Best 2/2.1 speakers under $500?
Apr 10, 2010 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

digitor

New Head-Fier
Hi guys

any suggestions for 2/2.1 speaker setup to listen to ELECTRONIC music under $500? Im currently using XONAR ESSENCE STX soundcard.

Thanks in anticipation.

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 31
I use the Essence STX with KRK Rokit 6 G2 studio monitors. I'm not sure what type of sound you are looking for, but these are very clear and detailed, even at high volumes, without losing any resolution. ( I don't listen to electronic, but just about everything else). They are much better than other 2.1 computer speakers you could find. I bought them on sale for $150 each, but they are $200 now, though I'm sure you can find them cheaper if you look around...

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 31
I have Blue Sky International Media Desk 2.1; I love them. I saw a special documentary on Dolby Labs and saw them using the same speakers! I figured, if it's good enough for Dolby, it's good enough for me =)

Apr 11, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingabout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love this Focal XS Satellite Speakers very much though it is a little expensive..
It looks really cool.

img of it.
41%2Ba0Q1SkYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

^ looks pretty groovy ,however, in the past Ive primarily used 2.1 systems. Wanna know what the hype is all about with studio monitors/ bookshelves such as Audioengines, M Audio, John Blue etc..

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 31
I think for $500 you could go with a receiver/amp and set of bookshelf speakers then add a subwoofer at a later date. You have many options as you have a reasonable budget to start out with.

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think for $500 you could go with a receiver/amp and set of bookshelf speakers then add a subwoofer at a later date. You have many options as you have a reasonable budget to start out with.

The problem with that is bookshelf speakers aren't normally considered near field speakers. I'm sure if you're careful you can find something, but ultimately you need a speaker designed for 2-3' listen distance.

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #8 of 31
I would go with a receive/amp + passive speaker setup myself. Focus on the receiver + bookshelves and get a sub at a later date.

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #9 of 31
audioengine a5, swan M2000MKIII

I wouldnt go with a receiver, because its just one more thing to turn on and fool around with.

Apr 11, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by 43st /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with that is bookshelf speakers aren't normally considered near field speakers. I'm sure if you're careful you can find something, but ultimately you need a speaker designed for 2-3' listen distance.

Well that depends on what you buy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
audioengine a5, swan M2000MKIII

I wouldnt go with a receiver, because its just one more thing to turn on and fool around with.

Receivers usually allow many different connection options allowing the user to decide the best way to connect the gear. You can usually find reasonble sounding surround units (new or used) for a decent prices which also allows for future upgrades such as sub woofer and rear and side channels.
However, the OP needs to consider what he needs as perhaps a discrete amplifer may be better in this case. You can always go with active speakers or monitors, but then you are limited to that built in amplifer.

Apr 12, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #13 of 31
I just went to guitar center yesterday and I listened to all the their speakers under 400 and the two nicest sounding ones were the mackies mr5 and a JBL set which I cant remember the model name , I also tried some krks rockits once again I forgot the exact model they were like 500 and those sounded awesome too.

Apr 12, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #14 of 31
^thanks a lot for your feedback guys. Based on various reviews it seems like you cant go wrong with Audioengines A5 (with Sub out), its a pity though as I cant go and listen to em around where I live in Sydney. I think there is only one store (based in godforsaken Melbourne) which ships it throughout Australia
confused_face_2.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #15 of 31
Hey digitor, before you go and get the A5's, consider the Aktimate Mini's! They are made in Australia and are a similar sort of setup to the A5's. While I couldn't find many direct comparisons between the two, I got a pair and I'm ecstatic with them. The reviews for them are as overwhelmingly positive. You can audition them at a store in the city, Mini Hi Fi Systems | Home Stereo Systems - Sydney, Australia | The Mini Hifi Room. (Tell Charles Lachlan referred you
biggrin.gif
)

As for the A5's they can be listened to and purchased at a Next Byte store in Rushcutter's bay. I never got a chance to actually go and see them though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back