Best $150 headphones for classical and jazz
Apr 22, 2012 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Bogan

New Head-Fier
I realize there's another thread for suggested headphones but I thought I'd take a direct approach and ask the choir their recommendations for a good set of headphones costing in the neighborhood of $150. I primarily listen to classical and jazz with a bit of classic rock thrown in. I'd like to find something that would have enough resolution and sound stage along with decent comfort for my size 8-5/8 head. I know the $150 price range is kinda lame but that's what I have to work with until the IRS decides to release my tax return, and I have no idea when that might be.

Thanks for your time.

Bogan-

Apr 23, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #4 of 11
You should consider the Fischer Audio FA-011s as well. I am thoroughly enjoying my pair, and I find they do very well with classical when paired with a tube amp. They're still pretty decent unamped though.

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Interesting headphones. Have you heard these? They seem a bit new to be reviewed.

I own the A900X which are my favorite full sized headphones. Those are the cheaper siblings..Audio Techincas are very versatile headphones and will play awesomely for your music choice..While not as refined as my A900X. I am willing to bet those will be one of the best cans for your cash for your music. I also own the older AD700 which are open.. But I would get those A700X as they are newer and actually has bass for your jazz. Fairly wide stage for classical and detail is solid on them. You can read up older reviews of the A700 which will give you a good idea of how those will sound.. These A700X are revisions and improves on the older A700 sound..

Yes they are fairly new but..Like I mentioned they will have many similarities to my A900X which are astounding for your music.  The Fischers I own as well. Those are nice cans but you have to wait a month to get your headphones.. Try a A700X form buy.com and if you don't like them you can return them within a month and put in your order of  a Fischer and start the wait process.

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #7 of 11
Sorry never heard the AD900. I am familiar with their house sound so I can guess.. The A900X is a closed can so lesser stage on them so a bit more intimate sounding.. But for closed cans the stage is very good on them.  The A900X the improvements that I read upon from the older A900 was mostly in the bass department. The bass is a bit boosted from neutral and has clear authority for even hip hop tracks which I prefer so again very versatile.. But the crazy clean extended highs and liquid mids on them are heavenly..

I pretty much gave my D2000 to my father after purchasing the A900X.. The one complaint from the older A900 was the bass end and AT has seemed to fixed this issue on the A900X. For me if bass is not there that is a 1/3rd of my sound that is missing so that is important to me.. I think open cans are awesome for classical but I actually prefer closed cans for Jazz..My cans sound right for everything actually. Gotta love AT detail.

The great news is I am seeing the prices for the A900X hovering at around $240 which makes them a great value for the sound. I am curious for someone to try out one of these A700X actually. I bet they will sound very similar to my A900X. Just a guess.

Apr 23, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
Sorry never heard the AD900. I am familiar with their house sound so I can guess.. The A900X is a closed can so lesser stage on them so a bit more intimate sounding.. But for closed cans the stage is very good on them.  The A900X the improvements that I read upon from the older A900 was mostly in the bass department. The bass is a bit boosted from neutral and has clear authority for even hip hop tracks which I prefer so again very versatile.. But the crazy clean extended highs and liquid mids on them are heavenly..

Alright! thanks. 

Apr 24, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #9 of 11
If your ok going used look in the FS section and grab a pair of SRH-940 absolutely exquisite for Jazz and classical. They will be slightly more than you budget but the little extra will be worth it.

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #10 of 11
You could try to find a NOS Sennheiser HD590. I love those for jazz, even more than the HD600. 

EDIT: I know these are not the easiest to find since they are discontuined, but they're definitely worth investigating. :) If you want a new headphone that's easier to get, try the Brainwavz HM5. I like them for a lot of genres, jazz and rock among them. They're closed though, so don't have the widest soundstage. They make up for it in neutrality and build though. :) Great cans. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back