Beresford TC-7510 does it again!!!
Jan 11, 2009 at 8:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Herandu

Banned: Shares IP addresses with DC Lee StanleyB1
I see that in the February issue of HIFI Choice the Beresford TC-7510 has been voted Best Buy. Their headline statement 'Budget priced DAC boasts amazing level of detail' says it all and underlines what many of us on head-fi have been writing about this DAC since it first came to our attention some time ago.

The review also has some laboratory test measurements that are unbelievably impressive for even an expensive DAC, let alone one that is not much more than a bit of lose change. The mainstream HIFI magazines might have been a bit slow in picking it out of the crowd, but that's two Best Buy awards for the DAC from two different magazines in less than a few months. Even more shocking is that its lab report was better than far more expensive and the highly regarded Apogee Mini-Dac, and the Cyrux DAC-X that costs about ten times more!

Who ever said you got to spend big to get something better than the Beresford sure had their facts right. I called the Beresford a giant killer more than a year ago. These lab reports against some respected high-end DACs finally back up those claims.

[size=large]2009-03-05 1515 EST MODERATOR NOTE: This thread was closed because the original poster (Herandu) shares IP addresses with StanleyB1 (Stanley Beresford) and DC Lee.[/size]

Jan 11, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #2 of 50
Out of slight curiosity, was it also compared to the Bryston BDA-1 in that issue? I know from a quick glance of the cover that the DAC is talked about in the same issue, but not sure if it was included in the comparison.

Jan 11, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #3 of 50
Nope, the Bryston was not included in the test and nor did they do any lab report on it.
It's funny you mention the Bryston though. I like the fact that it can be used as a server DAC. I was looking for something for just that purpose and ended up buying a Freecom wireless HD media server to connect to my TC-7510 via the coax output on the Freecom. I am still busy tweaking my set up, but I can already see a number of potentials. Right now I can operate the whole thing via my Nokia N95 phone and stream music from the Freecom to the phone over my wireless network or via the internet!!! I am still gob smacked that it is even possible.
But I digress.

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #5 of 50
Apparently Stanley Beresford changed some things for the better in his last batch so I don't know if this still applies but, for what it's worth I spoke with someone (rpveld) and he liked his Zero better.

Jan 11, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #6 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see that in the February issue of HIFI Choice the Beresford TC-7510 has been voted Best Buy. Their headline statement 'Budget priced DAC boasts amazing level of detail' says it all and underlines what many of us on head-fi have been writing about this DAC since it first came to our attention some time ago.

The review also has some laboratory test measurements that are unbelievably impressive for even an expensive DAC, let alone one that is not much more than a bit of lose change. The mainstream HIFI magazines might have been a bit slow in picking it out of the crowd, but that's two Best Buy awards for the DAC from two different magazines in less than a few months. Even more shocking is that its lab report was better than far more expensive and the highly regarded Apogee Mini-Dac, and the Cyrux DAC-X that costs about ten times more!

Who ever said you got to spend big to get something better than the Beresford sure had their facts right. I called the Beresford a giant killer more than a year ago. These lab reports against some respected high-end DACs finally back up those claims.

The lab reports are in everyone! The Beresford tests positive for hifiawesomilia! If only it was that easy. IMHO, most "scientific" data is only interesting to those who have no ears and need data to validate what they can't hear. I've read many issues of Hifi Choice and I think those lab results are ridiculous and have no correlation to real world listening.

Not to say that the Beresford isn't good. It's obviously a fine DAC with all the rave reviews and awards and such. I just hate it when someone reads some review from a craptastic hifi rag in Britain and thinks it's some kind of revelation from God or something. Those Brits are known to be pretty nationalistic when it comes to music and hi-fi.

For example, Did anyone see that Gramophone Magazine ranked the London Symphony in the top five of the worlds greatest orchestras!? The are not bad, but suck in comparison to half of the second tier orchestras in the United States. This is the kind of British nonsense that I'm talking about.

