Best $0-500 dac for gaming?
Feb 20, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ the "no 3D CMSS over S/PDIF", I have EAX Effects and CMSS-3D (and CMSS Headphone and Crystalizer and SVM), just to prove I could) running via S/PDIF into my Technics SH-AC500D passing along to my Yamaha receiver and NS-777 towers, from an X-Fi Prelude 7.1, you owe me for listening to how horrible this sounds just to make a point
frown.gif

I'll apologize later, but can you check that 3D CMSS on/off actually makes a difference, I was under the impression that it does not get passed.

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll apologize later, but can you check that 3D CMSS on/off actually makes a difference, I was under the impression that it does not get passed.

yes it does, and sounds pretty horrible to boot, any way you'd like me to somehow show this with data? (I have no idea how to actually show the shift, other than to tell you I can hear it, and it sounds as horrible as ever)

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #18 of 23
You do get dolby encoding for Creatives X-fi cards as well though you have to pay 5$ or what it was for that upgrade
tongue.gif

You don´t get dolby headphone though that was a bit lame so it´s more if you have home theater speakers you need it. For movies it´s no problem since many software dvd players has that feature.

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #19 of 23
Keep your sound card and get an inexpensive 5.1 AV receiver and some satillites and a sub. Output optical to your receiver and analog as well and make sure your sub has speaker level pass through for your mains. Gaming bliss.

Newegg.com - ONKYO TXSR506B Black 7.1 Channel Receiver
Newegg.com - Polk Audio RM6750 Black 5.1CH Home Theater Speaker System

500 with shipping and your games will sound great.

Better yet.

Onkyo TX-SR304B 5.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver - Black in Stereo and Surround Sound Receivers at JR.com
Harman Kardon HKTS 18 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker System in Home Theater Speaker Kits at JR.com

Either way I would want the HK speakers, find the manual and look at the options on the rear of the sub, its a 10 incher too.
biggrin.gif

Note: I say to use the speaker level outputs (Wont have too on the HK's) because lots of your games have 5 channel audio not 5.1.

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep your sound card and get an inexpensive 5.1 AV receiver and some satillites and a sub. Output optical to your receiver and analog as well and make sure your sub has speaker level pass through for your mains. Gaming bliss.

Newegg.com - ONKYO TXSR506B Black 7.1 Channel Receiver
Newegg.com - Polk Audio RM6750 Black 5.1CH Home Theater Speaker System

500 with shipping and your games will sound great.

Better yet.

Onkyo TX-SR304B 5.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver - Black in Stereo and Surround Sound Receivers at JR.com
Harman Kardon HKTS 18 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker System in Home Theater Speaker Kits at JR.com

Either way I would want the HK speakers, find the manual and look at the options on the rear of the sub, its a 10 incher too.
biggrin.gif

Note: I say to use the speaker level outputs (Wont have too on the HK's) because lots of your games have 5 channel audio not 5.1.

shouldn't a good receiver, if speaker size is set to "small" and there is a crossover setup, pass LF to the sub, regardless of 5 channel or 5.1? (or is this yet another "missing feature", just like proper HDMI compliance, and other "luxury" items?)

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #21 of 23
lol

I just ordered the tSc pc 5.1 system for the x-fi. It is small enough to place in a very tidy space and do the job ok for gaming and the occasional movie I watch on the pc.

I will build a system around my headphones, iMod, and perhaps use my 550s and a sub eventually. For now, I give up on the big guys. They are in the closet and up for sale or trade now. My room is just too small.

I think I will get the new 24" BenQ for my monitor and just use the 360, pc and maybe get a ps3.

Feb 23, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #22 of 23
I would get a Xonar Essence STX. If you have a fast processor (like any serious gamer), that's it.
The sound quality is a big step up from the x-fis.

Feb 23, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Telstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would get a Xonar Essence STX. If you have a fast processor (like any serious gamer), that's it.
The sound quality is a big step up from the x-fis.

based on what? you're like the fourth person today who's gone on this whole "oh its a huge step up from x-fi, x-fi is crap if you have ears" bender, with no proof or objective commentary

@spaceman: if the goal is the "ultimate" monitor, might I suggest the Gateway XHD3000 (probably over the top in price, but from the pic of your sitting area, it'll physically fit, and its oh so nice with gaming (console or PC (I personaly use it with my PS1 (rockin Spyro and Oddworld at all hours!) and of course desktop PC (Fallout 3 and Bioshock, Doom 3 can give me nightmares again, etc))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back