best 3D gaming headphone w/ big soundstage
Mar 30, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Assuming you'll be using a proper gaming soundcard, most have a headphone setting that automatically crossfeeds the channels and much more properly than any amp with EAX and the like. That's one area the Audigy2 series' headphone setting actually sounds excellent.

im on a audigy 1 gamer. The differences between an audigy 1 and 2 are very very little, which is why i never upgraded. they do have a headphone setting which is what im using, but eax is horrible. makes everything sound so fake. i hate it. a3d isn't so bad tho. havn't used it in a while though.

Quote:

Come on guys, the original poster asked for a recommendation of gaming headphones, not for a rundown of whether or not headstage/imaging/soundstage exists or not.

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:42 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by JeffL

Personally I can't answer your questions though, sorry eMpAtHy (and I have some for you lol).

Sure we can...but it'd cost him more than 100 bucks.
evil_smiley.gif

Looks at sig.... *nods*

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:45 AM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by eMpAtHy
im on a audigy 1 gamer. The differences between an audigy 1 and 2 are very very little, which is why i never upgraded. they do have a headphone setting which is what im using, but eax is horrible. makes everything sound so fake. i hate it. a3d isn't so bad tho. havn't used it in a while though.

I believe that no Creative soundcard supports a3d, it only translates it to eax/directsound.
The only card that supports a3d 2+ is the Aureal Vortex2 .

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:08 AM Post #22 of 32
OH shoot. I failed to see the 100 dollar and under thing. haha.
I TAKE IT BACK!
a500 would be a sweet deal then, unamped.
how much do cd3000s run anyway? are they everything and more? I hear they always beat hd650/600.

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #23 of 32
For FPS such as CS, HALO, etc I use my Sony V6s. They provide very good positioning, much better than my old Koss UR 29's. I've also played with Sennheiser HD570's and the Sony CD780, but they're not as good sounding for FPS as the V6s, as they have less bass. They are alot more comfortable though. Once you step up to a good set of headphones you'll notice a huge difference from you're old POS ones, but comparing between all of the sub $100 ones isnt going to get you far. I'd say just choose whether you want closed or open phones, then pick from the generic headphone reccomendations in this price category with an emphasis on comfort... aka Sony V6, Sennheiser 280, AKG 240s for closed and Senn HD570, Senn 497, Sony CD780, grado sr60, AKG501, etc...

For ultra cheap I just ordered the Labtec Elite 840s for $24 that are supposedly the best closed super cheap phones out there to some.

I dont know much about the headsets, except the plantronics ones break very very frequently, and the PC150's look more like the lower end sennheisers than the ones discussed above.

GL with the search for your phones

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:35 AM Post #24 of 32
V6 good for games? hey didn't know that.
Yeah if you can, check out akg 240s like he said
and my panasonic rp ht355 if you are on a STRICT budget. but I really recommend going 100 dollars around there. As I am looking for better musical hps.

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:39 AM Post #25 of 32
I have used my Sony V6 for gaming a lot, and also the Senn280, and both are very good for games, both are closed headphones and very easy to drive by a soundcard, but I give the edge to V6s, the bass is more present and also have a better positioning than the senn, but both are pretty good. Also I cant stand the Senn280 for to much time, the clamping force is to much for playing more than a couple of hours, but they provide very good insolation.

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:41 AM Post #26 of 32
Yeah. I ditched my hd280pro buying, its no longer on my list. I want some comfort, and bass. Like i always say, the midrange was jawdropping to me, it made the piano and vocals so powerfully clear, present and live/realistic. The thing is, the cd was propaganda. NO bass instruments were present.

Mar 31, 2004 at 7:15 AM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Buster Sword
Yeah. I ditched my hd280pro buying, its no longer on my list. I want some comfort, and bass. Like i always say, the midrange was jawdropping to me, it made the piano and vocals so powerfully clear, present and live/realistic. The thing is, the cd was propaganda. NO bass instruments were present.

Good summary of the 280.

Mar 31, 2004 at 7:19 AM Post #28 of 32
I've also read the Beyerdynamic DT-770 is great for gaming, especially for first person shooters. The base response is supposed to be very good, but I haven't heard them myself yet. I'd definitely say from what I've heard about them they sound great.

~Range

Mar 31, 2004 at 7:31 AM Post #29 of 32
I've also read the Beyerdynamic DT-770 is great for gaming, especially for first person shooters. The base response is supposed to be very good, but I haven't heard them myself yet. I'd definitely say from what I've heard about them they sound great.

~Range

Users who are viewing this thread

Back