Best 5 Headphones Of The Decade!
Apr 8, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #46 of 80
Thanks for that info man. I was really leaning toward the Hedd and may still end up with one at some point, but prolly gonna get the 800S first. As far as the SE goes I have the Susvara and was able to compare the two at home for a week or 2 thanks to @mixman for lettin me borrow his SE's. The SE's are great but to me the Susvara adds just enough refinement to justify purchasing them over the SE's if you can get them for under the $4k mark.

One thing to consider: as a former owner of the 800S, I actually preferred the less expensive 800 with the SDR mod.

Apr 9, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #47 of 80
Hah, I am trying to get Dan to consider the Abyss TC, then, along with the Susvara, he will be at complete endgame. Not sure the HD800 is for him since he likes his bass.

I will wait till I get the HEDD and VC before adding my choices to this thread.
HAHA Yeah I keep considering the 1266TC, but just cant see that thing sitting on my head comfortably while reclined in a chair. The main reason I'm considering the HD800 is just for the soundstage. If however the rest of the sound is not so grand I will pass. Actually considering getting another Ether 2 if not the 800.

Apr 10, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #48 of 80
I'm kinda new, about 2 year and young, so i should not put this here.
But what if i'll do.

1) Hifiman HE1000V2
2) Audeze El-8 Titanium
3) Hifiman HE1000se
4) Audeze LCD-XC (HiFi meet)
5) Audioquest NightOwl (Something more warm and traditional driver was missing up there)
:)

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #49 of 80
Well I ordered the HD800S so I guess I will see if that one joins my list soon. :L3000:

Apr 11, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #50 of 80
Well I ordered the HD800S so I guess I will see if that one joins my list soon. :L3000:
I really liked the 800S and it would be on my list. Very agile sounding, it just crackled with energy and despite being fond of slightly warm signatures, I didn't find it analytical at all. I drove it with a nice OTL amp with some sweet tubes as well as very nice SS amplification and loved it with both.

May 3, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #52 of 80
Not as many high end cans on this list as I would've expected. I see the HD800S is popular. I would like any input you all might be able to provide me as to whether or not its a worthy investment after reading my list.

1. Stax SR-009 and SR-009S - If the sound pressure level in the cups wasn't getting to me I would still own these as they are by far the best audio experience I have had to date.

2. Hifiman Susvara - I don't find this headphone to be as perfect as the rest of the world seems to think, but it does have an incredible sound to it and doesn't do anything wrong sound wise. Hifiman does seem to have issues with quality as all are aware on here. I hate the pads but can deal with it for the sound which to my memory is the best planar I've heard.

3. Meze Empyrean - By no means is this the best sounding headphone I've heard, but nothing about it is offensive in any way. Though the sound quality is just not anywhere near that of the above 2 it is by far the best headphone on the market for just relaxing and losing yourself in the music. Comfort and build quality are simply the best I've seen on any headphone to date.

4. Focal Utopia - These were absolutely incredible... that is once you set the stock cable on fire and got a new one. You could say this about the Susvara cable which may actually have been worse.

5. Not sure yet - Looking forward to trying the 800S if it gets good endorsement from you kind folks. Also can't wait to hear the Heddphone. Also I've owned an Ether 2 in the past and remember that being amazing so I may purchase one of those again. I've owned basically every Audeze can they've made including the LCD-4 (twice) and the LCD-4z. They sounded great until I would hear them against some stiff competition only to realize I've likely never owned an above average version of them as there tends to be so much variation from one to the other. My favorite Audezes were the MX4 and the X.

Im open to suggestion or input from anyone.

Thanks guys
Curious, I saw you mentioned selling the Voce. In your add you stated you liked these better than the 009. Did I misread this?

“I just wrote a review in the Stax III thread about the five headphones if you would like to read what I really thought of these in compare to the others. I chose these over the SR-009 and SR-007 and Shangri-La Jr.”

Reason I ask that I am pondering the purchase of the Voce.

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #53 of 80
Curious, I saw you mentioned selling the Voce. In your add you stated you liked these better than the 009. Did I misread this?

“I just wrote a review in the Stax III thread about the five headphones if you would like to read what I really thought of these in compare to the others. I chose these over the SR-009 and SR-007 and Shangri-La Jr.”

