Best $50-100 IEMs
Mar 30, 2008 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

andrus

New Head-Fier
I'm for some new IEMs to replace my V-Moda Vibes. I only use these when I go out so they need to sound good without amplification (source is my Zune and soon an iPhone) and I listen mostly to classic rock, acoustic and some hard rock. What do you think would suit me best? Also I can go past $100 if it's really worth it (ie something that's $30 or so more but completely outclasses everything under $100) but I'd like to stay somewhat between this price range.

Mar 30, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 19
You can try the Head-Direct RE2.
I bought a pair at the NYC meet last weekend, and they're great. I really love how they accentuate cymbals without harshness. The bass is just right to keep the music fun, and the mids are just amazing.
The cable is really nice too, and they have great build quality.

Mar 30, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 19
You might want to try the Sennheiser CX500. I've heard them and was pleasantly surprised by the sound quality--clear bass, reasonable midrange and treble and doesn't need to crank up the volume to get decent sound quality.

Mar 30, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 19
Look into the UE Super. Fi. 5 pros. They might be worth the $150 one time purchase. I use them for every style of music but everyone says they accel greatly for rock.
I had the Sure 210s for a long time and they are not nearly as good.

FOr your price range there is a lesser UE model you should look into. The super.fi 3 and the metro.

Mar 30, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll consider em but I can't seem to even find any pics of them =/, am I just not find them?

Well, they haven't been released yet, so there wouldn't be many pictures of them out there..
But I just took some pictures of them:
img9025cm0.jpg

img9029jr4.jpg

img9041vk4.jpg

img9054iq4.jpg

(Sorry for the bad quality, I'm working with an old Canon SD30
frown.gif
)

Oh, by the way, they're kind of open (see grill on back). I tried listening to music with my fingers over the grills once, and it was horrendous. The grills give them better soundstage, clarity, bass, and highs. With minimal sound leakage
biggrin.gif

The stock biflange tips isolate very well, too.

Mar 30, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #7 of 19
I think I'm going to go for the UEs, just have a few questions.. Is it really worth it to step up from the 3 to 5 series? And if I get the 5 series, is the extra bass version alright for rock music because it's $150 while the normal one is $200. Also do you have to wear them with the wire around your ear?

Mar 30, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #8 of 19
You should also consider the Denon AH-C551 or C700. Very good canalphones (they blow the CX500 out of the water from what I've heard) for a good price. The C551s have an MSRP at $99, and they're definitely worth it. Amazing bass response without it becoming overpowering, nice clear highs, and they're also really comfortable. Can't speak for the C700s though, since I haven't tried them.

Apr 1, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #13 of 19
I think I am now going to get the Denon C551's. They look like they'll be really nice for $65. They are durable though right? I see that everyone says they are well-built but will the wire be able to take some heat? This is important esp. after having my Vibes break on me 2 times in a period of less then 1.5 years -_-. And they are an upgrade to them correct?

Apr 1, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #14 of 19
To me the Super.Fi 5 Pros were terrible-muddy, bloated bass, rolled off highs. In that price range I would recommend the Altec Lansing iM716s, bought a pair for my fiance for xmas and I liked them better than my Shure E500s (hopefully soon to be sold). The iM716s were very detailed with good mid range and plenty of bass for a non-basshead. Just my two cents worth. Good luck with whatever you find!

-sid

Apr 1, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'm going to go for the UEs, just have a few questions.. Is it really worth it to step up from the 3 to 5 series? And if I get the 5 series, is the extra bass version alright for rock music because it's $150 while the normal one is $200. Also do you have to wear them with the wire around your ear?

I have a pair that I am no longer using (I upgraded to triple-fis). If you want to make me an offer, I'll listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back