Best 100$ Headphones
Mar 26, 2015 at 9:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SovietJelly

New Head-Fier
Hi
I can buy five headphones for 100$ or less. Which are the best? I have a large head so small headphones aren't good. My options are:
Audio Technica ATH M40x- 99$
JBL Synchros E30- 58$ (Are these small?)
JBL Synchros S300- 120$
Sennheiser Momentum On Ear- 100$
Sennheiser HD 558- 104$

Or any other 100$ headphones with a detachable cable. If you have suggestions please post them.
All prices are Amazon prices.
Thanks!

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 9
There is no "best" in audio. We all hear differently and we all have personal preferences in the type of sound we like.

What kind of music do you listen to? What will you be connecting these headphones to - your PC or a phone/portable device? Do you like neutral accurate sound, or pounding bass or sizzling highs? What headphones have you previously owned or heard, and which did you like best?

Mar 26, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for replying.
I've previously owned the JBL J55i headphones, which I think have boosted bass. I liked their sound. However, I think I prefer neutral sound which doesn't sacrifice anything, as I listen to many genres of music. Some Beatles, some modern songs, some instrumental... The only "mainstream" genre I barely listen to is EDM and Dubstep. My J55s were apparently too small for my head and their headband cracked after a few months.
I use my headphones with both my PC and Moblie Devices (iPad), but I don't think I'll take my headphones out for a walk. For that I have my current headphones the Skullcandy JIBS earbuds, which I heard have bad sound in all aspects.

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for replying.
I've previously owned the JBL J55i headphones, which I think have boosted bass. I liked their sound. However, I think I prefer neutral sound which doesn't sacrifice anything, as I listen to many genres of music. Some Beatles, some modern songs, some instrumental... The only "mainstream" genre I barely listen to is EDM and Dubstep. My J55s were apparently too small for my head and their headband cracked after a few months.
I use my headphones with both my PC and Moblie Devices (iPad), but I don't think I'll take my headphones out for a walk. For that I have my current headphones the Skullcandy JIBS earbuds, which I heard have bad sound in all aspects.

The new m6 pro is good for $50 check it out

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #6 of 9
+1 vote for the 558... I will almost always prefer an open headphone over a closed one.

Listening to a www stream on my modded set as I type, unamped straight out of an older gen  Samsung Netbook.  Great headphone for the price IMHO.  It can also be modded up to IMHO further increase its $$ value.

You should also consider the older HD595/555 they all use the same 50 ohm driver as the 558/598, its the earcup enclosure tuning that differentiates them all.  They are all more similar than different... IMHO.

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #8 of 9
  Thanks. How bad is the sound leak on the 558s? if there is someone in the near room (around 3 meters away) will they hear the sound?

I am a whisper quiet music listener, just barely loud enough to hear over the air conditioning vents at work/home... so for me its no problem, even in a near-silent library.  But I am not in the majority here.  If you use music to drown out your surroundings then definitely it will disturb others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back