Beresford 7510 MK 6 Mini Review/comparison
Sep 13, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #136 of 324
I have a MK4 and MK5 at hand and eager to do the mod (actually, need to find someone who can help doing it for me). But when I tried to email Stanley to get the mod instruction, emails sent to the following addresses both got bounced back.

Stanley@homehifi.co.uk
enquiry@homehifi.co.uk

How do you guys contact him?

Sep 13, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #137 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by happyhifibasten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a MK4 and MK5 at hand and eager to do the mod (actually, need to find someone who can help doing it for me). But when I tried to email Stanley to get the mod instruction, emails sent to the following addresses both got bounced back.

Stanley@homehifi.co.uk
enquiry@homehifi.co.uk

How do you guys contact him?

His server has been bouncing my emails back today too, so it's not just happening to you. I think he will fix it soon.

Sep 14, 2007 at 11:24 AM Post #138 of 324
I sent him a text on his cell phone number listed on eBay to see what's wrong. It appears his email and website hosting service are upgrading their servers. Apparently the poor chap can't even list anything on eBay or view any order enquiries till they are finished.
Good news is that his new toslink cable design will be ready for shipping this month. The 4mm ones he supplies are not bad, but a bit thin for my liking. I have always had better jitter test results with 7mm or higher. I look forward to trying out the new ones, which are 7mm thick apparently.

Sep 14, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #139 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundFreaq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the one that Stanley ships with the DAC any good? Anyone have any experience with it?

You know something, that coax is the heaviest copper cable in my collection, and also the least expensive. Whilst we all discuss the DAC he does, that coax cable really deserves a higher profile. It is just as much of a giant killer as the DAC is reckoned to be by many (me included). I am really looking forward to the optical cable he is also going to do. You can't accuse him of trading in a large number of different products, but the few he does are just hard to beat sound wise, and impossible to beat price wise. So that optical cable would have to be something very special for Stanley to have taken so long to release it. I 1st heard about that cable R&D late last year. It's a long time since then, so I reckon it must be something very special in some ways.

Sep 14, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #141 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichinichi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i never got any cable with mine??

It's an option, and a good deal at just a little bit more. Herandu is right, it is nicely made and pretty heavy duty. Just for fun, I compared mine to my Stereovox HDXV (or whatever their $100 model is called), and there did seem to be a little more focus and bigger stage with the Stereovox. But it wasn't HUGE in difference, and the Apex is very very good for the $ (like the DAC).

Sep 15, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #142 of 324
Hey, fierce_freak-

I believe you own or used to own a Presonus Central Station. After some more listening time with the modded Beresford unit, I would be interested in hearing your comparison with the CS. I'm just trying to gauge how decent this DAC really is.

Thanks much!

Sep 15, 2007 at 10:25 AM Post #143 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sent him a text on his cell phone number listed on eBay to see what's wrong. It appears his email and website hosting service are upgrading their servers. Apparently the poor chap can't even list anything on eBay or view any order enquiries till they are finished.
Good news is that his new toslink cable design will be ready for shipping this month. The 4mm ones he supplies are not bad, but a bit thin for my liking. I have always had better jitter test results with 7mm or higher. I look forward to trying out the new ones, which are 7mm thick apparently.

well still finding little or no difference from the creative sound card and the 7510. Little wonder really when you consider my speaker wire cost over twice the price of this dac lol a lession in that you cant get quality for little money. will leave the dac on for the weekend just to give it a final chance.

hehe one thing that made me smile the ppl that seem to take criticism of this dac personaly are good friends of the maker, no wonder i was hammered by them both for complaining about it lol

Not seem this dac in proper hi fi mags yet ie what hi fi, hi fi choice or hi fi news. If it really was worthy of the rave reviews we read here it would have certainly been featured
wink.gif

Think this is a good dac for your tandy hobbists to tinker with. If you are like me and want to but a good quality piece of kit with out having to bandage it up in the first place this may not be the unit for you

Sep 15, 2007 at 12:23 PM Post #144 of 324
Your opinion Liquid is just yours. I could care less about Stanley really. However, my opinion is that the 7510 is certainly a good deal better than any Creative sound card. I respect your opinion but again insist that there is no way in hell it sounds the same as an audigy 2zs. Something is wrong and that is that.

What Hi-Fi mags review a product which is so limited at the present time? This is, at best, an underground dac. Perhaps in a year or two someone will give it a blurb but that is about all it warrants. The 7510 is an entry level dac and no more. Hardly worthy of attention compared to $1K + components usually reviewed.

