Beresford 7510 MK 6 Mini Review/comparison
Sep 16, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #166 of 324
lol

I do it for the little people.

Actually, I started out with a budget and have been trading, swapping out gear bought with that budget years ago. I have not really spent much actual $$ in years lol. I may have even made a little $$.

Sep 16, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #167 of 324
Has anyone ever done a blind test comparing this DAC with other DACs? I would be interested in reading a review where the tester(s) is unaware of the price.

As Herendu mentioned, if I have a brand new $2000 DAC and compare it to my $200 DAC, I am going to be biased toward the one that costed me an extra $1800 whether I know it or not. I am not saying that the Lavry or any other expensive DAC does not sound better than the Beresford, but knowing the price can lead to false perceptions.

Sep 16, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #168 of 324
I get your point, but I don't find that to be the case with me. I'm always rooting for the underdog, and love owning a product that performs well beyond it's pricepoint. I've been in the hobby way to long to be fooled by pretty aluminum armour, and pedigreed nameplates consciencely or unconsciencely.

Sep 16, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #170 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by thubble /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Liquid - are you using the digital output of your Audigy 2ZS to feed the TC-7510? The problem is that the Audigy 2ZS resamples everything internally to 48kHz and does so using a very poor algorithm, so if you are listening to (e.g.) CD audio (44.1kHz) the 2ZS will degrade the sound a lot even on the digital output. I've noticed that, despite all the TC-7510's good qualities, it does NOT handle a less-than-perfect signal too well. This makes it sound pretty bad on not-well-recorded music (e.g. modern rock/pop) as well as badly-resampled music.

If you're currently using something like Foobar2000 to resample to 48kHz using a better algorithm then this would alleviate the problem a bit, but you still might want to try using a better source (even a half-decent CD player would work). Or, alternatively, buy a better sound card (the Chaintech AV-710 gets good reviews and only costs $25 - even its DAC may beat the Audigy).

I am using Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum pro pci version not usb http://www.sudhian.com/index.php?/ar...ternal_i-o_hub

The outputs i am using is from the break out box. So if I am reading you correctly the zs resamples before if will ports out to the co axil or the S/PDIF. So i cant use this card as a conduit? seems others have done so but if they were using the ubs version, not heard one myself but ubs network cards (emulation) and hard drives (speed) are poor performers i would imagine sound cards to be the same, useful for people with laptops for dj'ing but cant see the use in a desktop.

As far as source is concerned really only wanted to use this with the pc, will i have to buy a cheaper card just to test the 'pure' out put of the card before any processing? think i can get a basic version of the new cards for about 60 quid. Just worried that if i do this and there is no improvement i have spent more chasing my tail. Sure i have read that ppl have experienced improvements from these creative cards.

Using the supplied power supply

Sep 16, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #172 of 324
liquid, one of the best "budget" sound cards is the Chaintech AV-710, which has a good optical out and great sound. It's also easily moddable, if you're into such things. I used to have an Audigy 4, and I think the Chaintech on my brother's PC sounded better than my card.

It costs less than 25USD - I think you should be able to find one around that price in the UK. It's not a huge investment, and you can easily resell it.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: USB and HDD's have more than enough bandwidth to put out music in a more-than-decent manner, so I don't see why USB sound cards are bad. Certainly you're not using the full PCI bandwith in your PC to the soundcard...

Sep 16, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #174 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are numerous comments and individual tests all over the net where people have tested the Beresford against a cheap or high-end DAC. Wadia, Linn, Chord, you name it. And guess what: the Beresford came out with quite impressive results in just about every case. How much do the Wadia, Chord and Linn DACs cost by the way? U$2000 plus, or level entry prices?
I too would feel upset and defend my purchase tooth and nail if I had just spent U$1000 or more on a piece of hifi, only to find that something a mere fraction of the price makes my expensive purchase a bad decision.

Most expensive stuff are mere objects of desire, with perceived value for money in order to justify their purchase. If you break down the features that the Beresford offer, there isn't a single level entry or midrange DAC with matching features! Like the 4 inputs, more than acceptable headphone amp, advanced power supply design in the MK6 ( the Virtual DC one, which has now been causing excitement on another forum), excellent customer service, quick shipment, value for money price.
Now, name me any other DAC or DAC manufacturer anywhere in the world who can match all those points. Not a single one at any price! If that's level entry, God helps the DAC market if and when Beresford decides to go a bit more upmarket. And when more people start paying better attention to his coax cable and how that too is unbelievable value for money, he'll shake out the overpriced offerings we all have been stuck with for years. Whilst we all have been debating his DAC, the cable people have been smart enough not to try to take on his cable in terms of value for money and technical construction.

