Beresford TC-7510 DAC MKII
Nov 30, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #61 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer stand alone over combos..I don't buy DVD/VHS combo's, & don't like buying amp/dac combo's..

Yes, I know what you mean. For me the Beresford is first and foremost a DAC - the headphone amp is just a handy extra - I'm no headphone nut, but I strongly suspect that, unlike IMO the DAC, the headphone amp can readily be beaten by much of the stuff that is standard fare on HeadFi.

Nov 30, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #62 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I knew this was the case from the beginning -- I had a TCC phono stage. Same case work. It's an OEM manufacturer and nothing fancy. To me the pictures from the insides look like the designer simply copied the Typical Circuit Connection. Far from a good design, that is.

Still, if someone is willing to send me one (I'll pay shipping both ways) I'd like to give it a fair review.

Hey, someone should take him up on that!
cool.gif

Nov 30, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #63 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by jandl100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I know what you mean. For me the Beresford is first and foremost a DAC - the headphone amp is just a handy extra - I'm no headphone nut, but I strongly suspect that, unlike IMO the DAC, the headphone amp can readily be beaten by much of the stuff that is standard fare on HeadFi.

I can report that the headphone amp of this device is barely enough to drive K340. but it is still not that bad. in other word, i can live with it.
i guess, if you're on budget and want to try to this whole new dac/headphone amp for newbee, than this is one solid entry option.

Nov 30, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #64 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmacbeastie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About the Google search, I always see Headfi in the top search results no matter which product I search. Hell, that is how I found Headfi and this hobby, a Google search for headphones. I kept seeing these damned forum links when what I wanted was a review. Finally I clicked one and the rest is history and so was my budget... Hello headfi! The product I was searching for was the HD650. I don't think that there is a dude at Sennheiser making this happen do you?

Would you call this site a cult or a religion? :p

Nov 30, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #66 of 338
I have now heard back from Stanley Beresford. Here is his reply to me concerning the relationship to the TCC DAC/Amp: -

________

The TC-7510 has been developed by Translink (TCC) and me. The owner is a good friend of mine.I used to have a close relationship with his daughter when she was studying at university in the UK. When she went back to Taiwan she became the MD of her dad's company. I developed many products with them when working for another company.Those products were sold in Maplin, by B-TECH, CPC etc. Now that I have decided to go it alone, I have cut an agreement whereby we do the R&D together. They sell a cheaper version of the product, and I sell a more refined version.
The original DAC is the TC-7500. We changed the switches and added a headphone socket, the TC-7500 circuit and some ICs were obviously upgraded.

The seller in the US is Phonopreamp, who also sells other products found on my site.

So there you have it.

Stanley

Dec 1, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #67 of 338
Hi

I'm new - to this site, to standalone DACs and to headphone amps. They don't come greener than that. What's more I live in Oz, perfectly placed to umpire between the US, the UK and Taiwan: shills are quite unknown here.

OK, enough of that. Here's my take on the Beresford. I ordered the Mk II on eBay Australia (price 90 UK pounds incl postage = A$227=US$180) Beresford emailed to ask which case I wanted, because they'd run out of black Beresfords. The choice lay between a champagne Beresford and a black TEC (TCC). I chose that.

What arrived from Taiwan was the product advertised by TCC to which Mevyn links one post back.

Just a branding? Maybe: the specs are identical. But now we have this email from Beresford which offers to explain matters, but includes the following phrase:

They [TCC] sell a cheaper version of the product, and I sell a more refined version.

So which goddam version have I got? Of what do the refinements consist?

As for the sound, I concur with people here who say:
(a) it's lousy out of the box
(b) even 24 hours of burn-in brings it up nicely.

At this point it rivals the DAC in my Musical Fidelity 3.0 (24/96) and it clearly has a way to go. Its headphone performance into Grado SR80s is still some way behind the Creative Audigy break-out box h'phone socket.

So Im a reasonably happy punter. But the confusion remains - and while it does, Stanley Beresford is on a loser. Fix it, Stanley. Specify the refinements and be clear about how two different versions of the product can arrive in the same box.

I'll cc him - it's only fair. Given how it's performing, and the service so far, I don't want to complain on eBay.

The topic of this discussion has moved a long way from its starting point. Maybe Mevyn's should start a new thread, i.e. "Beresford DAC: what's in the box?"

Cheers to all - and thanks for the intensive education.

BTW, the current setup is: I MF 3.0 - the supplied Toslink to the DAC - Van den Hul D102 Mk III Hybrid - Musical Fidelity A300 amp - Duntech Statesmens. (Australian made, John Dunlavy's designs, 4 ohm, 89dB)

Dec 1, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #68 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by bruce108 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi

I'm new - to this site, to standalone DACs and to headphone amps. They don't come greener than that. What's more I live in Oz, perfectly placed to umpire between the US, the UK and Taiwan: shills are quite unknown here.

OK, enough of that. Here's my take on the Beresford. I ordered the Mk II on eBay Australia (price 90 UK pounds incl postage = A$227=US$180) Beresford emailed to ask which case I wanted, because they'd run out of black Beresfords. The choice lay between a champagne Beresford and a black TEC (TCC). I chose that.

What arrived from Taiwan was the product advertised by TCC to which Mevyn links one post back.

Just a branding? Maybe: the specs are identical. But now we have this email from Beresford which offers to explain matters, but includes the following phrase:

They [TCC] sell a cheaper version of the product, and I sell a more refined version.

