Best 5 Headphones Of The Decade!
Dec 19, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #17 of 80
OF THE DECADE! I take this as hp's we will be talking about for another decade... or were major breakthroughs of some sort

hd800s
audeze lcd-x
stax sr-009
hifiman he-400/500
abyss 1266

honorable mentions:
focal utopia
he-1000
susvara
hd660

Dec 20, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #18 of 80
1. Focal Stellia - heard it several times, need to save some money...
2. Denon D9200 - not my 100% signature but the quality is there and with the right music unbeatable
3. Meze Empyrean - heard it several times, too expensive for what it does but I love the signature
4. MDR-Z1R - still a very good headphone
5. Aeon Open - my favourite headphone the last few years but definitely not technically the best

Dec 20, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #21 of 80
For my decade:
- focal Stella: best closed back I ever heard!
- stax sr-007mk2: best open back I ever heard.
- Sennheiser he-60: finally owned it, sold it
- Fostex th900 sb: the blue beauty
- beyerdynamic t1.2 black: perhaps the best allround

The T1.2 Black is a great headphone, love the thing. Basically how I feel about it, fantastic all-rounder.

Dec 22, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #22 of 80
Well, this decade marked the beginning for me, of a point in life where i had a chance to try some of the gear i'd read about, and really start digging in to headphones/audio gear in ways i'd never done previously. The first pair i heard that was different than most of the mainstream but otherwise fine products i'd heard was the HD650. i loved them, and they set a high bar for me, but i wasn't after openback at the time, and didn't have funds yet for an amp of any kind. So after scouring the interwebs, i decided to audition the oppo PM3. They were exactly what i was looking for and paired well with the V20 i had at the time.
Then i got the HA-2SE and decided i was ready to find some openbacks and better components, so down the rabbit hole i went.
next purchase was the Sennheiser HD800S, which i scored for dirt cheap for a brand new pair, RIP unique squared, thanks for the hookup.
Then i got a Jotunheim, Gumbi and loki after listening to a bunch of dacs and amps, then the homeruns stopped for a bit with a few missteps, notably the Focal Elear, and the Final D8000.
To round out my top 5, the AFO and the PSB M4U 8. All 5 of these headphones; the 650, PM3, HD800S, AFO and M4U8, are versatile, and a great value imo.
I kind of regret trading my m4u8 and don't own the 650, but the 650 started this journey for me and even if that weren't the case, it would still be in my top 5 i've heard.

Dec 23, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #24 of 80
1. AudioQuest NightHawk. A bit like a crossing between the Denon AH-D5000s and the Sony MDR-Z7s. The more natural soundstage and instrumental timbre of the D5000s coupled with the darker hued tone and smoothness of the Z7s. Add to that a bigger resolution and zero grain. I think I have to pay thousands to get a significant better sounding pair of headphones.
2. Denon AH-D5000. The most used headphones of the bunch I have. The most alien sounding at first: bright, slightly thin and with a huge sub-bass. Once used to their tonality they are very addictive and many times perceived by me as the best sounding pair I have ever heard.
3. Sony MDR-Z7. The first pair of headphones and audio product in years that gave me back the enjoyment of that old analogue tape sound of my youth. Big loose 'loudnessy' bass and smooth highs.
4. Audio Technica ATH-A900X. Still one of the best headphones in the price range up to 300 euro. It clicks almost immediately, very little time needed to adjust. The low mids are magical, the slight grain in these lower mids add an addictive euphoric texture, hard to explain but I love it. Not the most comfortable pair.
5. AKG K550 MKII. The most natural and neutralish tonality. If I put these on and listen to music I don't step into another world. The tonality is very similar to the sound I hear in my surrounding, meaning outside noise, tv playing, people talking. Musically very nice, very little peaks and dips. But ultimately less engaging than nos 1-4

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #25 of 80
1. Focal Stellia - heard it several times, need to save some money...
2. Denon D9200 - not my 100% signature but the quality is there and with the right music unbeatable
3. Meze Empyrean - heard it several times, too expensive for what it does but I love the signature
4. MDR-Z1R - still a very good headphone
5. Aeon Open - my favourite headphone the last few years but definitely not technically the best

I'd really love to hear your breakdown comparing the Stellia, D9200 and Z1R in more detail.

I own a Verite Closed, and I'm considering trading my LCD-4 for another closed compliment to it.
(Being able to listen open-back is just too inconsistent over the long run for me)

Jan 8, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #27 of 80
No particular order, and additionally I can't make the claim of best as I haven't compared these to every headphone made over the same time period. So all I can say are the five following headphones made a very big impression on me (and I have owned all 5 on my list).
Edition X V2
HD800S
MDR-Z1R
SE Monitor 5
HP-3

Very honourable mention for the Quad ERA-1. I regret not buying it mint used when I could have, but I already had lovely headphones so I just couldn't justify adding another. Same goes for the Oppo PM-1.

Jan 9, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #28 of 80
My headphone journey kinda reflects my favorites...

Sennheiser HD-580 Precision : My first foray into headphones. I loved the intimate vocals and the timbre of the instruments. Did not care for the muddling of detail due to failing to separate instruments. Very laid back, relaxing sound, but it kind of got boring for me. Still the most neutral of all of it's siblings of the 5 and 6 series.

Sony MDR-SA5000 : Got these for $325, and I wanted to try out Sony's then flagship headphones. These are what the HD580 aren't: spacious soundstage, amazing speed, resolving and detailed. The tuning for these are for classical, female vocals and jazz. Even with EQ, lower registers are too rolled off, but you can make it work for Rock. Very airy, and delicate sound. I've always felt these (and the Qualia 010) set the stage for later headphones (and drivers) by other makers.

Now if I can only get a headset that can combine the best of both headphones, speed, detail, resolving, natural soundstage, able to still be intimate, and more engaging and fun vs the other two. Well, 14 years later:

Beyerdynamics DT-1990 Pro : The Analytical pads are very reminiscent of the SA5000 sound, but with better lower end, and more visceral impact and timbre.The A pads also don't recede the mids like the B-pads do, which I feel makes things more engaging. Detail, speed, and timbre. :) I use Oratory1990 Parametric tunings in EQ APO.

Future cans: I have my tastes set for a pair of Klipsch HP-3. I've owned some Klipsch speakers, and love the Klipsch sound, and horn tweeters. They really make brass stand up and be noticed. I understand the HP-3 have a similar tuning, and are very fun and engaging headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #29 of 80
As the decade fades away.......what have been the greatest headphones you came in contact with? Price is irrelevant, as well as rarity. Remember too there is no right or wrong list but simply subjective opinions and needs. Strangely too your list can even have headphones older than 10 years old. Go to town!

1) Sony MDR-Z1R
2) Denon AH-D7000
3) Sennheiser HD600
4) Sennheiser HD800
5) Sony MDR-Z7

HD600 still one of the best regardless of price. I’ve owned & sold much more expensive headphones but have never been without my HD600 for the past 17 years.

Jan 10, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #30 of 80
HD600 still one of the best regardless of price. I’ve owned & sold much more expensive headphones but have never been without my HD600 for the past 17 years.
1. ZMF Eikon
2. Philips Fidelio X2
3. Audeze LCD2
4. Hifiman Arya
5. Blon BL-3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back