Best affordable in- ear headphones
Apr 16, 2008 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

siresmith

New Head-Fier
I know you're going to shake your head with disapporoval, but I wasn't impressed with the Grado sr80's for portable audio listening. As these are supposed to be the bee's knees for a reasonable sum, I've given up on the full sized headphones dream.

In- ear is the way forward? I've already got Senheisser cx300's and was looking to drop the same amount of money as I was for fs phones. So I'm thinking the next level up is entry level shure/ etymotic/ultimate etc right?
As such, I would like your expert opinions on a few things. Is this idea wise- would the difference be worth it, or should I just stick to my cx300's?

If your answer is yes..
Are there any 'grado sr60/80's' of the the in- ear domain (in terms of price/performance)? ie are there any in ear phones that stand out in the aformentioned price range???
If your answer is no...
What ones should I consider then? I like a range of music, don't really know what a 'bass head' is but I do tend to like more bass than less..

Thanks for your aid, hope this helps anyone else in the same boat as well...
cool.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 26
if you can get them for the great prices folks here on occasion have scored i think the answer to the question posed in your title is the altec lansing im716. imo it's worth the original list price of $200, but on sometimes it's found for far less than that. if you like the look, feel, fit and sound of the cx300, the cx500s are supposed to be a more refined version of them, and the cx95s are supposed to be even better.

Apr 16, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 26
I would say Denon AH-C551. Currently selling for $65 at amazon if you live in USA.

Apr 17, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 26
Denon 551 is a good choice, Head-Direct RE2 is also a good in-ear phone, and is currently for sale at $80 for Head-Fiers. The Denons are more bass-oriented, and a little less money on Amazon, while the RE2s are more balanced, less boomy, more refined. With EQ, both can sound fantastic for the money. If you get either, try adding the Comply T400 foamies. Perfect tips for either of those phones. Oh, I own both, and like them both, especially in the under $100 category. In fact, they are hard to beat. I also own the 716s, but they should be used with an amp for best SQ (they are very inefficient, so hard to power).

Apr 17, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #5 of 26
x2 for the C551's. The bass is extremely well-controlled. I'm still burning mine in and can only wonder how well it sounds after that.
The Denon's seem to be crawling higher in price. They're around $68 on Amazon now.

Apr 17, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #6 of 26
x2 on tstarn06. My personal preference goes to RE2. Mind that you need to get into the RE2's group guy before 26th for the $80 price tag.

Apr 17, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 26
X3 on the Denon C551. The truly are the phone to beat in this range at the moment. I have not heard the RE2 though, but I do trust tstarn.

Denon AH-C551

The bass isn't "boomy" on the Denon (the CX300 definitely is). It does have agood quantity though. I think you'll really like it coming from the CX300.

Apr 17, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on tstarn06. My personal preference goes to RE2. Mind that you need to get into the RE2's group guy before 26th for the $80 price tag.

would the re2 be able to drive on a clip?

Apr 17, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #9 of 26
question to the OP, do you like the cx300 more than the sr80? If you do, I believe you will not be impressed when you spend more on cans unless you know your target sound

Apr 17, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
question to the OP, do you like the cx300 more than the sr80? If you do, I believe you will not be impressed when you spend more on cans unless you know your target sound

x2.

Sometimes though i like the bass quantity of my marshmallows.. sometimes. But most often, i always end up listening to my sr80's.

Apr 17, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #11 of 26
if you like bass, maybe the super.fi eb or the westone um2 or futuresonics atrio. or for a cheaper boom maybe the sony ex71 or something similar

Apr 17, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomikans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would the re2 be able to drive on a clip?

Yes. RE2 is very easy to drive.

Apr 17, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. RE2 is very easy to drive.

one more question if you don't mind.. sorry i kind of stuck between three choices

pk2/3
Re2's
q-jays

Well i'm looking to find something similar to my sr80's while not feeling sorry for my wallet. So in comparison, how do these sound alike from sr80's, and in terms of Sound quality and worth of price.

I was thinking of jumping on the group buy since it might be a lot cheaper that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back