Best $300 or under amp for HD600's
Mar 4, 2013 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ardy

New Head-Fier
Mainly listen to Jazz and some classical and classic rock.I've got a fairly nice home setup (Jeff Rowland,Acoustic Zen speaks) and wanted something for late night listening.Just picked up a pair of HD600's (thanks Razordog) and need an amp for it.Source will be a Cambridge 840C cd player with built in DAC.Smooth clean midrange is my priority.Solid state or tube doesn't matter,if the sound isn't strident in the highs..(my biggest dislike) I sometimes have to leave a store that's running flouresent tubes because of the high pitch they give off.
This setup will not be hooked up to a computer.
 My budget is $300.What would fit my needs the best?Thanks.

Mar 4, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 8
Lots of people are excited about this amp,it is supposed to match really well with the hd600
http://www.head-fi.org/t/650092/new-schiit-asgard-2

Mar 4, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
Lots of people are excited about this amp,it is supposed to match really well with the hd600
http://www.head-fi.org/t/650092/new-schiit-asgard-2

I'd wait to hear some reviews on the Asgard 2. If you follow the thread, there have been lots of kinks w/ this new release. But it could be a great amp, better than the first one, which I thought was kind of congested and too warm w/ the HD600, though having plenty of juice. Other love the combo.

I've owned both the HD600 and HD650 and own both currently. I think there are lots of options under the $300 mark with no clear winner. The E09K is really good with the HD600. The O2 is also quite adequate, though at this point I prefer the E09k over the O2. I thought the Schiit Magni was too bright and thin with the HD600, though some have liked the combo. I've got a Headamp Micro coming now aftering reading positive reviews for the classic. It's on sale from headroom now for $249. I'll let you know how it goes.

I think the best budget amp I've heard w/ the HD650 (though I didn't have the HD600 at the time) is the Yulong A800. I'm one of the few users on the forums who have had one and I regret selling it, though it was the right choice at the time; you won't find much written on it. You can pick it up on ebay or from grant fidelity for $179. Slightly warm sound w/ incredible power and great dynamics. I'm going to rebuy one in the next couple weeks and write a proper review. I don't think you can go wrong trying it. It would be my first choice, I think.

If you do DIY stuff, everyone will recommend the Bottlehead Crack. I wish I did DIY. I'd love to hear the Crack.

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 8
I don't dyi, but i don't mind rolling tubes and have a large assortment from years ago when i had CJ and AR amps.You've given me a few choices to research.What about the little dot mkll or mklll or are they surpassed by others now?

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
I don't dyi, but i don't mind rolling tubes and have a large assortment from years ago when i had CJ and AR amps.You've given me a few choices to research.What about the little dot mkll or mklll or are they surpassed by others now?

The MKiii is a common recommended entry desktop amp, as well as the Darkvoice SE336. Both are recommended w/ the HD6xx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back