At this point it rivals the DAC in my Musical Fidelity 3.0 (24/96) and it clearly has a way to go. Its headphone performance into Grado SR80s is still some way behind the Creative Audigy break-out box h'phone socket.

So Im a reasonably happy punter. But the confusion remains - and while it does, Stanley Beresford is on a loser. Fix it, Stanley. Specify the refinements and be clear about how two different versions of the product can arrive in the same box.

I'll cc him - it's only fair. Given how it's performing, and the service so far, I don't want to complain on eBay.

The topic of this discussion has moved a long way from its starting point. Maybe Mevyn's should start a new thread, i.e. "Beresford DAC: what's in the box?"

BTW, the current setup is: I MF 3.0 - the supplied Toslink to the DAC - Van den Hul D102 Mk III Hybrid - Musical Fidelity A300 amp - Duntech Statesmens. (Australian made, John Dunlavy's designs, 4 ohm, 89dB)

Well he was clearly dishonest with someone; either he was dishonest about selling a more refined version, or he was dishonest with you for not telling you that the champagne one was going to be better than the black TEC version. Either way it reflects poorly.

Dec 1, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #69 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by bruce108 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi

Do you mean the XDAC3?

Dec 1, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #70 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean the XDAC3?

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the DAC in his MF CD player.

Dec 1, 2006 at 7:28 AM Post #71 of 338
Yes. I meant the DAC in my Musical Fidelity 3.0 CD Player. It's the equivalent of their current model 3.5. MF see it as entry-level hi-end, but people on that eminence see it as midfi. Either way, it's fairly costly gear and on paper should comfortably outperform a $150 DAC: it doesn't. I'll post again when the DAC's had enough burn-in to stabilise.

Let's hope Beresford can sort all this out to everyone's satisfaction.

Cheers

Dec 1, 2006 at 7:31 AM Post #72 of 338
OK - I've had another email from Beresford, which I tack on below. He clearly has not been following (or even aware of) this thread and seems a little bemused by it. He didn't intend for the TC-7510 to be a "hi-end" bit of kit (although it sure sounds it to me!) and is in fact currently in R&D for a better / more expensive (but not by much
wink.gif
) unit. The claims he makes for component layout certainly ring true for me as Musical Fidelity have been saying this for years, also - and they do the Value For Money trick too (IMO).

Anyway, here's what Beresford emailed me ...

The more expensive version will hopefully be out in the spring of next year.My aim is to do what I did with other products I designed when working for my previous employer. And that is to ask the customers what they want, and at what price. Everybody would want a high end DAC.

I read some of the comments on head-fi. I am actually disappointed in what some people wrote. I always offered everyone the chance that if the DAC didn't live up to their expectations after a few days of use, to get in touch with me. You know that yourself, and you followed that route. I am not trying to fleece anyone.If it is that easy to design a good sounding DAC at such an attractive price, why are others not doing it as well?
I used high frequency RF component lay out techniques to tame unwanted HF and RF interference, digital signal losses, track capacitance etc. That's why I used surface mount resistors and caps in large parts of the digital circuit. Those surface mount components don't exhibit inductance and reactance compared to standard resistors and caps. So I don't have to develop signal feedback loops to correct for signal distortions. These feedback loops take a bit of the edges from signals. It is not the use of the components that makes my unit sound good.It is the attention to the layout. We spent many months moving components about on the PCB until we were happy with how adjacent components interacted with each other. How many audio designers take that into consideration? Video, digital and RF engineers have to however. I use that knowledge to get the best out of what I have. My circuit might look less than impressive, but those short tracks and compact layout hold the key in this case. If anyone takes the same circuit and tries to build it using standard resistors and caps, and spread the components out, it won't sound the same. Amazing that! Now if anyone of the experts on head-fi can tell me why the two designs would sounds different, I'll be impressed at their knowledge. I use laser trimmed surface mount components, whilst the TCC uses standard production line surface mount parts. Even the chips I use are the close tolerance versions. And once I switch the bigger caps to better ones, things might take off.
I have a TCC version you can borrow and compare if the guys on head-fi think I am talking BS and that the two boards are in fact the same. They are not, and you only have to listen to the two to hear the difference.

Any idea what I shall call my high end DAC?

Stanley

End Quote.

I think it's clear that there ARE 2 versions of this DAC, but they are being marketed separately and distinctly - he's got his own name on the better one - fair enough? Personally, at first blush, I think so.
The eBay ad for the TCC unit seems to be in error - it clearly states that the TCC unit is the same as the Beresford one being marketed elsewhere. Beresford says that, in important ways, it is not the same at all.

So, sorry Bruce, but the Beresford-branded one seems to be the better researched and produced product - and is the one I've been raving about. Why not contact Beresford and see if he'd do a swap, or send one for comparison?

Dec 1, 2006 at 9:18 AM Post #74 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now look at what this thread made me do -- I asked Stanley for a review unit.

Heh, heh !
icon10.gif
Go for it !!

Just make sure you get a Beresford-branded one ... and run it in for a few days before serious assessment - the thing sounds truly awful straight out of the box.

Dec 1, 2006 at 9:21 AM Post #75 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by jandl100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, heh !
icon10.gif
Go for it !!

I think we can now safely assume that he isn't Stanley.
If you are, hurry up and reply your email will you?
biggrin.gif

EDIT:

Stanley speaks dutch! Awesome, and he's agreed to send me one. Unfortunatly I most likely won't be able to hear it for the first time untill Christmass because of my location and hopping around between two countries. Definitely looking forward to hearing it, Stanley seems like a great guy with enough experience to make a great dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back