Beresford TC-7520 DAC
Jun 26, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #16 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This certainly seems like a shill. Perhaps Mr. Beresford has changed his IP by some method? They really need to do a MAC block on this guy. Too bad this prick makes such an enjoyable DAC, it would be a lot easier to hate him.

You just get a new network card and you're set.

Jun 26, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #17 of 73
@linuxworks, I assume you have problems with understanding how something like this might sound better than a tube output $1000 DAC? Sad but true and requires reconsideration of some "holy Grails" of DIY forums - separate grounds, choke inductors (cough!) and digital input transformers. It's not the matter of just putting something inside, it's more of the matter how to things put inside make working it's best. Looking into and listening to some hi-end (?) devices I just don't hear all that jewelery working for the final result. The Beresford DACs lough out loud at those who apply BG;s, V-Caps, HDAMs, gold pin sockets, silver wires and other snake oil treated stuff. This is good something like this exists on the market and works like a censor for those requesting high price margin for parts, not music going outside. The TC-7520 is very good, it's not perfect, it's no hi-end, but it's a serious PITA for the up to $1000 competition.

Jun 26, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #18 of 73
there is a serious lack of quality design in this dac. I noticed that right off by looking at the pics.

it may work - Im sure it does work - but its NOT worthy of any praise. at all. not by its design and cheap parts.

again, its a cd player dac in the $100 range, no more and no less. its dac chip is nothing special and the DIY designs walk all over this in terms of build quality, parts quality and actual DESIGN intelligence.

look at the unbuffered op amp final phones drive circuit. its a joke.

I picked this apart to show the fanboys that they're krooning about something QUITE ordinary.

I know the 'dac of the month' syndrome is strong on this forum but the B fanboys are getting a bit out of hand, don't you think?

Jun 26, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #20 of 73
Hello all
I have no connection with Stan Beresford, we are thousands of miles apart, different parts of the world.
I am only saying I like the TC-7520, I don't want to get into negative discussions about him or anybody else.
Sad same people have way tooooo big mouths, and nothing better to do, but criticize!

Jun 26, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #21 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there is a serious lack of quality design in this dac. I noticed that right off by looking at the pics.

Many people don't care for the interior, just for the result. You seem to know the result not even listening to the device.
Quote:

it may work - Im sure it does work - but its NOT worthy of any praise. at all. not by its design and cheap parts.

In its price range it's worth praise because of the sound quality.
Quote:

again, its a cd player dac in the $100 range, no more and no less. its dac chip is nothing special and the DIY designs walk all over this in terms of build quality, parts quality and actual DESIGN intelligence.

And? Many DVD players use top grade PCM1794, PCM1798 and others from the family. Same for the sound cards. Are they up to par with the Beresford TC-7520? Not at all. The bottleneck of most audio is power supply and analog stage - parts and architecture. It's nowhere the DAC chip is the bottleneck. Just look at the specs - far beyond what's achievable after conversion.
Quote:

look at the unbuffered op amp final phones drive circuit. its a joke.

I can tell you even a better joke - I listened to two pairs of the Grado RS1 connected via the jack splitter in parallel. Disconnecting one of them made hardly any sound improvement. The overall impression was very good. I haven't verified what's the exact headphone out circuit as I didn't care.
Quote:

I picked this apart to show the fanboys that they're krooning about something QUITE ordinary.

Could you provide us with some nicknames?
Quote:

I know the 'dac of the month' syndrome is strong on this forum but the B fanboys are getting a bit out of hand, don't you think?

I rather realized the "bad Stanley" syndrome and thoughtless efforts to prevent people from acquiring a cheap and good DAC with nice features. The competition is lacking USB, headphone out, second line out or... all of them.

Jun 26, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #22 of 73
Majkel,

Thanks, I think you understand my points.
Same of us less fortunate European poor people, still have the right to enjoy music, with the very little funds we have.

