Best album made before 1980
Apr 3, 2002 at 5:22 AM Post #16 of 72
Back before I was married, I met a foreign exchange student then from Minsk, Belaruse (I think she grew up in a rural area in Belaruse). She hadn't been expose to much of the west and most of that I would say was easily '80+ pop culture. I took her for a drive one day to show her around the state and played a variety of music (many already listed above). She was fluent in English, but her American was a little lacking, if you know what I mean
wink.gif

One song seemed to make the bridge for her that helped make everything else make sense. Now I'm not claiming this is the greatest song ever written, but I can see why it would be a good doorway to pre '80s music:

Kansas: Dust in the Wind
- modern and classical instraments
- strong, audible vocals even to the first time listener
- strikes a philisophical tone

It my not be everybodies favorite, but most people like it and I haven't meet anybody that just flat-out hates it (but I'm sure this forum could bring one out
rolleyes.gif
)

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2002 at 6:58 AM Post #17 of 72
The only other record I seriously considered recommending was Miles Davis' Kind of Blue. The methodology I used to approach the question was to consider what albums pre-80's have caused the most direct influence on music that came after, so that a listener familiar with music post 80's might be able to hear elements of the music they know already. Jazz is no longer an important force in music today; Miles Davis himself said that jazz is dead, the music of the museum, so I discounted suggesting his albums, though anyone beginning an education in jazz must begin with Kind of Blue. (insert chorus of howls here.)

Apr 3, 2002 at 7:12 AM Post #18 of 72
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo
Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life
a)It's social commentary.
b)Pretty much life, and what goes along with it, on a douple LP (or CD) set.
c)Pure musical genius.
d)One of the top two or three most sampled albums ever.

This truly is a phenomenal album, carlo! I have the original issue 2 CD set. Every time I listen to it I think two things: 1) how amazing the album is as a whole; and 2) how annoyed I am that 2/3 of the album has been sampled in songs over the past 5 years, and I keep thinking of those other songs
wink.gif

Apr 4, 2002 at 3:02 AM Post #20 of 72
Some faves

Clash - London Calling
Who - Tommy
Hendrix - Electric Ladyland (sorry, like better than AYE)
Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain
Beatles - White Album

Apr 4, 2002 at 5:07 AM Post #21 of 72
Dee formed,
is the name a ramones reference? the stooges are a solid choice, but i decided to avoid the punk/rock&roll period of that period because i think i pushed the question with my three picks above. kinks-kink kontreversy was another one. incidentally, our musical tastes seem to coincide quite a bit, i'm resisting the urge to get into a long musical discussion with you.

dusty,
"animals" is second only to "meddle" for me as far as pink floyd goes... i'm fairly shocked that both albums don't get the word of mouth that "the wall" and "dark side of the moon" get.

macdef,
what, you don't prefer will smith's rip off with "wild wild west"? what the hell is wrong with you?
biggrin.gif

best,
carlo.

Apr 4, 2002 at 3:50 PM Post #23 of 72
Good recs. On Hendrix, I'd go with Axis Bold As Love. The record that got me into vinyl was Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved A Man The Way That I Loved You, maybe the best debut album ever (but that's another topic). The second side of Abbey Road is pretty special, too.

Apr 4, 2002 at 8:29 PM Post #25 of 72
Wow, this thread has some great responses.

Part of starting this thread is that one of my friends was raving about the Beatles recently. Now, I like a few Beatles songs tolerably well, and I made an effort to grab some of their most popular mp3s a few months ago to check out what all the fuss was about, and it just didn't do much for me. So I told my friend, hey man, I'm not into the Beatles, they just aren't my thing. He then replied "Oh, well that means you probably like the Rolling Stones. Everyone is either a Beatles man or a Stones man."

I was like um, no. Rolling Stones has never done much for me either. I figured maybe I just didn't like older music, and that was that. Even if I liked it, maybe it wasn't for me as much as some modern things are.

Then in the last few weeks I've heard Aretha Franklin albums, Pink Floyd (who I thought I didn't like) albums, B.B. King's Live in Cook County Jail, Stevie Wonder, and I really have changed my mind on that stuff. I'm gonna try and find more of the things in this thread.

Apr 5, 2002 at 6:28 AM Post #26 of 72
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo
Dee formed,
is the name a ramones reference?

Ha-ha, I just asked him that. You may want to do a search on "moniker AND Ramones AND reference" (and me, just to narrow things down). Quote:

dusty,
"animals" is second only to "meddle" for me as far as pink floyd goes... i'm fairly shocked that both albums don't get the word of mouth that "the wall" and "dark side of the moon" get.

Yeah, buddy! Although Meddle has the best song that Pink Floyd ever wrote ("Echoes"), side one has too much filler for my tastes (only like "One of These Days" and "Seamus") to be considered a truly great album, but is still a "must-have" just for those three. I used to list Animals on top, just because it was my introduction to this great band, and because I liked to pick the underrated, but I have a hard time not being honest, and to be honest, I really do love Wish You Were Here just as much, but in a completely different way.

Apr 5, 2002 at 7:17 AM Post #27 of 72
Quote:

Originally posted by RMSzero
So I told my friend, hey man, I'm not into the Beatles, they just aren't my thing. He then replied "Oh, well that means you probably like the Rolling Stones. Everyone is either a Beatles man or a Stones man."

I was like um, no. Rolling Stones has never done much for me either.

Mia in Pulp Fiction said either you're an Elvis man or a Beatles man. Try Elvis, man.

Apr 5, 2002 at 9:22 AM Post #28 of 72
Maybe I'm not a classic rock man at all, and the little bit I like is more a fringe thing! There's always that . . .

It's interesting that Elvis didn't turn up in this thread earlier. It doesn't surprise me though.

Apr 6, 2002 at 4:24 AM Post #30 of 72
talking heads - more songs about buildings and food - 1978

aside from the quirky geek-pop ('artists only'), the heads discover parliment & funkedelic ('found a job'), and even a little bit country ('the big country' is one of the most patriotic songs i know)

some records make you hang a left the second you put it on - this is one of them.

ok,
erix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back