Having listened to the tc7510 and a Lavry da10, I do not feel that the 7510 was impressive enough to make me defend my more expensive purchase. Maybe that is how you would do things, but don't go telling me that is how I/everybody would do things! The Lavry is just plain better. No ifs, and, or buts. Ok the Beresford is a good $200 dac and a good deal. Period. I am glad I got it and wish it had more respect. And I look forward to opinions on how it responds to fierce's Mods.
I plan on keeping the MK4 and maybe even getting it modded...it is a good deal on a DAC. But it always was lacking in something ( and I must repeat that I like this DAC very much)...I felt the need to explore into more detail, more neutral highs and refinement. It was getting a new CDP or another DAC...that's why i got a used Lavry...if it was not significantly better then it could be sold easy enough with no loss and my gain in hearing experience and I would start exploring CDP's like daltonlanny. But simply the DA10 satisfies like a (few) cold beer(s) on a hot day...or any day for that matter
cool.gif
Studies show two beers a day are beneficial for cardiac health.
icon10.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #175 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But it always was lacking in something ( and I must repeat that I like this DAC very much)...

I have a TEC TC-7510 and this is exactly what I felt.

I prefer the DAC-AH & Constantine.

Sep 16, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #176 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...it is a good deal on a DAC. But it always was lacking in something ( and I must repeat that I like this DAC very much)...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowraboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a TEC TC-7510 and this is exactly what I felt.

I prefer the DAC-AH & Constantine.

I myself look for a more coherent soundstage, and refinement, as tako_tsubo stated.

Sep 17, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #177 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowraboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi d-cee,

Your not stalking again are you?

yes, yes i am. i am tracing his each and every move.

in fact i am waiting for him to get home so i can stalk more!

Sep 17, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #178 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, yes i am. i am tracing his each and every move.

in fact i am waiting for him to get home so i can stalk more!

Gosh, am I lucky or is this femme fatal
icon10.gif

I actually put my DAC aside for a while. It's vinyl time for me
wink.gif
. I am finally getting down to designing a new arm board for my tone arm to fit on my main TT. Both are rare pieces of high value that I packed away for 2 decades and forgot about.

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #179 of 324
That is what I pair it to and it sounds great to me (actually a prodigy flashed one)

Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
liquid, one of the best "budget" sound cards is the Chaintech AV-710, which has a good optical out and great sound. It's also easily moddable, if you're into such things. I used to have an Audigy 4, and I think the Chaintech on my brother's PC sounded better than my card.

It costs less than 25USD - I think you should be able to find one around that price in the UK. It's not a huge investment, and you can easily resell it.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: USB and HDD's have more than enough bandwidth to put out music in a more-than-decent manner, so I don't see why USB sound cards are bad. Certainly you're not using the full PCI bandwith in your PC to the soundcard...

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #180 of 324
I have similar feeling. Presonus present a completely different kind of sound (people said it is colorful?) comparing to my OMZ or Beresford, which I cannot say is better or worse. Personally I like more transparent sound so for most of my time (home and work) I am listening to OMZ and Beresford.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just an update on the modification...with the mod in place, I'm really pleasantly surprised with its performance. The DAC chip in the Beresford is not too highly regarded, and while sound has as much to do with implementation as it does chip selection, it is sometimes hard to overcome the more humble starting point.

There are a couple of points of improvement I've noticed up to now. Bass is more focused with more low level detail and more presence at the extreme low end. Instrument seperation also improved a good bit, as well. The soundstage is overall more pleasing and natural. I'm impressed.

For the price, I'd say it's definitely worth it. Giant killer? I don't really think so, but it's definitely deserving of praise. I could be perfectly content with it in my system, I think (until the next upgrade-urge hit, of course
wink.gif
).

Regarding the Presonus...audio memory is always a sketchy thing, but I'm pretty sure I prefer this unit to the Presonus. The beresford strikes me as more refined and faster, resulting in more resolved sound. The Presonus still has something pleasant going on with it that I don't hear in the Beresford, but I'm fairly sure I'd still pick the latter out of the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back