Best $200 amp for Grado SR-225?
May 11, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:
I've been out of the hi-fi loop for a while now.What's the best value amp in this price range. If it's a USB/DAC amp as well that'd be a plus. Thanks in advance.

audioengine d1, hrt microstreamer, both under $200,
for features, the nod goes to the d1(less mobile though)
the hrt is awesome though, love the sound !

May 11, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 18
I just got the HRT Microstreamer and it makes my Grados sing! Dac/Amp combo too, so that'll be a benefit to you. Super clean unit, very smooth sound signature. Here's a review from Mike Mercer: http://positive-feedback.com/Issue65/microstreamer.htm  And some impressions from Steve Guttenberg: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57570860-47/a-budget-priced-audiophile-usb-digital-converter/ If you do wind up getting it, I recommend running it at 24bit/96k, even if your files are lower-quality than that. I found some sonic oddities running it at 16bit/44.1k 
confused_face.gif

May 11, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:
I just got the HRT Microstreamer and it makes my Grados sing! Dac/Amp combo too, so that'll be a benefit to you. Super clean unit, very smooth sound signature. Here's a review from Mike Mercer: http://positive-feedback.com/Issue65/microstreamer.htm And some impressions from Steve Guttenberg: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57570860-47/a-budget-priced-audiophile-usb-digital-converter/ If you do wind up getting it, I recommend running it at 24bit/96k, even if your files are lower-quality than that. I found some sonic oddities running it at 16bit/44.1k 
confused_face.gif

i had to play with the settings a bit myself , between windows and jriver, but once i got it, killer sound

May 12, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 18
I think the answer depends on your circumstances.

Are you going to carry the cans and amp plus source with you, or is this for home listening?

If the latter, let me suggest a Little Dot MK III. A friend of mine has the same model Grados as you, feeds her amp from either her iPod mini or a Pioneer 10" portable dvd player. (In doing research I found that the D/A chip in some of these mini-players are excellent). She has had the amp re-tubed and set up for vocals and classical music.

I've got a similar setup (Alessandros M1, LD III, portable dvd/vcd player or RP2100 AM/FM tuner) and the system allows me to hear nuances I never dreamed possible. On the "Moola Mantra" CD by Deva Premal I can hear details of the musician's fingers scraping on the sound board, plucking notes, and even found a "fumble" on one note that the musician caught and corrected mid-stream. On "Now We Are Six" by Steeleye Span, I can hear details in Maddy Pryor's voice that are new to me, despite listening to this album for more than 30 years.

May 12, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:
Glad I wasn't the only one! That aside, I agree: killer sound. 

i had emailed hrt, kevin halverson explained what was happening, gave a couple of options, i found the right settings pretty easily.
as for the little dot, i've never used one, but i do have a bravo hybrid amp, the grado's do love tubes , i may try a little dot one day
little dot doesn't have a dac/amp combo, but , the aune t1 is a dac/amp, with a tube dac, pre-outs, and multiple gain settings
its under $200, i've heard good things about it, it may be worth investigating
GCooper makes a good point about circumstances though
just desktop? portability? use with speakers ? etc
i don't need a unit to be portable, i would like to be able to use the unit to control my speakers though
a schiit magni/modi is a great set up for desktop/headphone use,great sound, very good warranty and support
with cables and shipping, a hair over $200, schiit has a great rep, just check threads here !
there are several ways to go

May 14, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:
i had emailed hrt, kevin halverson explained what was happening, gave a couple of options, i found the right settings pretty easily.
as for the little dot, i've never used one, but i do have a bravo hybrid amp, the grado's do love tubes , i may try a little dot one day
little dot doesn't have a dac/amp combo, but , the aune t1 is a dac/amp, with a tube dac, pre-outs, and multiple gain settings
its under $200, i've heard good things about it, it may be worth investigating
GCooper makes a good point about circumstances though
just desktop? portability? use with speakers ? etc
i don't need a unit to be portable, i would like to be able to use the unit to control my speakers though
a schiit magni/modi is a great set up for desktop/headphone use,great sound, very good warranty and support
with cables and shipping, a hair over $200, schiit has a great rep, just check threads here !
there are several ways to go

Yes they have: http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=818&sid=ac04eb2857d1fa1f34c8601d8d8e39c3

May 14, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #13 of 18
oops ! i forgot  about that one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back