Please consider the opinion of the majority. Some people, including me, say it is as good as a stock Zhalou 2.5C. I don't bother to compare it to higher end dacs b/c it is not a high end dac. I prefer my PS Audio Dac personally. I will use the 7510 for my secondary system. It is a good dac for the $$ and I still support that opinion. If it was $100 I would be a bit more rave about it but it is about at the right price point.

Sep 15, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #145 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by liquid456 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well still finding little or no difference from the creative sound card and the 7510. Little wonder really when you consider my speaker wire cost over twice the price of this dac lol a lession in that you cant get quality for little money...

Not seem this dac in proper hi fi mags yet ie what hi fi, hi fi choice or hi fi news. If it really was worthy of the rave reviews we read here it would have certainly been featured
wink.gif

You may be right but then again how much of a difference did you hear with your expensive speaker wire?

Paradigm speakers are one of the largest speaker manufacturers in the world. Their products have garnered many rave reviews over the years. However I rarely, if ever, saw them mentioned in What Hi-Fi or Hi-Fi Choice.

I figure I got my money's worth with my Mark 4. In my humble system it actually does some things better than my $600 Paradisea.

As for the Tandy hobbyist thing - I have yet to see a product on this forum that somebody hasn't tried to fiddle with. The motto here is "If it ain't broken - break it and then try to fix it better if not try to put back the way it was in the first place then sell it on eBay and get a more expensive one and start over"
Which reminds me - what's the lowdown on that Beresford mod?

Sep 15, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #146 of 324
I am still waiting on mine. Fierce just finished two days ago and is giving it time to settle in a bit.

Sep 15, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #147 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by liquid456 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Think this is a good dac for your tandy hobbists to tinker with. If you are like me and want to but a good quality piece of kit with out having to bandage it up in the first place this may not be the unit for you

Just courios about your DAC power input?AC Strip is not good for this DAC.

I compare my MK1 & EMU-1212M past ,and i can tell The beresford more
better than 1212M...especially in Dynamatics

Sep 15, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #148 of 324
Liquid - are you using the digital output of your Audigy 2ZS to feed the TC-7510? The problem is that the Audigy 2ZS resamples everything internally to 48kHz and does so using a very poor algorithm, so if you are listening to (e.g.) CD audio (44.1kHz) the 2ZS will degrade the sound a lot even on the digital output. I've noticed that, despite all the TC-7510's good qualities, it does NOT handle a less-than-perfect signal too well. This makes it sound pretty bad on not-well-recorded music (e.g. modern rock/pop) as well as badly-resampled music.

If you're currently using something like Foobar2000 to resample to 48kHz using a better algorithm then this would alleviate the problem a bit, but you still might want to try using a better source (even a half-decent CD player would work). Or, alternatively, buy a better sound card (the Chaintech AV-710 gets good reviews and only costs $25 - even its DAC may beat the Audigy).

Sep 15, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #149 of 324
LoL

Now that I think about it. There was a time recently when I was stuck with my 2ZS optical out and I really was not happy with anything I was hearing until I got an X-Fi again and was able to use coax out as well as bit-perfect playback at 48hz. The magic was back. Hmmm. If I did not fear having to reformat b/c of some Creative driver glitch I would go back to the 2zs just to check.

Sep 15, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #150 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by thubble /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Liquid - are you using the digital output of your Audigy 2ZS to feed the TC-7510? The problem is that the Audigy 2ZS resamples everything internally to 48kHz and does so using a very poor algorithm, so if you are listening to (e.g.) CD audio (44.1kHz) the 2ZS will degrade the sound a lot even on the digital output. I've noticed that, despite all the TC-7510's good qualities, it does NOT handle a less-than-perfect signal too well. This makes it sound pretty bad on not-well-recorded music (e.g. modern rock/pop) as well as badly-resampled music.

If you're currently using something like Foobar2000 to resample to 48kHz using a better algorithm then this would alleviate the problem a bit, but you still might want to try using a better source (even a half-decent CD player would work). Or, alternatively, buy a better sound card (the Chaintech AV-710 gets good reviews and only costs $25 - even its DAC may beat the Audigy).

That's my guess as well.

Liquid, try hooking up a CDP to your Beresford. It may get a nice edge that it didn't have before (a bit-perfect 16/44.1 vs a very poor 48khz resample).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back