Best 20 GB MP3 Player
Jul 4, 2005 at 12:49 PM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
Is the zen touch more powerful than the zen micro? Or is it also a 7mw output

I'm pretty sure the output on both are almost the same, the Zen Touch's headphone amp might be a bit louder but the difference isn't really noticable.

Jul 4, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acidice
Do you even HAVE a karma? My Karma hasn't locked up ever and its a good half year old. If you've ever been to Riovolution.com there are alot of healthy karmas out there.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Rio_Karma_20...html?tag=uolst
After reading the consumer reviews ,I did not feel like investing in this device.Please browse thorugh all the reviews . You will get a common theme, i mentioned above.You may be one of the few survivors . I can not use my hard earned money for adventures.

Jul 4, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Otophonus
After reading the consumer reviews ,I did not feel like investing in this device.Please browse thorugh all the reviews . You will get a common theme, i mentioned above.You may be one of the few survivors . I can not use my hard earned money for adventures.

People feel like they have to say something when something goes wrong, like on the reviews of a product.

I 2nd the SOny HD3 or 5 recomendation. (I like the hd3 better)

Jul 4, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #19 of 40
I'm looking for an easy transfer... Drag and drop, no optimizing or converting files like Sony does.

Easy browsing either File Tree or ID3 tags work, I have them organized in both.

Can power future hi-fi devices. (Figure I would start with KSC75 and move up to ETY ER-4P).

20 GB. Portable and sounds good.

Jul 4, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acidice
Do you even HAVE a karma? My Karma hasn't locked up ever and its a good half year old. If you've ever been to Riovolution.com there are alot of healthy karmas out there.

Mine was busted straight out of the box! I couldn't be dealing with that kind of unreliability so i just got an iPod.

Jul 4, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Otophonus

It is amazing the amount of BS you can spread and you don't even own a Karma.

I am reading the iPod photo 60GB reviews...user rating 6.7...and some people bitch and moan about its battery life and sound quality issues. The point is that a) some people no matter what will always complain about their purchases b) no product is perfect and there are isolated incidents that companies may address at a later product generation and completely fix while the reviews stay forever... c) user reviews are generally low and it means very little

Enjoying my Karma, not a problem. Your loss.

Jul 4, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #22 of 40
I had reasonably reliability with my Karma. What caused me more problems was that of the sound. Frequent drive spin-ups in the middle of tracks, very odd high-frequency EQ (which seems to have been totally missed by everyone using it and claiming that the EQ enhances sound quality... I found that rather interesting) at times, the fact that the bundled integrated software did a very poor job of ripping, etc.

It has pretty good sound quality and I really like the way it works in general, but I'd be hard pressed to call it an 'audiophile' player for various reasons. Despite that its' still my second favourite player.

Jul 4, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
It has pretty good sound quality and I really like the way it works in general, but I'd be hard pressed to call it an 'audiophile' player for various reasons. Despite that its' still my second favourite player.

Whats your first?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #24 of 40
Well, all portable device has its good and evil. You just have to get the ones that suits you the most.

I will give you the reason I pick iPod.

GUI and ease of use
Very freaking simple GUI, the click wheel is just genius.

Awesome Sound Quality
Its sound quality can be the best if get a pocketdock / sik ram din + amp. When people talk about sound quality, they usually refer to the sound quality from the headphone Jack, but they forgot with iPod you can get the sound output from the bottom connector as well, and the sound from it is terrific.

Accessory
Just look around how many accessory is available for iPod.

Evil Stuff about iPod

Sound Quality
the sound from the lineout Jack has problem work with low impedence headphones. For example, the very famous bass roll off problem. Also, with any iPod Photo, there is distortion on the music and it is quite noticeble.

None-replaceble Battery
This is just pure evil. means I will have to replace my ipod after few years of use.

Tight integration with iTune Music store
LOL. I want to buy songs from napster, but I am screwed because iPod only works with iTune music store period.

Therefore, as you can see, there is no best mp3 player yet. You have to pick the one that suits you the most.

As a final comments, if all you care is sound quality, get ipod because only with iPod you can get the best sound quality, but you have to use pocketdock / sik ram din + amp.

Its sound quality is not that good through phone jack.

Jul 5, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #26 of 40
i am in love with my gmini400. i think its the nintendo thing...
but seriously, i sell mp3 players for a living. the iriver h320 has yet to be beaten. the rio karma comes in at a (very) close second, followed by the creative nomad zen 2.0. the iriver h120 rocks also. x5 is coolness

Jul 5, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #27 of 40
Another vote for the h320 here as long as tone control is set at normal! the only portable i've owned that would run close to my h320 is the creative njb3 which is getting a little long in the tooth now.

Jul 6, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #28 of 40
I'm still waiting to see some meaningful SQ reviews on the new Toshiba Gigabeat F-series devices. I think they look pretty sweet & the color screen is gorgeous...the only question is "how's the sound"?

I don't wanna be the first guy on the head-fi block to try one of these... where's bangraman when you need him?
eggosmile.gif

Peace,

Graz

Jul 6, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT
It is amazing the amount of BS you can spread and you don't even own a Karma.

I am reading the iPod photo 60GB reviews...user rating 6.7...and some people bitch and moan about its battery life and sound quality issues. The point is that a) some people no matter what will always complain about their purchases b) no product is perfect and there are isolated incidents that companies may address at a later product generation and completely fix while the reviews stay forever... c) user reviews are generally low and it means very little

Enjoying my Karma, not a problem. Your loss.

What is your problem ?
Did you even go to the website i mentioned above . Not to start a war here . Read 1st 8 or so reviews on the first page .About 60 plus percent are complains about hardware not functioning well. Some are nice reviews with people who have owned them for months .
You should be happy your unit is working well. it is not about battery life ,it is with the device not working .
At least i will not buy something that has hardware issues lot of people mention consistently . BTW even this thread has a few .Honestly ,good detailed consumer reviews are what i read before buying any elecctronic Gadget . Why would soemone write a negative review , unless they are experiencing problems with the gadget in question.
I am glad you are happy with the device and should post a positive review on Cnet ,describing how great Rio karma is .

Jul 6, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #30 of 40
I had a Rio Karma for about one year. In that time I had a few lockups requiring a hard reset with a paperclip. It didn't really bother, nor worry me all that much. I never found any glitches with the GUI or any other feature of the Karma. Maybe the Karma had a higher than average HD failure rate, but people are more likely to write a negative review from a negative experience than write a positive review from a positive experience. I read every bad and good review written about the Karma before I bought it, but I found it to be the best option at the time. My Karma's scroll wheel broke (a known weak spot), after I took it on a rim to rim hike in the grand canyon. I replaced the Karma with an iRiver H320 and I am content with it, however, I really prefer the Karma's ability to play music extremely well over the H320's extra-features.

I think pound for pound (remember the Karma is quite old) the Karma is the best 20GB player soley for playing music well. I really liked the Karma's ability to generate playlists, add/remove/move songs to the current playlist, and make good mixes of my music with the Rio DJ smart list generation.

I would really like to see a player built as well as the X5 take on the STELLAR music function of the Karma. I definately will buy a DAP from the company that can accomplish that.

If someone could stick the guts in of a Karma (excluding the HD) into an iPod, and make it function exactly like the Karma did, that would be my dream DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back