Best Active Speakers
May 5, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #46 of 105
I'm in the same position. I had Tannoy Arena 5.1 with Marantz NR1501 which I'm selling so I can get some actives. I want something pretty compact and can spent $1-2g. With the reading I've done I am leaning towards the Neumann KH-120's. I want something very detailed and accurate but also with some musicality. It will be running off my Audio Gd Ref 7.1 & Master 5 Preamp.

Sound like I'm on the right track?? 

Or what about Event BAS 20/20's??

Any help would be appreciated.

May 5, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #47 of 105
I still have an eye on this as well.  The Mordaunt short speakers I have are a little bright up top and the Creek amplifier seems to be shot (it sounds terrible).  I know it's had a few caps replaced recently but it doesn't seem to have helped.  Moreover, there's a crossover network in the speaker that might have caps leaking, it's been 20+ years so I wouldn't be surprised.

So between opening up the speakers, checking for leaking caps, and getting an amp as an experiment to this problem, OR getting actives, I'm still undecided.  

In any case Customnuts, I'm curious to see what others recommend you.  I think after all the research I did, if I did go for a pair of sub $2K actives, it would either be K&H/Neumann or Genelecs probably.

May 5, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #48 of 105
I should also mention that these will be purely for listening pleasure at my desk & not mixing.

May 6, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #50 of 105
Quote:
My top picks at around $1,500:
  1. Focal CMS 65
  2. Neuman KH120

Thanks Mauricio, & would you have a preference between the two?
& what about a pref between KH120 & Solo 6be??

May 6, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #52 of 105
I have heard the Focal CMS 65 on a couple of occassions in a studio setting.  The sole authorized Focal dealer in Indonesia is primarily a recording/mixing/mastering studio so I got to hear them in situ.  I've also heard the Solo6 Be, but I would not dare insult your intelligence or presume to be immune to cognitive bias with a comparison between the two Focal monitors because the listening arrangment between the two was different.  What I can tell you is that the CMS 65 look very cool in a modern, industrial way with their all cast-aluminium enclosure while the Solo6 Be look gorgeous and look the part with their wood side paneling and taut build.

I have not heard the Neumann KH120.  One reason is that they are relatively new, but they seem to be garnering accolades on the pro/studio fora.  I would opt for the Focal CMS 65 simply because the accompanying Neumann subwoofer sells at an astronomical price due to its 5.1 (or is it 7.1) capabilities which I will never need  Another reason is that the Focal, with its 6.5" driver, likely has a deeper bass extension that could allay the immediate purchase of the subwoofer.

Having said that, my dream transportable, minimalist audiophile setup would be built on the basis of the Neumann KH120D (with a built-in DAC):

​
 ​

May 7, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #53 of 105
All the artists I know use Genelecs, but when I borrowed a friend's tiny ones the other week for something, they struck me as massively underpowered without a subwoofer.  Maybe it's just a matter of taste, but if you want a big sound, I would not go for those tiny actives.  I think the larger K&H or Genelecs sound amazing, but those are perhaps $10k for two.  Still probably a good deal considering all you're getting, but sort of illustrates why Head-Fi came into existence in the first place: headphone systems give you similar quality at less than 1/5 the price. 

May 7, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #54 of 105
All the artists I know use Genelecs, but when I borrowed a friend's tiny ones the other week for something, they struck me as massively underpowered without a subwoofer.  Maybe it's just a matter of taste, but if you want a big sound, I would not go for those tiny actives.  I think the larger K&H or Genelecs sound amazing, but those are perhaps $10k for two.  Still probably a good deal considering all you're getting, but sort of illustrates why Head-Fi came into existence in the first place: headphone systems give you similar quality at less than 1/5 the price. 

We're you listening near field?

May 7, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #55 of 105
Quote:
 headphone systems give you similar quality at less than 1/5 the price. 

Apples and oranges.  I know of no headphone that can render a stereo soundstage and imaging like a pair of speakers/monitors.  I know of no headphone that can give one the visceral impact of deep bass.  I know of no headphone that has as neutral and balanced a frequency response as many speakers/monitors.  Apples and bicycles, really.

May 7, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #57 of 105
Quote:
I have heard the Focal CMS 65 on a couple of occassions in a studio setting.  The sole authorized Focal dealer in Indonesia is primarily a recording/mixing/mastering studio so I got to hear them in situ.  I've also heard the Solo6 Be, but I would not dare insult your intelligence or presume to be immune to cognitive bias with a comparison between the two Focal monitors because the listening arrangment between the two was different.  What I can tell you is that the CMS 65 look very cool in a modern, industrial way with their all cast-aluminium enclosure while the Solo6 Be look gorgeous and look the part with their wood side paneling and taut build.

I have not heard the Neumann KH120.  One reason is that they are relatively new, but they seem to be garnering accolades on the pro/studio fora.  I would opt for the Focal CMS 65 simply because the accompanying Neumann subwoofer sells at an astronomical price due to its 5.1 (or is it 7.1) capabilities which I will never need  Another reason is that the Focal, with its 6.5" driver, likely has a deeper bass extension that could allay the immediate purchase of the subwoofer.

Having said that, my dream transportable, minimalist audiophile setup would be built on the basis of the Neumann KH120D (with a built-in DAC):

​
 ​

Thanks so much for all the info Mauricio. Everything your saying augments the multitude of reviews I've read. 
If I had a dedicated room with some treatment & an ideal desk, I would definitely go for the focals - probably all the way to the solo 6be as truth be told - I'm smitten. 
But my needs are basically really hi-end multimedia speakers ie run from my balanced dac at my computer for when headphones are tiring. I wanted something small with great sound that didn't need a sub unless for big-deep bass which is over kill for my room/house.
So I am leaning toward the kh120 - I just wish I could hear them. Might have to make a trip to Brisbane.

May 8, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #58 of 105
There's Genelecs and then there's Genelecs.  The really good Genelec stuff starts around $2,000/pair.  Don't waste your money on Genelec below that price floor.

Agree 1000%

The real Genelecs would fit your requirements perfectly, but are out of your price range. Maybe try to find a pair of used Genelecs since there project studios are always getting shut down these days.

I do have to point out that I am basing this opinion on many many hours of listening to a pair of Genelec 1032A monitors which list for around $2400 (each).
You might also be able to find some Adam S2X monitors used for your price range. I think the X-Art ribbon tweeters are phenomenal.
The Dynaudio BM15A's are about $1200 (each) and are very musical. Just make sure to get matching left and right models because they are not the same. :)

May 8, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #59 of 105
I'm looking for a whole setup (speakers, amp, DAC, whatever else I need) for around 1,500.  Some questions I have:

Are high end reference/monitors a good option even if the majority of your library isnt highest quality (upwards of 192kbps) ?

Would you recommend buying a pair of speakers of is a single sound good on its own?

any speaker recommendations would be appreciated also

Users who are viewing this thread

Back