Best 2.0 Speakers for small room-- Under $50?
Nov 15, 2012 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

gigispeed1332

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a nice pair of 2.0 speakers. I can't have anything really big on the bass since I am right above people and can't make much noise. I am looking for a solid pair of 2.0 speakers that I can use occasionally (as I have ATH-M50's I use most of the time) when I am looking to use speakers.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 11
$50 is a bit of a squeeze.
Polk Audio TL1 for < $60
You can get M-Audio Studiophile for under 100.
You can also try looking at the second hand market, ebay or amazon.

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #4 of 11
Dayton B652
Lepai TA2020

This is by the far the greatest combination for any 2.0 speakers. I've been researching speakers over the past couple days and completely forgot about the mini T amp! Thanks for posting.
This set will produce infinitely superior sound than any basic 2.0 set with the amp included, and is far more aesthetically pleasing in my opinion. You also have 2 input sources, expanding potential. I'm priced out on Amazon at $64.89 for the pair.

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Sorry for my amateur question, but what else would you need to setup the Daytons to a Computer since they don't have traditional computer plug ins? 

Use regular speaker wire to connect the Daytons to the Lepai, then the Lepai will accept either 3.5mm or RCA coming from your computer. 

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Use regular speaker wire to connect the Daytons to the Lepai, then the Lepai will accept either 3.5mm or RCA coming from your computer. 

That will work fine, but in the future I suggest an external DAC to enter this chain. It will provide a further enhancement in sound.

Destroysall.

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
I should have mentioned that I am in Canada--- so that may limit my options 

Perhaps Lepai TA2020 off ebay with free ship
Used speakers in a local shop or hifi/audiophile online forums
L3000.gif

Nov 18, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #10 of 11

That will work fine, but in the future I suggest an external DAC to enter this chain. It will provide a further enhancement in sound.

Destroysall.

Where would you setup the DAC in the chain? And why would this improve sound? And what small, inexpensive DAC would you recommend? I'm new to all this quasi-enthusiast level audio engagement as well. Thanks!

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Where would you setup the DAC in the chain? And why would this improve sound? And what small, inexpensive DAC would you recommend? I'm new to all this quasi-enthusiast level audio engagement as well. Thanks!

Computer/laptop/compatible tablet or smartphone > USB Cable > USB DAC > Analog interconnect* > Amp > Speaker Cable > Speaker

Here's my workstation rig at my temporary table right now: Acer laptop > USB Cable > Ibasso D-Zero USB DAC > stereo 3.5mm to 2xRCA cable from DAC lineout > Swans D1080MkII 08 active speakers. If you'll be using something like the D-Zero with the Dayton speakers and T-amps, you can use it also as a portable amp or DAC-Amp if you have the right source that can work with it.

Laptop is just below that.

*Depending on what's on the DAC and Amp, you might need to use: stereo 3.5mm to 2xRCA ; or stereo 3.5mm to stereo 3.5mm ; or 2xRCA to 2xRCA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back