the first two or the Mark Kozelek Christmas box set, but it is very good.

Dec 17, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #13 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wasn't In Rainbows released last year?

Yeah, but not the vinyl.
wink.gif

EDIT: January 1 was the release date for the vinyl.

Dec 17, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #15 of 52
I would say that it is either Fleet Foxes or the Dodos (Visiter) followed closely by No Age (Nouns) and Atlas Sound (Let the Blind lead those who can see but cannot feel). With Yeasayer and Deerhunter battling it out for the 5th spot.

I feel awkward with some of these because I am an audiophile addicted to lo-fi. Music first, though. I swore to myself that if I start caring about quality of the recording over the music that I am selling my gear.

Next year is going to be interesting right off the bat as well, with Animal Collective, Andrew Bird, The decemberists, and possibly Panda Bear releasing albums before march.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back