Best 3.5mm to 2.5mm Converter (low profile)
May 22, 2022 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jeff6605

New Head-Fier
I want to use my Westone W80s in the balanced port of the Hiby R3 Pro Raptor, but don't want it to be too bulky of a conversion. However, don't want to trade off for a cheap adapter. Can anyone recommend the best on the market converter for this to use the balanced port? I have never gone to balanced yet...

Thanks!!

May 22, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #2 of 9
To clarify, you want to use the 2.5mm balanced output of the Hiby with the 3.5mm TRS plug on your Westones?
You should never do this as it will cause a short within the DAP.
If you want to use the balanced out you should get a balanced cable.

May 22, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #3 of 9
To clarify, you want to use the 2.5mm balanced output of the Hiby with the 3.5mm TRS plug on your Westones?
You should never do this as it will cause a short within the DAP.
If you want to use the balanced out you should get a balanced cable.
Oh, I thought I could just use an adapter to bring the mm down so I could plug it into the smaller balanced port. So your saying if I want to go balanced I have to totally rewire the westones?

May 22, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #4 of 9
Oh, I thought I could just use an adapter to bring the mm down so I could plug it into the smaller balanced port. So your saying if I want to go balanced I have to totally rewire the westones?
Yes. I think the W80 uses MMCX connectors, so any cable with those should work.
I've used a balanced FiiO cable with my UM Pro 50 and it worked okay, but the connectors were a bit mushy and I thought it might damaged my IEMs if I connected/disconnected too many times. My recommendation would be to get an MMCX removal tool to be safe.

May 22, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #5 of 9
Yes. I think the W80 uses MMCX connectors, so any cable with those should work.
I've used a balanced FiiO cable with my UM Pro 50 and it worked okay, but the connectors were a bit mushy and I thought it might damaged my IEMs if I connected/disconnected too many times. My recommendation would be to get an MMCX removal tool to be safe.
Man, that is good you let me know, thank you!

I am dealing with another issue, you may have experience in. Most of the time I plan on coming out the the Mojo Gen 1, which I don't even think they have a balanced output...

I plan on stacking them, I have case that snaps them right on top of each other, So my output would be out of the Mojo Gen 1.

The question I have, obviously the two units (Mojo and R3 Raptor need to be connected together. So I am looking for a solution for a short cord that will join the two. Now, There could be some different options. I can go from USB C from the R3, BUT on the other end to the MOJO should I be looking to connect through which of their options, theirs COAX, mini USB or Optical. I don't know if I can find some of these combinations, but which would give me the best link together of those three? I would be looking for short cord because they will literally be sitting on top of each other. Thanks for all your advice.

May 22, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #6 of 9
Well, I'm not familiar with either of those devices, so I'm not sure I can give you the best answer. If the R3 only has a USB connection, then that's what you'll have to use. As far as I know, there's no such thing as a USB-to-coax/optical cable, so you'd have to have a USB-to-SPDIF converter (AKA, a DDC (digital-digital converter)) between the R3 and the Mojo. And I've never heard of a portable DDC. Anyway, that sounds way overly complicated for minimal (if any) gain.

Also, I just realized that the W80 has an extremely low impedance of 5 ohms. Balanced usually (always?) has 2x the output impedance of single-ended. Make sure the balanced output of your Hiby is 0.625 ohms or lower in order to get the best sound.

If it were me, I'd forgo the balanced connection altogether and just keep it simple with the original cable. I'm not a fan of balanced and consider it a gimmick.

May 22, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #7 of 9
Well, I'm not familiar with either of those devices, so I'm not sure I can give you the best answer. If the R3 only has a USB connection, then that's what you'll have to use. As far as I know, there's no such thing as a USB-to-coax/optical cable, so you'd have to have a USB-to-SPDIF converter (AKA, a DDC (digital-digital converter)) between the R3 and the Mojo. And I've never heard of a portable DDC. Anyway, that sounds way overly complicated for minimal (if any) gain.

Also, I just realized that the W80 has an extremely low impedance of 5 ohms. Balanced usually (always?) has 2x the output impedance of single-ended. Make sure the balanced output of your Hiby is 0.625 ohms or lower in order to get the best sound.

If it were me, I'd forgo the balanced connection altogether and just keep it simple with the original cable. I'm not a fan of balanced and consider it a gimmick.
Yeah, thanks for that. I was coming to that conclusion to just stick to the normal jack, sounds good as it is anyway, right!

May 23, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 9
Man, that is good you let me know, thank you!

I am dealing with another issue, you may have experience in. Most of the time I plan on coming out the the Mojo Gen 1, which I don't even think they have a balanced output...

I plan on stacking them, I have case that snaps them right on top of each other, So my output would be out of the Mojo Gen 1.

The question I have, obviously the two units (Mojo and R3 Raptor need to be connected together. So I am looking for a solution for a short cord that will join the two. Now, There could be some different options. I can go from USB C from the R3, BUT on the other end to the MOJO should I be looking to connect through which of their options, theirs COAX, mini USB or Optical. I don't know if I can find some of these combinations, but which would give me the best link together of those three? I would be looking for short cord because they will literally be sitting on top of each other. Thanks for all your advice.
You have a choice of USB-USB and "USB"-coax, in the latter case via this cable: https://store.hiby.com/collections/cable/products/hiby-type-c-to-3-5mm-gold-plating-coaxial-cable . It is an actual coax connection in the sense that there is an extra coaxial output embedded in extra pins of the USB port on the R3, that this cable connects to. I shall not comment on the relative merits of the USB vs coaxial connection.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back