Beresford TC-7510 does it again!!!
Jan 14, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #16 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by doomlordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have this issue, while the beresford scores very well the dacmagic is clearly a more versatile and overall a better dac for just £70 more.

You do have to say fair play to Beresford for getting reviewed in any mainstream commerical publication though. Remember these are advertising driven and I doubt Beresford has much of a marketing budget, relying instead on enthusiasts here and elsewhere on the web, like Herandu to champion it. It's not easy to compete with the likes of Cambridge Audio who have the financial clout of Julian Richer behind them.

The T-Amp is a similar case in point. When you consider how much impact that has had as a product, I have only ever seen it reviewed once in Hi-Fi World by Lucio Cadeddu of TNT, after it had been the talk of the chatrooms for months and months.

Jan 14, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #17 of 50
It would seem like there's an entire saga here stretching over several internet forums and various threads all ending up into accusations of shills for Beresford.

It's a quite interesting read lol, but I dont' know why there's been such vehement opposition. fanboys will be fanboys right? i mean if you've used something you like then obviously you're going to recommend it. there's a fanboy for every product and if it weren't for people like that I doubt I would have heard about all the choices I could have had.

In my own case, Herandu PM'd me about an upcoming DAC from Beresford, after getting a idea of the specs, I'd say it's probably a good buy against my original choices (<£200).

Jan 14, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #18 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by AS1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been off this board for months since I'm done with my setup, but took a quick view here today.
I had expected that Herandu would have backed off by now, after, for instance my "the Herandu files" thread. I guess that was too much to expect...

Regardless of your distaste for Herandu, the Beresford TC-7510 MK3/6 is a decent unit. If you have no DAC, this one is an excellent value. Does it outshine higher priced Monarchy, Stello or Lavry DACs? Probably not, but you still get a noticeable improvement in sound quality with the Beresford unit. The Beresford is a stepping stone to higher quality.

Jan 15, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #19 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regardless of your distaste for Herandu, the Beresford TC-7510 MK3/6 is a decent unit. If you have no DAC, this one is an excellent value. Does it outshine higher priced Monarchy, Stello or Lavry DACs? Probably not, but you still get a noticeable improvement in sound quality with the Beresford unit. The Beresford is a stepping stone to higher quality.

Very well said, and good to see you are still enjoying your Beresford Dac! BTW, did yo finish implementing the mod?

Jan 15, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #20 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see no similar attacks on the fanboys of the V-DAC, DacMagic, Zero Dac,

Are there any as zealous as you?

More to the point, do you ever post to say anything other than the Beresford is Another Awesome Giant Killer, or all things to all dac users, etc?

I know for my own part you convinced me not to even bother trying one, I wouldn't be surprised if you had the same effect on others.

Jan 15, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #21 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read so many raving reviews of this DAC (from here and from our local hifi forum by members to whom I have some trust). So it's not that difficult for me to believe if someone thinks this DAC outperforms many times more expensive gear.

Yes, but those are two separate things. I have been recommending this DAC multiple times too, because for its price it is really good.
But that's certainly not the same as saying it outperforms the high end. You will have to look really hard to find someone who claims that, except of course for Herandu.
The best upgrade I did was actually the DAC upgrade, more than my headphone upgrades.

Jan 15, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #22 of 50
Quote:

Yes, but those are two separate things. I have been recommending this DAC multiple times too, because for its price it is really good.
But that's certainly not the same as saying it outperforms the high end. You will have to look really hard to find someone who claims that, except of course for Herandu.
The best upgrade I did was actually the DAC upgrade, more than my headphone upgrades.

This is kind of ironic but one guy at our local forum just switched from Bel Canto DAC2 to Beresford and said that Beresford outperforms BC 6-0. He immediately sold his DAC2 after getting Beresford. But as I said, these are purely subjective opinions which depend on the whole equipment chain. We all have our own opinions, hopefully.

Jan 15, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #23 of 50
Quote:

This is kind of ironic but one guy at our local forum just switched from Bel Canto DAC2 to Beresford and said that Beresford outperforms BC 6-0. He immediately sold his DAC2 after getting Beresford. But as I said, these are purely subjective opinions which depend on the whole equipment chain. We all have our own opinions, hopefully.

He's probably part of the 10% who have a very specific taste or a problem/mismatch with other components in their chain. That's why one should look at the opinion of the vast majority to start with. Which is in this case, the Beresford is excellent for it's price range but isn't on the high-end level.

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #24 of 50
Quote:

He's probably part of the 10% who have a very specific taste or a problem/mismatch with other components in their chain. That's why one should look at the opinion of the vast majority to start with. Which is in this case, the Beresford is excellent for it's price range but isn't on the high-end level.

You can't be serious with this reply. Basically, if someone prefers Beresford to something more expensive or their opinion differ from yours, then they have problems/mismatches in their setups?
confused.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #25 of 50
You guys do understand that this type of conversation is the best free advertisement for the Beresford?

Beresford has a ****ty headphone amp, and the dac doesn't suit headphone setups.

When you pair the dac with a highend stereo equipment you can just wonder how something dirtcheap as this sounds so great.
If some of you guys would hang in some other forums you might have noticed that for example oldschool Naim guys have transfered their 5k€ cdp and Benchmark DAC1s (head-fi approved) to Beresfords (MOD21) and never enjoyed music better.

Oh and BTW.
I moved from the BC DAC2 -> Beresford 6/4 and never has my Almarros sang so good and my feet tapped so nicely.
It's not the price that counts it's the sound.

Jan 15, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #26 of 50
Quote:

You can't be serious with this reply. Basically, if someone prefers Beresford to something more expensive or their opinion differ from yours, then they have problems/mismatches in their setups?
confused.gif

Do you have difficulty reading?? I'm doing statements based on 90% opinions, not just my own.

Jan 15, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #27 of 50
Nevermind about righteous American indignation when it comes to the very idea that they shouldn't have any less than the top 5 Orchestra's in the world ever, whatever that means...

but what about the fact that Stanley Beresford seems to have created the most controversial DAC never to come out of Scandinavia....looking at your sigs
devil_face.gif

oh the strange world of Head-Fi we inhabit...

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #28 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very well said, and good to see you are still enjoying your Beresford Dac! BTW, did yo finish implementing the mod?

The Beresford sounds even better when I run it through my Bottlehead Foreplay III linestage!!

I still have not finished the mod as I am waiting to put together a bigger order with Mouser. When you demo'ed the Beresford, I had cut a few traces and installed some jumpers. The final art of the mod is to replace a surface mount chip, something I have never attempted. Good thing I go a side tip for the soldering iron.

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #29 of 50
Guys, I do not have golden ears and as I age the slowly are getting worse.
frown.gif
But as I stated earlier I had an opportunity to test/listen to breakfastchef's Beresford and I liked it a lot. At under $200 including S&H it was/is a major bargain.

I then took it to vorlon1's office and he liked it a lot as well. Is it as good as my Monarchy NM24 DAC fed by a Monarchy AC Regenerator? I prefer the Monarchy, but I am comparing over $2,500 worth of gear w/ under $200.

I think some are to hung up on what is better or best, it does not exist. At best a person may say he prefers one over another. In closing I will repeat a fellow Head-Fier: If it sounds good to you it is good.

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #30 of 50
So to summarize, it's possible some people like the beresford, but it's certainly not an unconditional across the board appreciation
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back