Best affordable Amp/Dac for Sennheiser HD650
Dec 15, 2013 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Oanzer

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys!

I'm new to the head-fi forum and I have recently bought my first serious heapdhones - the Sennheiser HD650. I upgraded from my former AKG 450. I'm currently using the FiiO E10 Olympus as my amp/dac. The FiiO is probably just right on the edge to power my new Senns and i'm deffinitely looking for an upgrade, as I am sure my new Senns can sound 100x better. I'm listening on my desktop pc with a low end sound card so I deffinitely need an amp with a dac combo. 

I've been searching and reading around the Head-Fi forum and I find the HifiMan EF 2 very interresting and affordable. Would you recommend this amp for me? I also came across the Maverick Audio TubeMagic. My budget is around 200-300 $.

Thank you very much for your responses and excuse my English but I'm from Europe :)  

Dec 20, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 7
Welcome to head-fi. 
biggrin.gif

I highly recommend the Maverick Audio stuff.  I have an A1 with Telefunken tubes in it that powers both my HD600's and DT880/600's very, very well. 

Dec 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 7
I just bought 650s (made them myself actually :D) as well. I decided to go with the Aune T1 and I am happy I did. But, since this is my first amp and first headphones that require an amp, I don't provide a very enlightening perspective. Maybe someone here can second my opinion.

Dec 22, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #5 of 7
  Hi Guys!

I'm new to the head-fi forum and I have recently bought my first serious heapdhones - the Sennheiser HD650. I upgraded from my former AKG 450. I'm currently using the FiiO E10 Olympus as my amp/dac. The FiiO is probably just right on the edge to power my new Senns and i'm deffinitely looking for an upgrade, as I am sure my new Senns can sound 100x better. I'm listening on my desktop pc with a low end sound card so I deffinitely need an amp with a dac combo. 

I've been searching and reading around the Head-Fi forum and I find the HifiMan EF 2 very interresting and affordable. Would you recommend this amp for me? I also came across the Maverick Audio TubeMagic. My budget is around 200-300 $.

Thank you very much for your responses and excuse my English but I'm from Europe :)  

Greetings! My advice has a health warning in that I don't have a comprehensive collection of everything like most other forum members seem to have. However, I would say two things. First - be patient with the HD650s. The sound improves radically with burning-in (up to 100 hours). Second - it is very much improved by quality amplification. I am now using a Schiit Lyr, fed from an Audiolab M-DAC and the sound is splendid, with a little tube-rolling (or even without it, actually). These Sennheisers will reward all the money spent on them - which is one of their very welcome qualities. IMHO.

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #6 of 7
  Wait some more and get ready to spend a bit more. Otherwise, you will upgrade in 2 months.

lol i disagree. I think you can find quality dac/amp equipment at sub-$200 if you do your research. a common example is schitt M&M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back