Jan 11, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #7 of 50
A few months ago thanks to the generosity of breakfastchef I had the opportunity to listen to the Beresford TC-7510 and was very impressed by its performance. It also has a nice headphone amp built in which makes it even a better buy for someone on a budget.

If the newest version is even better I would love to listen to it, unfortunately currently my funds are slated for car repairs.
frown.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO, most "scientific" data is only interesting to those who have no ears and need data to validate what they can't hear.

Measurements are useful up to a point, they can tell you how far from fidelity your audio system is. This breaks down when you get to competent digital kit (apart from tweaked stuff and bizarre approaches like Wadia's 3db roll off) where the measured quality is generally beyond reproach.

Quote:

I've read many issues of Hifi Choice and I think those lab results are ridiculous and have no correlation to real world listening.

Can you explain why the lab results are ridiculous, is it you do not believe the results or do you think they are testing the wrong things, can you give specific examples.

Quote:

Those Brits are known to be pretty nationalistic when it comes to music and hi-fi.

And other nations are not ?

Jan 12, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #9 of 50
I have the Beresford Mk6/3, the Zero with HDAMs upgrade, and I would have to say the Zero sound betters, as both a DAC and a HA. I've always wondered what sound improvement you'd get with a HDAM module in the Beresford.
Currently both these DACs are boxed as I went with the Audio-gd DAC 3SE, which is quite an astonishing bit of kit.

Actually, atm I'm listening to the IBasso D3 out of my laptop, and its also a very good DAC/HA combo, not quite up with the Zero with HDAM, but as clear and crisp as the Beresford - probably a better HA than DAC, whilst the Beresford is perhaps the otherway round.

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #10 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Beresford Mk6/3,

Consider having MOD21 fitted in order to bring it up to 6/4 spec. It's a completely new and more exciting experience Multi layered music now has a better depth and definition, and signal decay like on guitars and pianos are more clearly defined. I think the mod details are available for download if you know how to wield a soldering iron.
I have done the mod so that I could compare the V-DAC and DacMagic against the MK6/4 and I know which one ha more PRaT
wink_face.gif

Jan 13, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by doomlordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have this issue, while the beresford scores very well the dacmagic is clearly a more versatile and overall a better dac for just £70 more.

What ever happened to the dacmagic reviews that were supposed to pour in? Does noone have one yet?

re: british music: Ya'll produced some great metal and punk, but your delta blues output has been horrible
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #13 of 50
Quote:

i have this issue, while the beresford scores very well the dacmagic is clearly a more versatile and overall a better dac for just £70 more.

Looking at the Beresford website I worked out that for £135 or less the Beresford can be delivered to anywhere in the world.
Looking at the Cambridge website the DacMagic price does not include delivery, and the £200 only applies to the UK. After some extensive searching and exchange rate calculation it actually works out that in some parts of the world the two DACs differ by a price factor of two or more to 1. i.e you could get two pieces of Beresfords delivered, instead of one DacMagic picked up from the shop. So the £70 you quote is factually incorrect.

Jan 14, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #14 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at the Beresford website I worked out that for £135 or less the Beresford can be delivered to anywhere in the world.
Looking at the Cambridge website the DacMagic price does not include delivery, and the £200 only applies to the UK. After some extensive searching and exchange rate calculation it actually works out that in some parts of the world the two DACs differ by a price factor of two or more to 1. i.e you could get two pieces of Beresfords delivered, instead of one DacMagic picked up from the shop. So the £70 you quote is factually incorrect.

No it isnt , i can get it for £200 delivered or walk around to Richer sounds and get one for £199, i dont care what it costs you or anyone else the difference for me is £70.

Jan 14, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

i can get it for £200 delivered or walk around to Richer sounds and get one for £199, i dont care what it costs you or anyone else the difference for me is £70.

Thanks for clarifying that the price difference is based on your personal circumstances. Not many of us on head-fi live round the corner from Richer Sound, and nobody living outside the UK can even order one from them.
The Beresford doesn't suffer from any of those commercial or logistical restrictions on trade and acquisitions
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back