Best "affordable" planar headphones for Schiit Gungnir + Asgard 2
Aug 25, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #16 of 22
So I'm still shopping and reading about planar magnetic headphones with a budget of 1000$ and I came down with two models ; Audeze LCD-2 and Hifiman 560.

Both receive very nice review, but I can't get myself fixed on one.
Some say the hifiman get some electrostatic noise, but some say they are the best in the world with more treble than the audeze. Audeze seems a bit warmer than the hifiman.

So I don't know if I'm better with the hifiman with my Schiit setup. Someone told me Schiit is warm, and more bassy than other, but this is my first kit I've ever listened to (and with Sennheiser Momentum so it's not really a reference yet) and I don't have enough experience in this audiophile world to really know which pair of headphone I need with this kit. I read many articles but no one agree with the other. I tried contacting Jason Stoddard via private message since he has a beautiful collection of headphones and all the Schiit hardware so I could have a reliable advice but I didn't get an answer :frowning2:

I know it's all a matter of personal taste but I can't listen to either model where I live and even if I listen to them on another system it will not sound the same once plugged in my Schiit stack.

That's why I would like advice on these two models and if anyone has auditioned these on Schiit hardware your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Aug 25, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #17 of 22
If your looking for great closed pair alpha dog by Mr speaker I have a pair. Extremely well build quality and fantastic sound. They are 500.

+2 for Alpha Dogs, awesome sounding and I also have a pair. I'd think the Alpha Prime at $799 ($200 off now) is worth looking into too.

Aug 25, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #18 of 22
I've read the 560 is more engaging, so that's more like your Momentum. The cans are way more important than the gear!

Aug 25, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #19 of 22
The Mr Speaker Alpha are closed back. I think I'm more interested by an open design. I want the get the best soundstage possible for this price range.

What do you mean by more "engaging"? They are brighter than the Audeze ? Better high?

Aug 25, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #20 of 22
I say go or he560 and enjoy it. Buy at Amazon. You don't like it return and try something else. Done that with Grado gs1000. Amazing headphone but lack of bass. Now a happy hd800 owner few headphones later. Thsts what this is all about. A journey. A fun and expensive one at that. He560 will be more then enough.

Sep 2, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #21 of 22
I listened yesterday at the Audeze LCD-2 in store. Quick audition, nothing really serious, but the songs I listened to are simply amazing. The bass in these headphones is simply mind blowing. The sound reproduction too ! I've never heard anything like this before, so realistic, so precise.

That's gonna be for sure my next pair of headphones.

Sep 19, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #22 of 22
Finally bought the LCD-2 :) But they are not brand new, but for the price (500$ less than new), it's a real joke. I made the deal of my year ! The sound is incredible ! :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back