Reason I ask that I am pondering the purchase of the Voce.
I certainly did pick the Voce when I originally wrote that particular review. I still believe they are one of the best all around headphones on the market. In the end I found myself always choosing the 009/S because the top end detail was just irresistible. I wish at this point I had held on to the Voce though. After using the 009 for so long my ears began to ache and that pain was just always there. I may have been listening at to loud a volume, but I am not sure of that. I do know that since hearing and using warmer sounding cans the pain has gone away. I wish I had still had the Voce at that point to see if their slightly warmer tonality would have helped, but I couldn't see going back now just to try them as the expense would be to much.

All that being said I thought bout putting the Voce on this list, but it had been so long since I heard them that I just can't remember where they lined up with the other cans on the list. I likely would and probably should revise this list and they would be either above or below the Susvara. Probably above them just based on comfort and certainly above the Empyrean even though right now the Empyreans are my favorite headphones to use. I would have sold the Susvara if its sound wasn't so good. I don't find them incredibly comfortable and I hate the bloody pads and the cable they came with is simply unacceptable for headphones above $1k let alone $6k, but damn do they sound great.

I appreciate you pointing this out to me though now it makes me really want to hear them again haha. The Voce are absolutely fantastic headphones and far more innovative than so many other headphones with an incredible build quality. Since I mentioned cables lets also not forget that MrSpeakers on his first electrostat can revolutionized the cable system allowing them to be changed and the cable was great.

May 3, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #54 of 80
SR-009
SR-007
SR-Omega
HD800
HE-500 modified LFF Code-X

Honorable mentions:
Verite
HEDDphone
SR1a

Just too new for serious consideration.

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #57 of 80
I have been through alot of headphones in the past few years here's what belive are the best from those I have owned

Stax 009 with a KGSS amp
Stax 007 again must be with a KGSS amp

Focal Utopia
Shure KSE1200
LCDi4

Best used buy on a mid budget HD800
Best Budget HD650
Best mid IEM Campfire Andromeda
Best Budget IEM AKG3003i

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #58 of 80
I’m gonna neglect the yacht-cans..y’know the ones that add luxurious materials to a sound that most likely costs less than an HD600.
The following are all headphones that are tuned brilliantly as well as offering quite the bang for one’s buck.

R70x (Why has it taken so long for another company to make a rival to the HD600/650?)
HD58X (A lightweight Aeolus with better mids and treble)
Sundara (Neutral with a bright tilt has literally never sounded this good...most definitely not at this pricepoint!)
K371 (A closed can with a neutral response...without icecycles in the treble..what?!?? Oh yeah)
KNS8400 (The forgotten closedback that acts as a sort of 650-Jack-of-all-trades..master of quite a few genres. Think SRH1540 sound quality in a lighter and much cheaper coconut)

May 4, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #59 of 80
This is all subjective, but I guess the list becomes more interesting if I just tweak it to my own preferances, and just ignore what I think "most" would prefer.

1. Stax SR-007 mk1
2. Stax SR-L500
3. Stax SR-L300
4. LCD 2.2f
5. Fostex TH 900

I could own any of these and be happy. These headphones are to me surprisingly close in overall enjoyment factor, however the Stax are significantly superior in acoustic/classic/voice reproduction, while the LCD and Fostex are superior for more contemporary music like pop, hiphop, EDM and so on.

May 4, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #60 of 80
Best wasn't defined (never is really), so that leaves definition open. Decade was abandoned in the first post (HD600), so that doesn't apply either.

Abyss Diana - simply one of the most real sounding headphones, enjoyable and accurate.
Ultrasone Signature Pro - Underrated closed back fun sounding headphone, that is very versatile, efficient and built like a tank.
AKG Q701 - one of the best budget headphones available, sounds fantastic for around $200usd -maybe the HD58X or HD6XX can claim better bang for the buck, but it is just preference.
Sony WH 1000mx3 - best ANC on the planet and all round good portable listen with a solid boosted bass.
LCD 2 and AEON closed, two special headphones for different reasons.

I'm sure there are plenty of better/best headphones I haven't heard, a lot depends on mood, the music, situation and preferences. The journey is more entertaining than the destination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back