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #23 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I rather realized "bad Stanley" syndrome and thoughtless efforts to prevent people from acquiring a cheap and good DAC with nice features. The competition is lacking USB, headphone out, second line out or... all of them.

the phones out is a cmoy (it seems. no?). so I ignore that. any DIY design will walk all over this. a cheap pimeta (not to imply its cheap!) will be tons better and will have a proven design.

I'm not convinced the usb conversion is anything special that another pcm27xx chip can't also do. some people see magic when its 'velcro integrated' (as this one is, pretty much a modified baseboard with a daughter card riser on top as a media converter, essentially). this can be accomplished via any usb/spdif converter, such as the turtle beach micro, in the $30 range (it offers analog and opto-out and uses a cmedia chip which works as well as any of them). you can find the BB pcm chip versions also for $50 range and they are also in DIY land as well, of course.

this unit does not even have a wireless IR remote, and so its not even feature rich.

the lack of attention to detail on the power supply design (where are the multiple regs? I don't see them) also means this was a budget dac.

again, for $105, its fine. hard to complain about a utilitarian dac for a c-note.

but to buy from this guy who claims he makes them, then doubles the price and spams forums, that's just absurd.

it might fly on other forums, but around here he's banned and for MANY good reasons. I'm just listing some tech deficiencies that I can see right offhand, even with blurry photos.

I don't have to listen. I'm not spending a dime on this guy's (quote and unquote) junk. stuff I build (a non-pro builder with far less resources than a real company would have) is tons better and that should just NOT be, for a commercial company. supposedly a commercial company.

he doesn't even use ground-planing on the boards. sheesh. gimme a break, I know you know this stuff magical-guy
wink.gif
I can't see why you'd want to defend this POS.

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #24 of 73
Fanboy linux? All I said is I like the sound that is coming from TC-7520 more than I like it from 0404usb. No fanboys here just people who enjoy this unit, a lot.
DacMagic is a 300€ unit and it competes with 1000€ units. My point is it could look like a poor design or might be using poor components but that doesn't mean it will sound bad and we, the 7520 owners are the perfect example of that- we enjoy this unit.

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #25 of 73
.Sup
I couldn't agree more!
We still like it.
The point about all this is: listen to music and enjoy it!
Don't have to spend €€€€€€€€ to enjoy our hobby!

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #26 of 73
I built quite a bunch of electronics, not only audio. This is why I lough at judging the result by looking at the pictures. I saw and heard several ridiculous surprises in audio, crushing the myths. Handbook design does not provide decent sound by itself. It's one of the means, to some level not the most important. I graduated MSc in electronics, I know very well what are the rules, and from my point of view, it is still possible to enjoy music from such a device like the TC-7520. It's not because I'm a fan, I just didn't hear something competitive at the price. Maybe there are some options but it's hard to find them. OK, there is a manufacturer which has been smartly shilled here for months but I won't mention it. Lots of threads about them arised in the last time, some F/S ads appeared recently as well.

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #27 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fanboy linux? All I said is I like the sound that is coming from TC-7520 more than I like it from 0404usb. No fanboys here just people who enjoy this unit, a lot.

and shill it TO DEATH, too.

yawn.

super yawn, in fact. can't think of a more boring dac that I've seen 'hyped' so much.

get a noodle dac and save your money. it will be at least as good and doesn't pretend to be more than it is.

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #28 of 73
lol give it a rest guys. i have debated with linuxworks before. but he seems to be like a very stubborn mad scientist that only likes things that can be proved by science. but in reality, not everything is scientifically proven.

there seems to be 2 groups of people in this forum: audiophiles and electronic engineers. most belong in either or in both. linuxworks is clearly not an audiophile.

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #29 of 73
Well said SemiAudiophile,

I started the thread out of curiosity, and is becoming ridiculous now!

Jun 26, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #30 of 73
I wouldn't consider buying one just because the designer/marketer is an unethical shill. There's no shortage of modestly priced quality hardware that's isn't produced by a scumbag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back