Best <$20 IEM upgrade from JVC Marshmallows?
Oct 6, 2009 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

quadomatic

New Head-Fier
So, I have kramer modded JVC Marshmallows, but I'm staring to have problems with the dullness of the mids and highs.

I was thinking about KSC75s, but I would lose all isolation with them, so they're really not a viable route.

Can anyone recommend an <$20 IEM upgrade from the JVC marshmallows? Modding is fine

Oct 6, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #3 of 10
Right now I'm looking at Soundmagic PL21, Meelectronics AI-M9 and Lenntek Sonix.

I'm liking the PL21 since I've heard they have strong mids and good overall sound, while still maintaining pretty good bass.

Any other recommendations on the sonix or the AI-M9s? Anything I should know?

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #4 of 10
I don't know if anyone else here has owned all three, but it breaks down like this:

The Lenntek Sonix are the basshead's budget heaven - huge amount of bass, but still reasonably textured and present in the the mids and highs

The PL21 are the compromise pair - good, voluminous bass, a decent balance of mids and highs, very lively and fun all-around sound signature

The Ai-M9 are the detail freak's budget phone of choice. The balance and clarity are stellar for the price and the high-end extension is the best of the bunch. They do lose out to the others when fit, accessories, and build quality are taken into account though.

Oct 6, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #5 of 10
I will honestly tell you to save your money. For <$20 you can't find any IEM that is significantly better than the Marshmallows. If you want to hear for yourself what hi-fi really is about, get a real IEM like the UM1.

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will honestly tell you to save your money. For <$20 you can't find any IEM that is significantly better than the Marshmallows. If you want to hear for yourself what hi-fi really is about, get a real IEM like the UM1.

Have you tried any of the above three?

Oct 6, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if anyone else here has owned all three, but it breaks down like this:

The Lenntek Sonix are the basshead's budget heaven - huge amount of bass, but still reasonably textured and present in the the mids and highs

The PL21 are the compromise pair - good, voluminous bass, a decent balance of mids and highs, very lively and fun all-around sound signature

The Ai-M9 are the detail freak's budget phone of choice. The balance and clarity are stellar for the price and the high-end extension is the best of the bunch. They do lose out to the others when fit, accessories, and build quality are taken into account though.

I imagine the PL30 would also fall somewhere in that spectrum, and are most certainly in the same price bracket. Haven't heart them myself, but there are lots of threads describing their sound signature.

Oct 6, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #8 of 10
K, will add PL30

The PL30 are a mini-monitor. They are more neutral than the others, with bass that is more punchy than deep/big. The mids are more forward than the lows (at least compared to the PL21). Best accessory pack of the bunch, too.

Oct 6, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #9 of 10
I wanted the soundmagic pl21s at first, but I couldn't order because dealperfect is apparently having some ordering problems, so they're not available.

I went with the Meelectronics AI-M9. I like the idea of clarity and balance (since that's my major problem with my marshmallows). Plus, they're available, and its only $17.49 with free shipping (so about $5 cheaper than the soundmagic ones).

Hopefully I end up with a good pair though :p

Oct 6, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 10
Found these for $9.98 on clearance at my local Target. Advantage - you can use with your cellphone since it has a mic. Disadvantage - the colors are blue/green or orange/pink, so unless you are a girl, you might look a little odd.
icon10.gif

I bought these for my wife to use with her iPhone, and they actually sound pretty good even while I'm breaking them in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back