Beresford 7510 MK 6 Mini Review/comparison
Sep 17, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #181 of 324
Thanks. I will try to contact him again when his server is back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sent him a text on his cell phone number listed on eBay to see what's wrong. It appears his email and website hosting service are upgrading their servers. Apparently the poor chap can't even list anything on eBay or view any order enquiries till they are finished.
Good news is that his new toslink cable design will be ready for shipping this month. The 4mm ones he supplies are not bad, but a bit thin for my liking. I have always had better jitter test results with 7mm or higher. I look forward to trying out the new ones, which are 7mm thick apparently.

Sep 17, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #182 of 324
happyhifi...can you shed any light of the sound differences between the Beresford and the Ori modded Zhaolu? the OMZ was on my list as an upgrade to the tc7510 but a Lavry DA10 showed up first Used.

Sep 18, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #183 of 324
Copied from my post 3 months ago. (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...6&postcount=95)

Regarding to the power supply of Beresford, I tried my Astron RS7A on it earlier and couldn't tell any difference so I am using stock PS for this round of listenning.

Overall Beresford is very good. It produces natural sound and notes are accurate. As a whole unit it is very balanced, without atificial tremble and over-bass. Since I use it frequently at work I am very used to its signature, and never feel fatigue after hours of listening.

But when OMZ kicks in, I realize this is the music that really touches me. Comparing to Beresford it is more detailed, with better instruments separation and most importantly, the sound stage is huge. I was attracted to it so much that sometimes I forgot I was doing the comparison.

Music listened: Pink Floyd, Beethoven, Eagles, Norah Johns, Sarah Brightman, etc

Components used:

Ori Modded Zhaolu 2.5A ver 1.3 (with switch on the back for coxial and toslink), Volex 17604
Beresford TC-7510 IV with stock PS
APE to Prodigy flashed AV710 toslink/Trends Audio UD-10 coxial out/Toshiba 3990 coxial out
Pre-amp/headphone amp: Phil PA-HA-6000 MK3 (with Volex 17604)
Headphones: Senn HD580, Yuin PK1
Amp: Trends Audio TA-10.1
Speakers: JBL 4410
Coxial cable: BJC Belden 1694A
IC: BJC LC-1

Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
happyhifi...can you shed any light of the sound differences between the Beresford and the Ori modded Zhaolu? the OMZ was on my list as an upgrade to the tc7510 but a Lavry DA10 showed up first Used.

Sep 18, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #185 of 324
Well, the OMZ is the best dac under $500 so it would make sense that it's better than the 7510. Modding will close the gap a bit of course. Honestly, I plan on comparing the 7510 to my PS Audio and selling the one I don't prefer. Then using the $$ to get an OMZ and sending the other DAC upstairs to my secondary system.

Sep 18, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #186 of 324
I would love to apply the mod to my 7510 but I don't have the description yet since Stanley's email is down. Also I need to find someone who can apply the mod for me
cool.gif
(never successfully did a solder job myself)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichinichi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so there is still NOTHING comparing SQ of modded 7510 to OMZ? Everything I've seen has been denouncing the 7510 pre-mk6 or mk6 stock.

Sep 18, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #187 of 324
not too many , that have given the TC7510 MKx a fair listen, have actually "denounced" DAC. It is what is is....Hold on to your TC ichi
tongue.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 7:47 AM Post #188 of 324
More opinions about the mod?
At least one person didn't like the mod. Here's a quote from hifiwigwam.com:
"I find the new Beresford DAC voicing to be kind of hyped up, bright and 2D. It's the 2D / image focus thing that sinks it for me"

One of those things I really digg about my Mk5 is the 3D effect on songs which have a female lead singer. The voice sometimes sounds very intimate, a bit in your face. At the same time the music is a few rows back. I really like it. I wouldn't want that messed up by the mod.

The mod is supposed to bring more bass in the low end? I guess that's good.
On most songs it's just a little bit lacking in deep bass. I tweaked my sound by upping the 55 Hz range by just 1 dB. I guess the mod fixes that.

Sep 24, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #189 of 324
The mod is in 3 parts. The extended bass and treble bits are OK. The 3.9K midrange mod should be left out I think. I have actually emailed Stanley and asked him to delete the 3.9K mod, but leave the 10uF and 3.3nF.

Sep 24, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #190 of 324
I need some assistance with my Beresford MKV. I hear static when I turn the volume knob of the built-in headphone amp and it doesn't go away with successive turns. Does anyone know why this might be, and how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

Sep 25, 2007 at 10:06 AM Post #191 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear static when I turn the volume knob of the built-in headphone amp and it doesn't go away with successive turns. Does anyone know why this might be, and how to fix it?

Is it also on the line outputs? If it isn't, then it could be a build up of a static charge in the headphone amp section, perhaps due to a grounding problem. This can happen with PC based coax links to the DAC. Have you asked Stanley as well?

Sep 26, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #192 of 324
Thanks for the reply, Herandu. I think the same problem happens with the line outputs too, because I hear static when I turn the volume knob on my PC speakers, which are connected to the Beresford. I've emailed Stanley but no reply so far. I've got the Beresford connected to my M-Audio Transit (USB) via a Monoprice Premium Toslink cable. It's not a big problem but annoying nonetheless...

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #193 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've emailed Stanley but no reply so far.

His email server was playing up last week. A few other people mentioned that. Email him again or send him a message via his eBay handle of home_hifi.

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #195 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by ptiJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello and sorry for the question :

Founding Beresford mk6 is easy (ebay) but did not find anywhere to buy the OMZ : where can we buy it ?
3000smile.gif

Thank you alot,
Regards

http://members.aceweb.com/orim/audio...o/Zho_mod.html

you can also PM him as he is a member on head-fi, username is Ori

Users who are viewing this thread

Back