Best 5 Headphones Of The Decade!
Dec 18, 2019 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

Redcarmoose

Headphoneus Supremus
As the decade fades away.......what have been the greatest headphones you came in contact with? Price is irrelevant, as well as rarity. Remember too there is no right or wrong list but simply subjective opinions and needs. Strangely too your list can even have headphones older than 10 years old. Go to town!

1) Sony MDR-Z1R
2) Denon AH-D7000
3) Sennheiser HD600
4) Sennheiser HD800
5) Sony MDR-Z7

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 80
Without mods and in no particular order:

JVC Flats
Sennheiser HD600
Sony MH1
Hifiman RE262

Absolute best sound I have heard is a modified full size headphone not included here. Pardon the IEMs, it's very rare to find a full sized can that doesn't sound obnoxiously distorted to my ears (in mortal price ranges).

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 80
Looks like none of you guys know what 'decade' means? LOL

Maybe call this post, "Best headphones of the Century". This will help out.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 80
This is kind of a hard one for me. I don't just want to pick my top 5 headphones, I'd also like to factor in value, and even influence.

I guess I'd say something like...

1. Hifiman HE-500 - Certainly the best, most rounded headphone I've heard. On top of that, it came out at a time when planar magnetics weren't all that common. These and the LCD-2 really put planar magnetic headphones into the mainstream. Even from a value perspective, when these came out they undercut the Sennheiser HD800 and I think even the LCD-2, and still sounded better to me. It was that perfect storm that makes these the headphone of the decade to me.
2. AKG K612 - Pretty much the king of sub-$200 open-back headphones. They are superbly well-balanced, inexpensive, and these days they're fairly easy to drive, thanks to advancements in amp design. I personally would say these best even the Sennheiser HD600/650, despite being cheaper.
3. Sennheiser HD800 - These basically made spending over a grand on headphones palatable to mainstream consumers. And well-worth it they are! They're a legend for good reason, and while I do think there are better headphones out there, there's no mystery why these get so much love.
4. Sony MDR-Z1R - Pure decadence. Beautiful sounding in their own right, I think more than that they are just top to bottom a fantastic headphone. While expensive (very expensive, even) these headphones were designed with the finest materials out there; from the sheepskin pads, titanium frame, silver plated cable, and a plethora of exotic materials in the drivers and housing, these headphones gave you a chance to own the finest of something without having to have a six-figure income.
5. Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro - I forgot about this one! The headphone I dubbed the king of bass, this is a really interesting one. Beyerdynamic caught a lot of flak for their Tesla design, and this headphone in particular was nearly universally maligned when it came out. It developed a cult following, but has slowly started to work its way into the mainstream. It's one of the most exciting sounding headphones I've ever heard, and it carries a special distinction in that it keeps that same energy at low volumes. I find this to be a rare characteristic, as it seems most headphones lose all their bass at low volumes.

EDIT: Dang, I just noticed the HD800 came out in 2009. Meh, close enough.

Looks like none of you guys know what 'decade' means? LOL

Maybe call this post, "Best headphones of the Century". This will help out.

In fairness, some of us have accounts that span multiple decades. When you've been on the forum for so long the decades just kind of run together. :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #8 of 80
This is kind of a hard one for me. I don't just want to pick my top 5 headphones, I'd also like to factor in value, and even influence.

1. Hifiman HE-500 - Certainly the best, most rounded headphone I've heard. On top of that, it came out at a time when planar magnetics weren't all that common. These and the LCD-2 really put planar magnetic headphones into the mainstream. Even from a value perspective, when these came out they undercut the Sennheiser HD800 and I think even the LCD-2, and still sounded better to me. It was that perfect storm that makes these the headphone of the decade to me.
2. AKG K612 - Pretty much the king of sub-$200 open-back headphones. They are superbly well-balanced, inexpensive, and these days they're fairly easy to drive, thanks to advancements in amp design. I personally would say these best even the Sennheiser HD600/650, despite being cheaper.
3. Sennheiser HD800 - These basically made spending over a grand on headphones palatable to mainstream consumers. And well-worth it they are! They're a legend for good reason, and while I do think there are better headphones out there, there's no mystery why these get so much love.
4. Sony MDR-Z1R - Pure decadence. Beautiful sounding in their own right, I think more than that they are just top to bottom a fantastic headphone. While expensive (very expensive, even) these headphones were designed with the finest materials out there; from the sheepskin pads, titanium frame, silver plated cable, and a plethora of exotic materials in the drivers and housing, these headphones gave you a chance to own the finest of something without having to have a six-figure income.
5. Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro - I forgot about this one! The headphone I dubbed the king of bass, this is a really interesting one. Beyerdynamic caught a lot of flak for their Tesla design, and this headphone in particular was nearly universally maligned when it came out. It developed a cult following, but has slowly started to work its way into the mainstream. It's one of the most exciting sounding headphones I've ever heard, and it carries a special distinction in that it keeps that same energy at low volumes. I find this to be a rare characteristic, as it seems most headphones lose all their bass at low volumes.

