Besides The SR-71, Best All Around Portable Amp
Jul 20, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #181 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
GoRedWings - The K340's are arguably harder to drive than the K1000, but for different reasons. It is hard to say for sure which one is worse. The Raptor did a fine job of driving the K340's, but the Dynahi accomplished the feat more effortlessly. I can't say much about the hornet as I have not heard it.

philodox, that is interesting in that I've found that the Raptor is better able to drive everything I've thrown at compared to the Dynahi SA I had. I was surprised by the result but there was no question in my mind. I've never tried the 340 so perhaps that is the exception.

Jul 20, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #182 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I personally think that it is overenthusiastic people making uniformed or too quickly reached conclusions for the most part.
tongue.gif

I think that the Raptor is very well designed and it is one of my favourite amps. If the Hornet can truely hold a flame to it at that size it will be a killer portable amp.
wink.gif
I've read this many times and I'm sure you can find a few references if you look around. The 'ray samuels switchbox' tests are famous on here.
biggrin.gif

I'm just overenthusiastic about it because the Hornet has all the features I'm looking for in a portable amp -- namely size, sound, rechargeability, and gain switch (in order of decreasing importance).

And I'm talking about personal comparisons between the SR-71, XP-7, and HR-2 from people who have personally owned and directly compared these amps from the comfort of their own homes over a large time span.

Jul 20, 2005 at 2:54 PM Post #183 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
philodox, that is interesting in that I've found that the Raptor is better able to drive everything I've thrown at compared to the Dynahi SA I had. I was surprised by the result but there was no question in my mind. I've never tried the 340 so perhaps that is the exception.

Well, like I said, the K340/K1000 are harder to drive for different reasons. From my limited understanding of electronics, the K1000's are current hungry and the K340's are voltage hungry. [correct me if I am wrong here]

In addition the K340, with their hybrid design, may present a difficult load for reasons that we don't fully understand. Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
I'm just overenthusiastic about it because the Hornet has all the features I'm looking for in a portable amp -- namely size, sound, rechargeability, and gain switch (in order of decreasing importance).

I understand where you are coming from, and neither you nor Tyrion were meant to be included in my generalization.
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
And I'm talking about personal comparisons between the SR-71, XP-7, and HR-2 from people who have personally owned and directly compared these amps from the comfort of their own homes over a large time span.

So am I.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hell, I've heard Ray say that they sound almost identical.
tongue.gif

Jul 21, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #184 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion

Wow that is quite a feat for the Raptor. The Gilmore designed Dynahi kicks out something stupid like 13 watts or something which is overkill considering it is used for driving headphones. Does the Raptor kick out more?

I got to admit though for pure drive my Melos is better than my Raptor.

Jul 21, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #185 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Wow that is quite a feat for the Raptor. The Gilmore designed Dynahi kicks out something stupid like 13 watts or something which is overkill considering it is used for driving headphones. Does the Raptor kick out more?

I think the DynaHi kicks out considerably more than that at full out. Given the tubes used, I don't think the Raptor is anywhere near there...

Jul 21, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #186 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
I think the DynaHi kicks out considerably more than that at full out. Given the tubes used, I don't think the Raptor is anywhere near there...

I couldn't comment on a dynahi as I have never heard one. But the Raptor doesn't sound like it comes close to my melos in drive and attack. At 9'oclock on my melos with ps-1+flats I am puck happy. Spin some leftfield and I am a
basshead.gif
blink.gif

With the Raptor it never approaches these levels. It just doesn't have the slam of the Melos.

Jul 21, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #187 of 207
Quote:

But the Raptor doesn't sound like it comes close to my melos in drive and attack.

But controlling the headphone and drive and attack are not necessarily the same thing, at least the way I view the concepts. For instance, ignoring the Gilmroe Balanced ref, the amp that best controls the bottom end of my W2002s is the Grace 901 but it isn't the one with the most drive and attack with them which would probably be the Gilmore V2-SE.

Jul 21, 2005 at 11:27 AM Post #188 of 207
Quote:

I couldn't comment on a dynahi as I have never heard one. But the Raptor doesn't sound like it comes close to my melos in drive and attack. At 9'oclock on my melos with ps-1+flats I am puck happy. Spin some leftfield and I am a
basshead.gif
blink.gif

With the Raptor it never approaches these levels. It just doesn't have the slam of the Melos.

I don't have a Melos, nor have I heard one, but it must have some serious slam if it beats the Raptor. I guess that is one of the things it is none for. Didn't you have some changes to your Raptor?

Maybe it's an issue with gain on the two amps, I don't know. But with the Dynahi on high gain as compared to the Raptor, it is no problem to get a decent amount of volume with the Raptor but is with the Dynahi. I don't understand the electronics, I just know what I hear. The Raptor is efortless with the K1000. My the volume level is at about 10 or 11 compared to 8:30 to 9 with my 600's. More than enough slam for me with the HD-600. I am pretty sure that agile_one was the one who first discussed the issue of the Raptor and K1000. He was surprised at how nice they sound together.

Jul 21, 2005 at 12:07 PM Post #189 of 207
The dynahi can put out 20 volts rms into any load greater than
8 ohms. For a 32 ohm load that would be 12.5 watts. Way over
the ratings of any headphone i know of.

There are no published specifications of any kind for the raptor.
Why is that?

Jul 21, 2005 at 1:36 PM Post #190 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
The dynahi can put out 20 volts rms into any load greater than
8 ohms. For a 32 ohm load that would be 12.5 watts. Way over
the ratings of any headphone i know of.

There are no published specifications of any kind for the raptor.
Why is that?

Is it your intention to be helpful or to start a fight about the Raptor? We were having a civil discussion. Your comment "Why is that?" suggest to me that your intention is something other than just being helpful. It would be nice if this discussion remained civil and did not digress to amp bashing.

As I explained I know nothing about the engineering aspects relative to amps. I am merely commenting on my experience. I don't know if the reason I had the experience I had was do to the particular amp. Perhaps the gain wasn't set at a level to give me the volume I was looking for or whether there was some other factor. So you can talk all the numbers you want, it doesn't change my experience. I wasn't bashing the Dynahi. I liked the Dynahi and it is being enjoyed by a friend and fellow headfier.

Jul 21, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #191 of 207
Not bashing in any way. But it is real hard to compare real numbers
to no information. For example the raptor can probably put out
50 volts rms into an extremely high impedance load. What is the
rated power specification for 32 ohms. What is the rated power
specification for 300 ohms.

Jul 21, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #192 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
Not bashing in any way.

You said in your post that is there were no published numbers. I would have understood if you left it at that. However, you added the "Why is that?" comment which led me to conclude your intentions weren't pure, imo.

Jul 21, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #194 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by sft
the dynahi's gain setting is not for K1000 even at "high" position because i dont' know it will be taken to drive K1000.

Thank you. That is what I suspected. A simple answer to a simple question.

Jul 21, 2005 at 2:11 PM Post #195 of 207
I thought this thread was asking about 'Portable Amps'?
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back