In fairness, some of us have accounts that span multiple decades. When you've been on the forum for so long the decades just kind of run together. :beyersmile:

I totally agree with the value and influence part. As we can easily move away from modern performers and list the influencers and style shifters. As.......such hallmark products changed the industry and made way for what was to come. It’s safe to say there are headphones which may or may not be popular now, but became essential to how future headphones evolved.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #9 of 80

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #10 of 80

Right HD800 2009, but I put 1998’s Sennheiser HD600. It doesn’t matter when they came out.

Dec 19, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #11 of 80

Ah the DT 1770, the Beyer that made me love Beyers, well that and the DT 150. It would probably be number 6 or 7 of my list. It’s been so long I need to listen to one again, I do miss them as they are oddly engaging, it’s sibling headphone the DT 1990 with balanced pads is very engaging as well. I found the Tesla Beyers in general pretty good at having bass presence at lower listening levels compared to some other headphones, must be those magnets.

I do have a RR 1 Conquest as my first e-stat, but won’t have an e-stat amp until early next year so haven’t heard it yet. Should be a nice start to the new decade of audio for me.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #12 of 80
I haven't used as many cans as most of you here, but I'm very happy with what I do use the most. Can't speak for the ultimate high end, planar or electrostatics as I have not used them. I've picked up what I've needed during the decade.

1. Sennheiser HD600, while released way back, I haven't had them for 10 years(or have I?). My pair is made in Ireland and is a natural sounding can in most situations. Like a swiss knife of headphones. Exactly what I'm looking for. And comfortable. Scales very well with amping, mostly in the bass which can be lacking in quality.

2. AKG K612 Pro, already mentioned, it pairs nice with the HD600 as it has a way bigger soundstage and a deeper bass while not as much slam. Treble is also more fine grained with less "S". Also comfortable. The big con is while they are cheap themselves they sound crap without a powerful headphone amp, very hard to drive to their potential. So not so cheap after all, but very very nice sounding when amped right. Also cheaper construction than HD600, non detachable cord etc.

3. Bluetooth. Sony WH-H900N, a budget version of Sony WH-1000XM3 with the same drivers but cheaper overall construction and a less capable DSP. Sounds very good though, I mostly use LDAC with DTS:X from the LG G7 and it's very fun listening on the go. Powerful, big live like soundstage. Maybe not ultimate "HiFi" but very musical as music sounds fun - as it should! Bass reserves are endless. Noise canceling works ok, can't handle wind but my car lacks a motor and a road. Very good call quality as well.

4. Sony MDR-ZX700, a consumer version of Sonys standard studio cans. Works well pretty much everywhere, not refined but universal and easily driven. I use them when recording on the road.

5. Samson SR850C, a rebadged Superlux can, pretty much falls in the same categoy as the Sony above and with similar sound quality for half the price. Not as comfortable, but a lot of quality sound for very little money.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #13 of 80
In no particular, and extremely subjective order, these are the headphones that left the greatest emotional impression on me.

Sennheiser HE-1 (that was a special 45 minutes - the very definition of 'separation')
JVC HA-DX1000
JVC HA-D1000
Satolex Plum hdh0297 - just to throw an absolute curve-ball into the mix.
Sabia V6 - sorry, I know this is an earbud, but I have to put it in here as it turned my music-listening-world upside down.

I must leave out my HE-500, due to endless mods, channel imbalance, stupid cable, weight... it's just not a 'great' headphone.

Dec 19, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #14 of 80
Been out of the loop for the better part of a decade (still listening, but not seeking any new headphones), so mine in the order of head time would be:
1) Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 - I brought these to work because I needed 'phones for work and these were getting no head time. After replacing the perished ear pads (vinyl part crumbles, leather part is fine) and realising that I may never find replacements ever again, I discovered that VesperAudio makes custom all-leather (should last) circumaural earpads. This totally transformed them both in comfort and sound and were the 1st set of closed headphones that I was ever happy with.
2) Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 - was my go-to at home for about 10 years. They are on their 3rd set of earpads and 2nd set of wing pads, and are still mint.
3) Koss KSC75X - previously KSC75, this is my 4th pair and I've used them exclusively at the gym for over a decade!
4) Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 32ohm - has become my go-to at home more recently

No 5th entry, because I haven't listened to anything else for any significant time over the past decade!

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #15 of 80
Here's my list of headphones, IEMs, and earbuds out of products that I own. These are in no particular order.

HD-6XX
VE Monk Plus
Hifiman HE-560
Campfire Audio Andromeda
Audeze LCD-4z

If I could list things that I don't own but have come up in a lot of my reading about the audiophile headphone scene then I might include these as well. Dan Clark Audio Voce, Tin Audio T*, and the HD 800/s. There's probably a bunch of other things that have been quite popular over the past decade but this is just what comes to mind. Looking forward to another decade of innovation in this industry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back